Can't log-in after install

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Andrew33

Can't log-in after install

Post by Andrew33 »

I am having great difficulty with Xfce (2011.04)....I've installed it twice now and I get as far as the login screen. It loads fine and gets me to the loging screen, I type in my password, then it goes briefly to black screen then displays the login screen (box) with my name for login again...that's as far as I get...it won't login to the actual program, just takes me back to the login screen...what's wrong with this picture, why is it doing this and what can be done to correct it....HELP!!!

Andrew
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Can't log-in after install

Post by richyrich »

When you are at the login screen, click it once to show the password box. What is listed on the panel in the Session box ?
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

It's just my name and the password box, but below my name before clicking, it says "other"......I've already tried clicking the "other" and putting my password in that one, it then tells me that login failed in red letters, so I really don't know what else to do
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

I'm talking about along the bottom panel. Once you have clicked the box to login, and before you enter a password, A session chooser should show up on the panel . ? . . No ?
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

At the bottom, there's the country residing, keyboard layout and session choice....to which is only default & xfce session. I've choosen both and have tried to login, but all it does is go briefly to black screen then come back to the login box asking for authentication...I can't get past that point....any thoughts?
Lanser

Post by Lanser »

Just ran up Xfce 64 RC 201104 on a test machine. Same issue. Had to re-install twice before I could get it to accept the log on pwd.
Got in on the 3rd install. Using same user name and pwd each time. bug in the installer ?

Lanser
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

Hey Clem,

What's up with the new RC.....I can get it installed, it loads, but I can't log in. I'll enter my password into the box, but it just goes briefly blank and then goes back to the loging box. Apparently, it won't take the password I set up during install.....also while everything is loading before the main screen, when going through the inventory of things loading, sdc 5 ext3 fails to mount. This has been going on now for 3 to 4 days of trying to install this, and I've tried installing about 6 different times. I seriously believe there is a flaw in the installation files or somewhere in the set up process.....there needs to be some kind of fix implemented so this works on ALL types of PC's/Laptops.....will you please look into this and fix it.....needless to say, this is very frustrating & irritating. You develop something that not everyone can use :evil: Thanks for your time

Andrew

P.S.

This program is pretty worthless if you can't even use it.....Yes..I'm pretty pissed.....and no, it's not anything to do with my laptop or the way I'm installing it!!!! I install it just like everyone else
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You have checked the MD5 sum of the ISO and verified while burning?
This seems a crash which can be caused by an error during download/copy/burn/install... if the MD5 sum is OK you can try a reinstall.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
mads

Post by mads »

I know you are trying to install Mint Xfce RC (201104), so I don't know if this is relevant.
My motherboard is Intel and I had to add 'i915.modeset=1' after 'quiet splash' in kernel boot line
to be able to install Mint 9 Xfce.
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

My appologies for the last comment.....I have since discovered that installing this with or through a usb stick doesn't work to well.....I was also using ubuntu's installer for the start up stick, which I think affected it as well. I hope you all will accept my appology....sometimes we have to work through our anger to see what is truly in our way. I have since burn the ISO to a DVD and installed it.....whalla....it works...now, my current issue is......how to get more wallpapers and change resolution on desktop....cheers and have a great day all.

Andrew
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

andrew5859 wrote:My appologies for the last comment.....I have since discovered that installing this with or through a usb stick doesn't work to well.....I was also using ubuntu's installer for the start up stick, which I think affected it as well. I hope you all will accept my appology....sometimes we have to work through our anger to see what is truly in our way

Andrew
Oh haha, I accept your appology.
Take it easy.
I have similar situation as you when I used Linux Mint start up creator for other Linux OS and found it did not work.
Eventually from reading forums other forumers recommended unetbootin.
Then for whatever reason it did not work on a few distros. Even with help from forumers. What he said is that is my USB stick problems. But then this USB stick was doing all the time OK on installation Windows via USB ( yes winXP, win7 via USB!!) and installing mint via USB!.
Finally I found out some compatibility issues between USB stick and the specific mother board.
also found the limitation of start up disk creator.
Bought two more USB sticks of different brand, haha, problem solved!.
Nowadays I use unetbootin within Linux a lots, so that I would not collect many DVD.
and I found also when unetbootin did not work, then the multi-decade-old dd command works ( may be because those distros has iso format supporting it), I just have to be careful not to key in wrong device designation and wipe the wrong drive.

andrew5859 wrote: I have since burn the ISO to a DVD and installed it.....whalla....it works...now, my current issue is......how to get more wallpapers and change resolution on desktop....cheers and have a great day all.

