"mint 11 The panel encountered a problem while loading"

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HorrorCode

Re: "mint 11 The panel encountered a problem while loading"

Post by HorrorCode »

craigus wrote:I'm afraid that this is an absolute show-stopper for me, at least in terms of introducing linux to new users. I usually use Mint for this, and will continue to use Mint 10, but how can you possibly say to a prospective convert "Oh, just click this 'reset panel' icon 6 or 8 times until you don't see an error message...".

I can't understand why this isn't being treated as a serious bug upstream.
I totally agree, but it would be nice if any feedback were given on the method I previously mentioned about ureadahead, since it seems in 10 ureadahead is installed by default. But perhaps I'm wrong on that note, and it's not a default app, in which case it could very well be a totally unrelated 'solution' resulting from installing ureadahead, or it's totally coincidental and it doesn't have anything to do with the installation or presence of ureadahead. And on that note, how did I install ureadahead, why does it seem to solve my problems, and what's really going on in there?

Feedback, any feedback at all?
setcho

Post by setcho »

I've been following this thread for a while now as I have had this problem since I tried the Mint 11 RC upon first release and I still haven't been able to fix the problem. I've changed to a different distro a couple of times in the hope that there will be a fix released each time I return but so far no luck. I also agree with craigus, this is a show stopper for me and I'm now going to leave Mint 11 permanently until I see a fix posted here or on launchpad.
I totally agree, but it would be nice if any feedback were given on the method I previously mentioned about ureadahead, since it seems in 10 ureadahead is installed by default. But perhaps I'm wrong on that note, and it's not a default app, in which case it could very well be a totally unrelated 'solution' resulting from installing ureadahead, or it's totally coincidental and it doesn't have anything to do with the installation or presence of ureadahead. And on that note, how did I install ureadahead, why does it seem to solve my problems, and what's really going on in there?

I found that ureadahead was already installed so I uninstalled it, when I restarted Mint took around. 45 secs longer to load and and the panel was fine. Initially I thought the problem was solved as everything was fine for about 5 or 6 restarts however the next day two applets failed on start up and this happened twice more during the day. So I have now reinstalled ureadahead and I'm back to having a single applet fail every 2 or 3 startups/reboots.
HorrorCode

Post by HorrorCode »

setcho wrote:I've been following this thread for a while now as I have had this problem since I tried the Mint 11 RC upon first release and I still haven't been able to fix the problem. I've changed to a different distro a couple of times in the hope that there will be a fix released each time I return but so far no luck. I also agree with craigus, this is a show stopper for me and I'm now going to leave Mint 11 permanently until I see a fix posted here or on launchpad.

I found that ureadahead was already installed so I uninstalled it, when I restarted Mint took around. 45 secs longer to load and and the panel was fine. Initially I thought the problem was solved as everything was fine for about 5 or 6 restarts however the next day two applets failed on start up and this happened twice more during the day. So I have now reinstalled ureadahead and I'm back to having a single applet fail every 2 or 3 startups/reboots.
Did you try the previous mentioned method about resorting ureadahead?
cottfcfan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cottfcfan »

Don't know how many are still having this problem but i may have stumbled upon the answer.
Everyone knows that Compiz isn't ready for this release, with constant gliches, so I downgraded Compiz using the instructions here:
http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/how-to-d ... 86-in.html
All my graphics glitches have now gone, and the side effect appears to be that the "panel crashing" situation has resolved itself as well.
This could just be me, so feedback from others would be helpful.
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

I am using Katya (gnome) 64 bits all the time without any desktop-effects and still the panel-bug appears nearly every boot. It is really frustrating :(
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (64 bits)
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

Perhaps an interesting observation....everytime I am using Bleachbit at the end of a session....the next boot is totally without panelglitches. At these boot-ups a lot of conf-files have to be rewritten and the boot is taking usually a few seconds longer. That (perhaps) may be supporting the theory that all processes are going to fast in order getting the panel right at boot-up.

