Ripping DVD's

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bgast1

Ripping DVD's

Post by bgast1 »

Is it possible in Linux to rip your own, copy protected DVD's to your own hard drive. If this skirts on the edge of legality for some of you and you don't want to answer in open forum, please PM me. I don't want cause any problems here for anyone. But I truly would like to back up some of my DVD's, because in my household they can get scratched awfully easy. The kids don't seem to have the greatest respect for DVDs or CDs. Really gets me :evil: sometimes.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Udi
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Ripping DVD's

Post by Udi »

Acidrip does a nice job. You can install it with:
sudo apt-get install acidrip

I am also sure that if you search the web you'll find more alternatives. I don't do any ripping myself (except just this second to answer your question) so I can't tell you if Acidrip is the best. It looks like a basic tool - but I like basic tools :)

See ya.
bgast1

Post by bgast1 »

I like basic tools. :D It works on copy protected DVD's?
curt_grymala

Post by curt_grymala »

I just tested it. It appears to rip copy-protected discs.

However, unlike DVD Decrypter for Windows, acidrip only seems to offer the option to convert the video to AVI or MPEG, rather than allowing you to directly rip VOB files.

EDIT - I am in the process of testing, but it appears as though K3B is capable of copying a protected DVD to either an ISO file or another disc.
bgast1

Post by bgast1 »

Let's say you copy it to an ISO. Can you watch that ISO on your computer or then do you have to burn it back out onto a DVD? (I would assume just like we burn a disto) I use K3b for that.
curt_grymala

Post by curt_grymala »

You can watch an ISO of a DVD on your computer, but you have to use the proper program with which to do it. I am still working on figuring out which media players are best for watching DVDs, let along ISOs of DVDs.

It appears that Xine is capable of playing a DVD ISO, but my particular installation of Xine says I'm missing the proper demuxer (even though I have livdvdcss installed).

Of course, it shouldn't really matter whether or not a media player is inherently able to play an ISO instead of a physical DVD, as you can mount an ISO to the filesystem the same way you would do with a physical disc.

As I said, though, the real trick is finding a media player that plays the DVD properly.
RickWolf

Post by RickWolf »

Hello everyone. I'm still fairly new to linux. I started using Fedora 11 in May of 2009. I switched to Linux Mint 8 in October. Mint has a lot of nice features and its menus are a little like Windows XP. I got hacked last year, I was using Windows Vista Home Premium. I wasn't home at the time, and I had left my machine on and connected. A very nasty virus was then introduced, and it got into my boot sector. So every time i got rid of it, when i rebooted the computer it was back, and worse than before. The MS techs couldn't or wouldn't help me (par for the course). The only thing I was able to find that removed the virus for me was Linux. I was so impresssed with the abilities of the live dvd that I installed it immediately. Unfortunately I was too late to save 11,000 mp3's, about 300 avi's ripped from dvd's I had or borrowed from friends, and close to 40,000 pictures and graphics. Not to mention approximately 9,000 bucks worht of programs. That being said, I apologize for temporarily getting off the current subject. AcipRip works well for ripping dvd's in avi or mpeg format. I personally prefer avi files because they are usually only 700mb, so you can easily fit more movies on your machine than if you had them in iso's or mpeg files, both of which are usually 5 to 8 gig, depending. Plus, if you have a newer dvd player, they can play avi xvid files, so you can realistically fit 4 or 5 movies on one single 4.7 gig dvd disc.

For the last three days I've been trying to rip dvd's onto my external 320 gig Seagate FreeAgent Godrive. The Avatar dvd I have is copy protected, and I am still trying to figure out how to rip it and burn it to a blank dvd. Two tries with AcidRip have yielded two avi files that play fine, but with no audio. So I am trying different audio formats under my options in the ripper program. I have used almost every authoring, ripping, burning, and converting program in the package manager's arsenal of video program packages. They all work well for certain things. I'm still working with them. I've had to resort to writing everything down on paper as i try things, keeping track of my settings, options I used, etc. Once you have the dvd ripped into an avi or mpeg file, ManDVD does an excellent job of generating a dvd structure and uses either K3b or your default burner program (it allows you to choose which one) to burn it to dvd. I've done three movies so far. They play fine, although Clash of the Titans audio and video seems to become unsynced every ten minutes as I watch it on my brother's Symphonic dvd player. It doesn't happen on my Memorex dvd player. So the brand of dvd player also becomes a factor in the equation, as to whether or not the video will play. At any rate, the RCE copy protection on the store purchased Avatar dvd I own is giving me an extremely hard time.

