Howto: Remove Fortune messages in the Terminal

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Howto: Remove Fortune messages in the Terminal

Post by LindseyD. »

Thanks, wayne128. I was 99.9% sure what to do, but bashrc is NOT something I'd want to mess up. Belt & suspenders for me all the way. :)
Mint17 KDE
grey1960envoy

Post by grey1960envoy »

In LMDE to remove the fortunes just type "gksudo gedit /etc/bash.bashrc" and remove the last "paragraph" to fi, save and close.
Boringbytes

Post by Boringbytes »

Can you replace the default fortunes with a custom file?
I like most of the fortunes, but sometimes you just feel like a change.
vincent

Post by vincent »

Add any fortunes you want into /usr/share/games/fortunes/, and look at the existing fortunes in there to have an idea of how to format your own fortunes.
jwalkin

Post by jwalkin »

There is no mint-fortune line in .bash_rc for mint 10 kde. I use the gnome version mostly and I disable it in gnome all the time. I was just trying out kde and can't find where it is hidden. Looked under /etc/profile, bash_completion, bash.rc and there is no reference to mint-fortune in any of the files. any clues here? Testing kde for our company and need to disable it.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

The easy way, open a terminal and copy/paste. or click the SELECT ALL, or type this command :

Code: Select all

touch .disable-mint-fortunes
regards, 8)
jwalkin

Post by jwalkin »

thanks richyrich. created empty file in home directory and it did not work, opened /usr/bin/mint-fortune wih nano as superuser and the last line pipes your fortune to your terminal. commented it out and restarted terminal. fortune is disabled. don't know why they took it out of bashrc in KDE.
georgezilla

Post by georgezilla »

Actually I'm using LM 10 and that line is nowhere in the relevant file. But there is ......

" .. # /usr/bin/mint-fortune ... "

Which appears to be the equal of what was suggested, so I commented it out. My problem was/is not on the "how" but on the here of the relevent file. Just couldn't find it anywhere.

So in LM 10, comment out that line and it goes away.

In answer to "Who hates animals"? I for one don't. I try to eat as many of them as I can every day. I just don't like them popping up and making silly remarks in my terminal.

So thank you for your help.
Forthright

Post by Forthright »

telic wrote:Why on Earth is this sophomoric preference (still) a default for Mint users? Should it caution me to think twice about entrusting my enterprise environment to a collegiate OS mindset?
A very valid point here, the very fact that putting fortunes in has spawned a thread on how to remove them is a strong indicator in itself.

Fortunes do nothing to increase the functionality of a terminal, or increase workflow, and some of us (myself included) just find them irritating.

Of course, I believe in choice. But in this case I'd strongly suggest this as being a case of opt-in rather than opt-out so as not to irritate some users :evil:
RSimpson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RSimpson »

I'm sure Mint used to ask whether you wanted them or not... I think the check mark was ticked by default, but it was easy to say "no". Personally, I'd love to see them on a startup or login screen, but not every time I bring up a terminal.
steogede

Post by steogede »

You can also disable this for a single user using gconf:

gconftool-2 --type bool /
  --set /desktop/linuxmint/terminal/show_fortunes false
Or set the default for users who don't have a setting for this yet (e.g. root, future users):

sudo gconftool-2 --direct /
  --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults /
  --type bool /
  --set /desktop/linuxmint/terminal/show_fortunes false
Or you can use the GUI tool gconf-editor.

NB. I have only tried this in LM 11 (that is the only LM I have ever used).

BTW, I don't mind the fortunes myself but I'm not a big fan of the Husse ones (it appears mostly to be direct quotes from his forum posts) - I'm not a big fan of these fortunes, they seem to be direct quotes from his forum posts and many of them appear pointless out of context (I suspect they are just there as a posthumous tribute?). What I don't understand is why there are 8 packages which depend on fortunes-husse - that is, so far as the package manager is concerned, I can't see any real dependency.
subeh.sharma

Post by subeh.sharma »

"/usr/bin/mint-fortune" to be removed in you're on LM11.
RubberSoul

Post by RubberSoul »

Thanks for that mate... was starting to annoy me every time I opened the terminal.
Sorted now though :D
Examiner

Post by Examiner »

Hello. I am really brand-spankin' new to all of this, as a dearly beloved grandson put Linux Mint 10 on my computer, to help me, after our hard drive was "fried". I used my "terminal" for the very first time, today, attempting to research and resolve a problem with my right-click function.

My blood ran "cold" when I opened up the terminal. Greeting me, was a moose? cow? elk? - something - with a message that I guess someone thought was amusing, that said - "You will be divorced within a year."

I was not amused. After being a widow for over 10 years, and gratefully being remarried for about 2½ years...that message was about the last thing that I wanted to have greet my gaze. Frankly, I was horrified....briefly.

Remembering reading something somewhere about "fortune cookies". I thought I would look through the forums, to see why that was there. I was hoping it wasn't someone's idea of a "joke". Well, I guess it was, or is. I was not offended, but I was "taken back".

Seems to me, that those type of "fortunes" oppose the Linux Mint's own "Rules of Conduct".

Not only that, but I personally find them:
- inappropriate
- unnecessary
- unprofessional
- unworthy of a tremendously designed operating system

I heartily agree with some other posts, that they should be optional, and, I believe they should be witty, encouraging, unusual, enlightening, and uplifting.

Was really glad to find this posting, about removing the fortune cookie messages. Followed instructions, and mission accomplished.

Pardon the long "first post", however, I did wish to voice my "take" on them.
kmstarhawk

Post by kmstarhawk »

I agree about the fortunes: uplifting please, we get enough hard knocks in life as it is :)

To remove: click on Menu/Preferences/Desktop Settings/Terminal, uncheck "fortunes".

Cheers.
kindofabuzz

Post by kindofabuzz »

kmstarhawk wrote:I agree about the fortunes: uplifting please, we get enough hard knocks in life as it is :)

To remove: click on Menu/Preferences/Desktop Settings/Terminal, uncheck "fortunes".

Cheers.
That's only in Mint 11.
mthees

Post by mthees »

Why would anybody want to remove those fortune cookies. I simply want to know how I can add more.
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

mthees wrote: ..I simply want to know how I can add more.
Sure about that?... http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 15&start=0
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

If you search "fortunes" in Package Manager you will find some extra packs available
mthees

Post by mthees »

Thank you both, this has made my day.

Return to “Tutorials”