Still the question; why isn't it happening when using Ubuntu 11.04 in classic mode (I experienced myself)? Perhaps by using the Mint-menu under LM Katya the windowmanager needs even more time to execute all the panel-processes. Could that be a reason?

Anyway, it needs to be fixed soon!
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

After a whole week of using Mint Katya (gnome) the problem is occuring after every boot-up. Every time I am missing items on the panel. It is very annoying and REALLY a showstopper for any further Minty desktop-experience. Does anyone know if there is a solution in progress? The only thing I can think of is trying Ubuntu 10.04 point 3 release.
cottfcfan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cottfcfan »

After 3 days of constant login/outs & reboots, I have only had one "panel crash" with the downgraded compiz.
Not perfect, but significantly lower than before.
Midas... Ive been thinking about Ubuntu 10.04-3, too, I don't like to go backwards, but it is a solid & reliable Distro.
stin

Post by stin »

I think I may have found a fix (correction: work around) for this problem? (I've not seen the error now for the last few days, at least 20 test reboots)
Go to the control manager, then click the 'Compiz Fusion Icon' under Hardware, wait for it to load next to the clock on your desktop, then right click it and click on 'Select Window Manager' and select 'Metacity' instead of 'Compiz' :idea:
Last edited by stin on Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
cottfcfan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cottfcfan »

That's not a fix though.
That means you lose all of your desktop effects.
stin

Post by stin »

Yeah, not ideal! more of a work around... still better than an error message every time you boot up. :)
If someone does actually find a real fix for this, please let me know... for now the effects are turned off. :(
cottfcfan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cottfcfan »

nomadewolf commented earlier in the post that Ubuntu is to blame.
This is one problem that doesn't seem to have been derived from Ubuntu.
11.04 works flawlessly for me in 32 or 64bit. & Unity or Classic mode.
Yet both 32 & 64bit Mint has this problem.
It must be some extra Mint add on that is causing the problem.
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

Strange enough that, after deleting Mint-menu and creating a traditional (two panel) gnome desktop with a traditional (applications-places-system) menu.....I haven't had ANY panel and/or applet crashes till so far. Another thing is that I have installed the Bisigi-Eco theme because I simply like the combination of green/black. After weeks of problems I am now happy with my troublefree system!
cottfcfan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cottfcfan »

Midas..
I'll try deleting Mintmenu, on my system & see if that resolves the problem.
HorrorCode

Post by HorrorCode »

You might also want to try what I posted a page or two back as one person has partially confirmed it and no one has denied it.
2029manumathew

Post by 2029manumathew »

guys sorry to interfere.... But I can't see my Compiz Fusion Icon loading on my panel.... Please Help...
2029manumathew

Post by 2029manumathew »

Guys sorry to interfere... but I can't see my Compiz-fusion icon loading on panel...
mads

Post by mads »

vistad wrote:I found the solution to most of the problems described in the beginning: the panel has become corrupted and needs to be purged - see here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 40#p452479
Source: Re: problems with Linux Mint 11 Gnome 32 [SOLVED]
cottfcfan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cottfcfan »

Followed the link above which indicated Panel Applets crashed after the panel had been edited.
So did a reinstall made no modifications whatsoever.
Logged out & back in again, and immediately Panel Applet crashed.
Back to the drawing board. :x
mads

Post by mads »

cottfcfan wrote:Followed the link above which indicated Panel Applets crashed after the panel had been edited.
So did a reinstall made no modifications whatsoever.
Logged out & back in again, and immediately Panel Applet crashed.
Back to the drawing board. :x
Thanks, but it could be nice if at least one more user could confirm that the below doesn't work.
vistad wrote:Here are the steps to follow to fix panel crash:
Load up your system and get into restore mode via GRUB
Select "Drop to root shell prompt"
Type "rm -rf /home/YOUR_USERNAME/.gconf/apps/panel"
Exit and restart your system
Unfortunately you'll have to set up your panels again

Return to “MATE”