Xfce 4.10

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
dennis74

Xfce 4.10

Post by dennis74 »

Xfce 4.10 is due to release april 28th. When will it be available in Linux Mint Debian Xfce?

I'm very happy with LMDE (201109). Installed it, updated to UP4, installed wine and nvidia drivers and conky, and works like a charm, only shutdown doesn't shutdown the laptop (Dell E6520) completely, hangs after 'saving systemclock'. Suspend to RAM works, but Suspend to disk (hibernate) doesn't.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Chris M

Re: Xfce 4.10

Post by Chris M »

LMDX is Debian Testing-based. The current Testing, Wheezy, is due to be frozen some time in June. When 4.10 gets released, it will go into the Unstable (SID) repositories before it flows down into Testing. The question is whether it will flow into Testing before Wheezy is frozen in June. I don't know if it will make it on time or not, but I'm leaning toward the "it won't make it on time" side.

But even if it doesn't make it into Wheezy, you could always reach up into the Debian Unstable/SID repositories and install 4.10 - probably without any issues.

If 4.10 doesn't make it on time, unless clem forces the issue on his end, it won't officially make it in LMDX until some future Update Pack includes it in 2013 after Wheezy goes Stable and SID goes Testing.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

My guess is that it will stay with 4.8. KDE 4.8 still isn't in the testing repo (the version in testing is 4.7.4), and it was released a on January 25th, meaning exactly 12 weeks ago. 12 weeks from April 28th is in the middle of July, which is a while after the code freeze. I really don't think that 4.10 is coming into testing for a while. As for getting it from sid, that is probably a little bit risky, but possible. There also might be a repo for xfce 4.10 that you could try.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

Elements of Xfce 4.10 are beginning to find their way into the Experimental repository, so a partial upgrade is now possible, provided you take great care. However, a complete upgrade cannot yet be achieved without breaking anything.
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

All the relevant Xfce 4.10 packages are now in the Experimental repository. I've just had a go at a complete upgrade, and so far it appears to have gone through with no problems.

In addition to upgrading the various packages with "xfce4" in the package name to v.4.10.0-1, it's also necessary to upgrade Thunar and its main related packages to v.1.4.0-1, four exo-related packages to v.0.8.0-1, and if you are using libgarcon for your menus, its two related packages to v.0.2.0-1.

There may be problems with some panel plugins whose authors haven't yet updated them for the new version of Xfce. I don't use any of those plugins, so I'm not directly affected.

No doubt these various packages will show up in the Unstable repository before too long, but I got tired of waiting!
ashfaq

Post by ashfaq »

Brian49 wrote:All the relevant Xfce 4.10 packages are now in the Experimental repository. I've just had a go at a complete upgrade, and so far it appears to have gone through with no problems.

In addition to upgrading the various packages with "xfce4" in the package name to v.4.10.0-1, it's also necessary to upgrade Thunar and its main related packages to v.1.4.0-1, four exo-related packages to v.0.8.0-1, and if you are using libgarcon for your menus, its two related packages to v.0.2.0-1.

There may be problems with some panel plugins whose authors haven't yet updated them for the new version of Xfce. I don't use any of those plugins, so I'm not directly affected.