Andrew
Nice to read you overcome the initial install issue

I used unetbootin within Linux and there is no issue in making bootable USB stick.

How to get more wallpapers ? I did it the intuitive way, just save many photo images on a directory, use file manager , navigate to the directory, choose the image I want to become wallpaper, right click, a pop up menu would show up, then click the "Set as wallpaper', that is about it.

Resolution, also by intuitive way, menu>setting>Display> resolution.
mnmnf

Post by mnmnf »

I also have this problem.
Installed from a Live DVD. (Checksums OK for all 10 files listed in MD5sum.txt)
Attempts to login cycle exactly as described by Andrew.

I've tried reinstalling a couple of times. But no luck.
(The password is accepted if I choose to boot in recovery mode)

Any suggestions?

Martin
davidgagne80
Level 1
Level 1

Post by davidgagne80 »

I also have that issue, chksum for the live dvd is okay, but I can't seem to login, reinstalled it twice with same result, Tried login in recovery mode, worked well at first, I created a second user with adduser, logged with it, but after a while the password didn't even work to do updates and I couldn't change the user password. If it's any help, I used 1234 as my password all along. (there's nothing on the computer yet so who cares!)

Please help! ;)
turboflame

Post by turboflame »

I had the same problem, I tried to set an existing partition from my old fedora install as the home directory during the install and it wouldn't let me log in afterwards. Two reinstalls later I figured this might be the issue. After just installing everything to one partition it would work, though now it's a pain to access my data.
davidgagne80
Level 1
Level 1

Post by davidgagne80 »

I tried and can confirm what turboflame just said, if you keep all your stuff in 1 partition, it works, I reinstalled again, used the same user name and password but this time I kept / and /home on the same partition and it works.... I would like it lots better if I could keep a separate /home like I always do, but for now it'll do!! Now let's have fun with that new distro!
turboflame

Post by turboflame »

Unfortunately this is kind of a deal breaker for me since I already have a lot of stuff on my hard drive so reformatting really isn't an option. I'm gonna give Mint xfce 9 a shot but I might just end up going back to Fedora xfce.

It's a shame though, I really liked this distro and if it wasn't for this one bug I would be an easy convert.
mnmnf

Post by mnmnf »

Yes. I was installing over Ubuntu 10.4 and trying to keep the old home partition data.
Now I finally have Mint Xfce running, all in a very small single partition and my old data in a large not-very-accessible partition.
I hope this is only temporary!
turboflame

Post by turboflame »

So I changed my mind, backed up everything and reinstalled Mint xfce. Making a new home partition worked fine.

So basically this bug only effects those switching from another linux distro.
plevans

Post by plevans »

I, too, am having the same problem as the OP and others. Installed Xfce (2011.04) from burned ISO image on DVD on freshly formatted partitions, with / and /home on separate partitions. The installation went smoothly, booted up, got to the login screen, entered my user name and password, screen went black, then the login screen popped back up. Same thing each time I try. The checksum is fine. I haven't yet tried reinstalling since so many others haven't had success, don't know if I should.

I got an Brasero error 24, "Some files may be corrupted on the disc" when burning the ISO to DVD.

My results for lspci, if it's any use:

mint@mint ~ $ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express DRAM Controller (rev 10)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 10)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 01)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family SATA IDE Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 01)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 01)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3cSOHO100-TX Hurricane (rev 30)

Can anyone help? I really want to use Xfce!!

Thanks,
Patti
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

plevans wrote:I, too, am having the same problem as the OP and others. Installed Xfce (2011.04) from burned ISO image on DVD on freshly formatted partitions, with / and /home on separate partitions. The installation went smoothly, booted up, got to the login screen, entered my user name and password, screen went black, then the login screen popped back up. Same thing each time I try. The checksum is fine. I haven't yet tried reinstalling since so many others haven't had success, don't know if I should.

I got an Brasero error 24, "Some files may be corrupted on the disc" when burning the ISO to DVD.

My results for lspci, if it's any use:

mint@mint ~ $ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express DRAM Controller (rev 10)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 10)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 01)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family SATA IDE Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 01)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 01)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3cSOHO100-TX Hurricane (rev 30)

Can anyone help? I really want to use Xfce!!

Thanks,
Patti
xfce 2011.04 is too old.
even you get it works you have few hundreds to a thousand packages waiting for update + upgrade

I suggest you try LMDE-xfce 2011.08 RC or wait for the new respin.

Return to “Xfce”