I will be back with an update on the situation as soon as I try some other programs and options, providing I am able to come up with a solution. DVD Shrink seems to work well using Wine to run it in Linux Mint, as it is a Windows program. The resulting rip plays fine with Gnome player and Mplayer, but I have yet to find a program that will shrink the vob file small enough for it to fit on a 4.7gb dvd disc, because the file is 6.8 gig, and I have no 8 gig dual layer discs. Devede will shrink the file to 4.1 gig, but when i try to burn it to dvd i get errors with the audio, or the video file drops are too extreme and writing fails. In the mean time, if any of yall have any ideas I am open to suggestions. I'm in Texas, and it's so hot my brain is frying as I sit here trying to figure this out. I'm getting tired of thinking. lol, sorry for writing a book instead of just a couple sentences. I tend to get "wordy" when I'm frustrated.
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

I ripped Avatar with no problems with HandBrake.
redneck

Post by redneck »

I use K9Copy, it`s pretty good.
Admittedly it creates a 4.3GB iso, but you could then burn it to a rewritable dvd and use acidrip to turn it into avi`s.
Don`t know if that`s any use to you.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I haven't tried them, but i read online that: DVD RIP and THOGGEN are two programs that will copy encypted dvds....From looking at screenshots of both, it looks like THOGGEN has the more simple GUI of the two...and both are available in the Mint Software Center....
I was also wondering if anyone had used those two programs? If so...how are they???
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

craig10x wrote:I haven't tried them, but i read online that: DVD RIP and THOGGEN are two programs that will copy encypted dvds....From looking at screenshots of both, it looks like THOGGEN has the more simple GUI of the two...and both are available in the Mint Software Center....
I was also wondering if anyone had used those two programs? If so...how are they???
I've tried them both and neither compares to HandBrake. DVD RIP has a complicated interface and THOGGEN although very easy to use simply can't match HandBrake as far as video quality.
soapy138

Post by soapy138 »

i checked handbrake's site and it said it didnt have support for encrypted dvds, i would like to be able to copy the dvd's iso then burn it to another dvd, dvds tend to get a lot of wear in my house and i'd prefer not have to keep rebuying dvds when the ones i have wear out (or break), so what program should i use for this? k9copy sounds like it might work but i'm not sure...
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

I use DVDecryptor (installed under WINE to rip my DVDs to Hard disk, then use Handbrake or Acidrip to rip and encode them to video. Oh, and of course make sure that libdvdcss2 is installed to able to deal with encrypted (commercial) DVDs. :)
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
garrydb

Post by garrydb »

Hey, I have been using acidrip for several years now, for the same thing you are trying to do and it is a superb program for this. Best I've found cause you can put about 4 times as many dvd's on the same space as most of the other ripping programs. I wouldn't use anything else. Just giving my experience.. Thanks
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

soapy138 wrote:i checked handbrake's site and it said it didnt have support for encrypted dvds, i would like to be able to copy the dvd's iso then burn it to another dvd, dvds tend to get a lot of wear in my house and i'd prefer not have to keep rebuying dvds when the ones i have wear out (or break), so what program should i use for this? k9copy sounds like it might work but i'm not sure...
What they mean is that support for ripping encrypted DVDs isn't built directly into HandBrake. On Linux HandBrake uses the libs installed on your machine to decrypt DVDs.This is done for 2 reasons I suspect, 1st because it's common for unix-like systems to share libs. and 2nd because it keeps HandBrake development legal in most of the world because it doesn't technically decrypt the protected DVD in question, the external libs do.

The Short story is that HandBrake will rip commercial encrypted DVDs in Mint, has a much easier to understand interface and produces the best videos when it comes to quality vs size of any of the programs that anyone here has mentioned. I have tried them all.
haystack
Level 1
Level 1

Post by haystack »

If you want just the video file I'd recommend Handbrake. However, I have encountered problems with some DVDs, and I'll tell you how I got around it. I have both Handbrake and Brasero. Brasero is a simple program that you can use to make a .iso file of the DVD, you can get it from the software manager. On some DVDs that I own, namely Hotel Transylvania and The Judge, I got around the encryption by converting the DVD to an .iso file, and then using handbrake on the .iso file. I have this other DVD, Starship Troopers, where the encryption is a little more substantial. So, I'm trying out Acidrip on it. If you want, I'll let you know how well it worked later. But, Brasero and Handbrake should work on most DVDs.