No doubt these various packages will show up in the Unstable repository before too long, but I got tired of waiting!
I got this tutorial online, just have a look at it it seems a bit old, if you give me go ahead I will follow it for including the repository or some things need to be changed, please guide!
Install Debian packages from the unstable or
experimental repositories
english | deutsch
LMDE is based on Debain testing, which is a good choice, since it is the most stable
rolling Debian version. But what if you want to install packages from the unstable or
experimental Debian repositories, because you need a program or newer version of a
programm which isn't in the testing repositories, yet. There is an easy way of doing
that, but first:
WARNING: DO NOT INSTALL PACKAGES FROM THE "UNSTABLE" OR
"EXPERIMENTAL" REPOSITORIES, IF YOU DO NOT KNOW, WHAT YOU ARE
DOING. DOING SO *COULD* BREAK YOUR SYSTEM.
I think, you saw that one coming. Now let's start.
1. At first we need to pin the packages in all Debian-branches except the testing
branch. There are many ways to do this. I chose the most conservative way, which
only installs from unstable or experimental if I say so. (see http://wiki.debian.org
/AptPreferences#NotesfromJoshuaRodman) We edit /etc/apt/preferences as
follows:
Package: *
Pin: release o=linuxmint
Pin-Priority: 700
Pin: origin packages.linuxmint.com
Pin-Priority: 700
Wednesday 09 May 2012 11:41 AM
Install Debian packages from the unstable or experiment...
3 of 4
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/250
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 500
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: -10
Pin: release a=experimental
Pin-Priority: -10
The -10 priority for all unstable and experimental packages prevents those from being
installed or updated automatically. The 500 priority for the testing branch allows
packages from the testing branch to be installed automatically.
2. When apt is aware of that, we can add the unstable and experimental repositories
to our sources.list located at /etc/apt/sources.list. Just add those two lines at the
end of the file:
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian experimental main contrib non-free
3. Now we should update apt so that it can find the new packages. Run:
sudo apt-get update
4. To install a package from the unstable or experimental repository we have two
options. The first one is the safer one, as it only updates exactly the package I chose.
(If the package has dependencies, which are not in the testing branch, it won't install)
sudo apt-get install PACKAGENAME/unstable
sudo apt-get install PACKAGENAME/experimental
The second one also installs dependencies only available in the unstable or
experimental branch.
sudo apt-get -t unstable install PACKAGENAME
sudo apt-get -t experimental install PACKAGENAME
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

As far as I can see, that tutorial explains how to do a general system upgrade. We want to upgrade only Xfce-related packages.

(1) First, back up your system, so that you can restore it if things go badly wrong. There is advice in these forums on various ways to do that.

(2) To enable the Experimental repository, edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list as root, and add this line:

Code: Select all

(3) Start the Synaptic package manager and click on the Reload button at the top left.

(4) Select the Status view from the options at the bottom left.

(5) In the Status list in the left-hand pane, click on the line "Installed (upgradable)". The list of upgradable packages should include the ones for Xfce 4.10.

(6) Mark only these packages for upgrade (right-click on a package to bring up a context menu):

- all packages with names beginning "xf" or "libxf"
- all packages with names containing "thunar"
- all packages with names containing "exo"
- all packages with names beginining "libgarcon" (if you have that installed).

(7) Use the search function (Ctrl+F) to find these two packages, and mark them for installation (right-click again):
ibxfce4ui-utils
xfce4-appfinder

(8) Apply the changes, and close Synaptic.

(9) Go back to the file /etc/apt/sources.list and delete the entry for the Experimental repository.
ashfaq

Post by ashfaq »

After adding the Repository, I went for update in synaptic by reloading several times, but couldn't find anything upgradable connected to XFCE in the list displayed! Well could it be my Internet connection, or Country preference servers, like as I am in India, or Why is this happening!
tedbell

Post by tedbell »

ashfaq wrote:After adding the Repository, I went for update in synaptic by reloading several times, but couldn't find anything upgradable connected to XFCE in the list displayed! Well could it be my Internet connection, or Country preference servers, like as I am in India, or Why is this happening!
Uninstall what you have. Get rid of all the XFCE packages. Reload and then the new versions should be there.
I had the same problem.
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

It may be that other enabled repositories are blocking access to the Experimental repository. In Synaptic, please open the Repositories dialog from the Settings menu, and see which repositories are enabled by looking at the LinuxMint Software tab and the Other Software tab.
ashfaq

Post by ashfaq »

tedbell wrote:
ashfaq wrote:After adding the Repository, I went for update in synaptic by reloading several times, but couldn't find anything upgradable connected to XFCE in the list displayed! Well could it be my Internet connection, or Country preference servers, like as I am in India, or Why is this happening!
Uninstall what you have. Get rid of all the XFCE packages. Reload and then the new versions should be there.
I had the same problem.
All the XFCE Packages! You mean by searching "xfce" in synaptic, and than selecting all connected packages listed for removal complete? is that what you mean? I will have to make a true back-up this time than, right. Just clarify, to be alerted. Well good to know I have company and you faced the same problem. I was thinking may be my 3G connection was not getting the entry to ftp ! so that is not the case.
ashfaq

