Linux Mint 9 - Simply Reboots

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bg1

Linux Mint 9 - Simply Reboots

Post by bg1 »

Hi all,

I am a new user to Linux Mint and Linux in general. I have dual installed Linux Mint 9 (Isadora) and Windows XP successfully. I am able to boot up normally and select Linux Mint 9. I login in normally and everything operates fine. After working for a bit my system "hangs up" and this black screen comes up. I cannot do anything at this point. It starts to "flash" white stripes on and off. I again cannot do anything and I am forced to reboot by manually pressing the reboot button. This happens all the time and I am not sure how to diagnose whats the cause. I would appreciate any help to try and fix the issue. I have googled extensively and cannot find anything. I am sorry for not giving more information, I dont know what is required.

Please assist in any way.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oobetimer

Re: Linux Mint 9 - Simply Reboots

Post by oobetimer »

Terminal command

Code: Select all

Some process freezes your PC . Firefox?, java?,X-server? apt-xapian-index?, ...?
deadlytackler

Post by deadlytackler »

oobetimer wrote:Terminal command

Code: Select all

Some process freezes your PC . Firefox?, java?,X-server? apt-xapian-index?, ...?
Can you further elaborate, what this command will do. sorry if it sounds stupid just shifted to linux Mint. My desktop is entirely running on Linux (No other OS). But for the last 2 days facing same problem. Also at times mouse seems to be non existent. what we are supposed to do at that point.

Regards
deadlytackler

Post by deadlytackler »

fine. top command list down all the process runing. and to kill it following command can be used:-
sudo killall <application-name>. For example, to kill firefox type in sudo killall firefox.

however still confused what to do when mouse becomes non existent...........
rameshkarthik

Post by rameshkarthik »

Hi,

Like bg1, I too have a similar problem with Isadora. When I boot up my system, it boots up normally after working for some time, it hangs and freezes showing some black and white vertical stripes. I've tried rebooting the system using ALT+SysRq+REISUB for three times due to this problem.

I hope during the freeze that occurred for me, I was not able to access my mouse and keyboard (apart from hitting ALT+SysRq+REISUB ).

Faced the issue even while composing this post.

Application I'm working while facing the freeze: Firefox/Chromium with 5 Tabs, Rhythmbox, Nautilus. HW details will be in my signature.

Could you please help me in resolving this issue.
motsteve

Post by motsteve »

I had this happen to me on my netbook. I just briefly pushed my power button and the screen unlocked and I was back online. I chalked it up as an occasional power-saving bug. I would think that if you want to use the cli and issue a top command, you would have to ssh, ftp, or rlogin, to do that. Of course, if your install doesn't have the openssh package loaded, your hosed.

Good luck anyway.

Steve
rameshkarthik

Post by rameshkarthik »

motsteve wrote:I had this happen to me on my netbook. I just briefly pushed my power button and the screen unlocked and I was back online. I chalked it up as an occasional power-saving bug. I would think that if you want to use the cli and issue a top command, you would have to ssh, ftp, or rlogin, to do that. Of course, if your install doesn't have the openssh package loaded, your hosed.

Good luck anyway.

Steve
@Steve, Since myself being new to linux, could you please let me know how install cli and openssh package
rameshkarthik

Post by rameshkarthik »

Hi,

Isadora still has the freezing problem even after I tried with the solution provided in the post: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 1&start=80

Unfortunately there were certain errors during that process where a resolution was provided for the helena users. Hence I was not able to complete the entire process outlined in that post.

Although today I wasn't facing this issue, I'm living in fear of when this freeze will hit back.

Please help me resolve this issue.
rameshkarthik

Post by rameshkarthik »

Hello everyone,

I'm facing the hang/freeze very frequently these times. Is there any solution to this problem?

Please help me.
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

rameshkarthik wrote:Hello everyone,

I'm facing the hang/freeze very frequently these times. Is there any solution to this problem?

Please help me.
I am not sure if this works on you, but when I had a freezing-problem in Edubuntu, I made a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file like this

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "monitor1"
VendorName "Plug'n Play"
ModelName ""
HorizSync 30-61
VertRefresh 50-120

# TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.
# 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync
ModeLine "768x576" 50.00 768 832 846 1000 576 590 595 630

# 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync
ModeLine "768x576" 63.07 768 800 960 1024 576 578 590 616
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "device1"
Driver "vesa"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "screen1"
Device "device1"
Monitor "monitor1"
DefaultColorDepth 24

Subsection "Display"
Depth 8
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" "480x360" "320x240"
EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
Depth 15
EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "800x600" "640x480" "480x360" "320x240"
EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "layout1"
Screen "screen1"
EndSection
rameshkarthik

Post by rameshkarthik »

@oobetimer
Thanks for the reply.
I don't have the xorg.conf file that you have provided. I have searched the entire system to find only xorg.conf.failsafe file in the path: /etc/X11/
Should I change this file or create a new xorg.conf file in this folder.
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

rameshkarthik wrote:@oobetimer
Thanks for the reply.
I don't have the xorg.conf file that you have provided. I have searched the entire system to find only xorg.conf.failsafe file in the path: /etc/X11/
Should I change this file or create a new xorg.conf file in this folder.
Just open a terminal and copy the text on it. If xorg.conf file does not work, delate it (

cd /etc/X11

sudo rm xorg.conf

...or without sudo in recovery mode

To make an /etc/X11/xorg file:

gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

...edit, save and quit

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... nf#p305445
rameshkarthik

Post by rameshkarthik »

@oobetimer
Thanks for the reply.

As per your instruction, I just created xorg.conf file in /etc/X11 from a terminal. Then Copied and and pasted the following code:
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "monitor1"
VendorName "Plug'n Play"
ModelName ""
HorizSync 30-61
VertRefresh 50-120

# TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.
# 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync
ModeLine "768x576" 50.00 768 832 846 1000 576 590 595 630

# 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync
ModeLine "768x576" 63.07 768 800 960 1024 576 578 590 616
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "device1"
Driver "vesa"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "screen1"
Device "device1"
Monitor "monitor1"
DefaultColorDepth 24

Subsection "Display"
Depth 8
EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
Depth 15
EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "800x600" "640x480" "480x360" "320x240"
EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "layout1"
Screen "screen1"
EndSection
Then restarted the system.
But the problem here is that I'm not able to log into the system. and it showed me various type of error like system should run in low graphis mode. Whatever I tried to resolve were all in vain. Hence I was forced to install Isadora again.

Even while Installing Isadora I faced this issue. It is very frustating to cope up with this kind of issue.

Could you please help me?

Return to “Installation & Boot”