As a sidenote, I should tell you that you should do this only to DVDs you own. Just to cover your ass legally.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

curt_grymala wrote: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:17 am You can watch an ISO of a DVD on your computer, but you have to use the proper program with which to do it. I am still working on figuring out which media players are best for watching DVDs, let along ISOs of DVDs.

It appears that Xine is capable of playing a DVD ISO, but my particular installation of Xine says I'm missing the proper demuxer (even though I have livdvdcss installed).

Of course, it shouldn't really matter whether or not a media player is inherently able to play an ISO instead of a physical DVD, as you can mount an ISO to the filesystem the same way you would do with a physical disc.

As I said, though, the real trick is finding a media player that plays the DVD properly.
I use VLC Media Player for playing my DVD/BD ISOs. You sometimes have to play with the Crop settings under the Video tab to expand a movie displaying in a letter box (yeah, I know, that seems counterintuitive) but that takes only a few seconds.

Even though ISOs eat up a lot of disk space, I still prefer them because the rip is much simpler to make and because I can access the original DVD/BD settings menus and special features. It's just like playing the original DVD/BD in a DVD/BD player except you use a mouse instead of a remote (wireless mice are perfect for this).

I have my ripped DVDs (and a handful of BDs I was able to rip when I was still using Win 7) stored on two drives. The ISOs were named with the movie title so they will appear in alphabetical order in a disk directory. To consolidate the directories of both movie drives into one alphabetical listing, I made a new folder that I put shortcuts (symlinks) into of every movie on both movie drives.

This is easier than one would think. I opened up the folder I made for that and snapped it to the right side of the screen. I then opened one of the movie drives and snapped to the left side of the screen. I next selected all the movies in the movie drive window (ALT A). I then pressed down the CTRL and SHIFT keys and, while keeping them depressed, dragged the selected movies from the movie drive window to the new folder. I then did the same with the other movie drive into the same new folder. The entire process took only a few seconds for over 600 movies (another advantage of using Linux Mint instead of Windows).

This results in shortcuts to all the movies on both drives in one, consolidated, alphabetical list. To make it readable when reading it from a TV screen, I set the folder to List View, then zoomed it all the way out. To get rid of on screen clutter, I right clicked on the column header at the top of the list and unchecked all categories except Name (for file name; you can't delete that anyway). These changes to the settings will "stick" for this folder only. To watch a movie, just open up the new folder, scroll down until you find a movie you want to watch, then right click on the movie to get a window to show what program you want to use to view the movie (in my case, VLC). To eliminate the last step, set VLC to be the default program for opening ISOs.

I've been using K3b to rip DVDs in Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon with mixed results so far (about 1/3 of my DVDs couldn't be ripped due to DRM) on a seven year old notebook I convereted from Win 7 to Linux that has a DVD drive in it. My new (very expensive) machine doesn't have an ODD (mutter, mutter, mumble, mumble) so I had to order an external one. Currently, it's stalled at a UPS hub 30 miles from me (more muttering and mumbling). Once UPS gets their heads back into the sunlight and delivers it (there are reasons I call them OOPS), I'll be checking to see if the newer drive will be able to rip the ones I couldn't earlier.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

haystack wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:22 pm...As a sidenote, I should tell you that you should do this only to DVDs you own. Just to cover your ass legally.
Excellent advice (especially for someone with a more than ample asset like mine)!
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AtomicMark
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AtomicMark »

The kid story and ripping copyrighted dvds again???????? Come on really..........i bet you ive heard that one at least ten times. I'm new here but even i'm not that silly. I am not about to tell you what to use or how to use it to copy factory protected DVDs BUT if you feel you must press on i suggest some other Linux forum. Not trying to be a jerk i'm just being straight with you.
Peace and good luck
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

When I ripped my DVD collection I used handbrake and makeMKV. If handbrake didn't work I used makeMKV and then used handbrake to compress the mkv file to m4v.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Beginner Questions”