Post by ashfaq »

Brian49 wrote:It may be that other enabled repositories are blocking access to the Experimental repository. In Synaptic, please open the Repositories dialog from the Settings menu, and see which repositories are enabled by looking at the LinuxMint Software tab and the Other Software tab.
Brian, all the default repositories in Linuxmint software except source code, and in other softwares "Debian. linuxmint.com" Latest, Latest security, latest multimedia, including our last entry for ftp.debian.org experimental. these are the only entries.
I think ted has the experience like me, should I try his method of removing xfce complete?
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

Try unchecking all the repositories on the LinuxMint Software tab in the Repositories dialog, and ""Debian.linuxmint.com" on the Other Software tab.

I strongly advise you not to follow Tedbell's suggestion - it could leave you with no desktop.
ashfaq

Post by ashfaq »

Brian49 wrote:Try unchecking all the repositories on the LinuxMint Software tab in the Repositories dialog, and ""Debian.linuxmint.com" on the Other Software tab.

I strongly advise you not to follow Tedbell's suggestion - it could leave you with no desktop.
I unchecked all other Repositories except the ftp.debian.org (Experimental) synaptic checked 17 files but showed error displaying the results. Now even synaptic is not working, it starts with an error, how do I revert the selection and check the required repositories! It seems synaptic now doesn't have any thing to check an error window is displayed, and I cannot click anything. Well now! How do I make the synaptic workable again.
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

I didn't say you should uncheck all the repositories except Experimental! Please re-read my previous post.

Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list as root, and remove the comment (#) at the start of the entry for each repository you want to enable. Then try starting Synaptic again.

If that works, I think you should give up the attempt to upgrade Xfce for the time being. Evidently your system isn't set up in such a way that the Experimental repository can be accessed.
ashfaq

Post by ashfaq »

Dear Brian, I am not blaming you, I know in my excitement I had gone in haste, and did what I should not! Now as it is I don't know if I re-booted the system will start normally or not! I tried your formula for the sources list , by editing "#" removing hash, but the problem is only those entries of "other software's" are listed! Help me add the original system list in the sequence it should be, by giving me a command line or the things to type! well I do know I had made this mess-up, just help me if you can getting this back to normal, I will drop the idea of xfce 4.10 until it is really required! Just help me with the total entries required as I had already given the list of what was there before, so that I manage to revive the synaptic first! And relax, and be at ease..
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

You need to re-create your /etc/apt/sources.list file. Go to this forum thread to get advice on suitable contents:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 33#p461982

Please be sure to read right through the thread. I don't want to be more specific as I have no idea what sources you were using originally.
lkraemer

Post by lkraemer »

Brian49,
I have Linux Mint 201204 (LMDE) installed on my Gateway Laptop. I followed your procedure to try and update Thunar to 1.4.x.
I had the experimental repository enabled, and I couldn't get Thunar updated using your steps.

Code: Select all

There were dependencies that had to be a newer >= version than was being installed, and they were not available.

Is it possible to update Thunar to 1.4.x? I'd really like to have XFCE 4.10 also, but I've got the same problem when
I try to update it.

Did you update LM 201204 (LMDE) with the procedure you posted?

I'm confused about what you keep stating about not unchecking all Repositories when you posted:
by Brian49 on Wed May 09, 2012 7:22 am
Try unchecking all the repositories on the LinuxMint Software tab in the Repositories dialog, and ""Debian.linuxmint.com" on the Other Software tab.
What am I missing?

Thanks.

Larry
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

lkraemer wrote:There were dependencies that had to be a newer >= version than was being installed, and they were not available.

Did you update LM 201204 (LMDE) with the procedure you posted?
Please give details of the dependencies you are referring to.

I had no problems updating Xfce and Thunar in the way I described. My LMDE installation goes way back before 201204, and I normally track Debian Unstable (SID), so my system is by now quite a bit different from a fresh install. However, I don't immediately see how working from a fresh install would seriously affect the ability to upgrade Xfce and Thunar.

Return to “LMDE Archive”