HOW TO: Solve your LMDE audio issues

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
blowtorch

HOW TO: Solve your LMDE audio issues

Post by blowtorch »

LMDE came with pulseaudio installed but not configured. The information contained here solves the configuration issues.
This solves multiple audio issues like flash player audio problems, running multiple audio programs at once and making some programs function correctly.

This was originally posted by omenest here (all credit to him) http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 81#p318668

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/asound.conf
paste the following code in the file asound.conf:

pcm.pulse {
    type pulse
}
ctl.pulse {
    type pulse
}
pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}
ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}
Save the file

Reboot your PC
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
c7p

Re: Solve your LMDE audio issues <<< sticky me

Post by c7p »

Thank you for the post :) , it solved the second problem occured after long time regarding my audio-card :D :D .
blowtorch

Post by blowtorch »

c7p wrote:Thank you for the post :) , it solved the second problem occured after long time regarding my audio-card :D :D .
I am glad it helped you are one of the many people who have resolved your issue with this simple yet effective solution. The just reaffirms the need for this information to be stickied.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Thread stickied
blowtorch

Post by blowtorch »

oscar799 wrote:Thread stickied
julio00

Re: HOW TO: Solve your LMDE audio issues

Post by julio00 »

I tried this solution to my audio problems but i'm still getting problems.

I have one Creative X-fi Express Music and the sound was working normally but I notice when I use totem, vlc or mplayer the volume control it's linked to the Master of the sound card. If I move the slider on Totem or VLC I can see the master control on alsamixer going up and down. If I open sound files with VLC and Totem at the same time both programs controls the master on the Sound Card.

Any idea?

Thanks
blowtorch

Post by blowtorch »

julio00 wrote:I tried this solution to my audio problems but i'm still getting problems.

I have one Creative X-fi Express Music and the sound was working normally but I notice when I use totem, vlc or mplayer the volume control it's linked to the Master of the sound card. If I move the slider on Totem or VLC I can see the master control on alsamixer going up and down. If I open sound files with VLC and Totem at the same time both programs controls the master on the Sound Card.

Any idea?

Thanks
This is not a bug, the programs are adjusting the master volume like they were designed to.

Within the pulseaudio volume control you can individually adjust application volume.
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

Worked for me :D
Thank you very much both of you!
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

Although I have not encountered issues relating to loss of sound, my audio only comes out of one of the speakers of my notebook. It's also very quiet, even on the maximum setting. I have adjusted the limited configuration, but that didn't help. I haven't found any other threads with the same problem. Not sure if this is directly related to pulse audio, but using ALSA in place of that did not help either. lspci output:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device 7220
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
Memory at f8ef8000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities: [70] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
Capabilities: [130] Root Complex Link
Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
kwevej

Post by kwevej »

I've solved problems by purging pulseaudio ;)

some howto here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60485
Last edited by kwevej on Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sirpecangum

Post by sirpecangum »

Thank you!
blowtorch

Post by blowtorch »

kwevej wrote:I've solved problems by purging pulseaudio ;)
ya ... that's not really a fix (i guess it is in a way) ... this was meant for people who want to use pulseaudio

i prefer pulseaudio because of it's preamp ability and i can easily switch between my speakers and hdmi output
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

I've found no difference after purging pulse-audio. For now I'm using external speakers and the sound is great. Will have to get some time to play with the hardware configuration so all the laptop speakers work in the future (oh and hopefully make them loud as well). :)
EdgarManhattan

Post by EdgarManhattan »

In addition to the above, I had to install the beta Adobe Flash player "square" here:
http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

The standard Flash did not output any sound. "Square" is a great flash player, it's visuals are better than the standard release, too.
beli0135

Post by beli0135 »

Here is best solution to sound problem:

$ sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio
$ sudo killall pulseaudio
$ sudo killall pulseaudio
pulseaudio: no process killed
$ (echo Package: pulseaudio; echo Pin: release a=fakerepo; echo Pin-Priority: 1999) |
sudo tee -a /etc/apt/preferences

I don't really know why developers are pushing (with foot) PulseAudio garbage. It's just GARBAGE. Doesn't work properly. Never did, probably never will.
kwevej

Post by kwevej »

lakehousetech wrote:I've found no difference after purging pulse-audio. For now I'm using external speakers and the sound is great. Will have to get some time to play with the hardware configuration so all the laptop speakers work in the future (oh and hopefully make them loud as well). :)
I've found a difference - much lower CPU usage while listening to music.

The idea behind PulseAudio is fine, sadly, the implementation is not.
zole052

Post by zole052 »

Now my sound works perfectly Image
kruijf

Post by kruijf »

blowtorch wrote:LMDE came with pulseaudio installed but not configured. The information contained here solves the configuration issues.
This solves multiple audio issues like flash player audio problems, running multiple audio programs at once and making some programs function correctly.

This was originally posted by omenest here (all credit to him) http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 81#p318668

sudo gedit /etc/asound.conf
paste the following code in the file asound.conf:

pcm.pulse {
    type pulse
}
ctl.pulse {
    type pulse
}
pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}
ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}
Save the file

Reboot your PC
I used this solution and it works great :)
Also i posted this solution on the dutch Mint forum.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Have been having problems with Pulse running my CPU at 100%. Making this entry seems to have resolved the problem but I am not sure why. CPU usage for pulse is not even registering at 1% now.
CDS

Post by CDS »

I installed LMDE in 2 computers. One is acer aspire netbook. It works the sound using tutorial by blowtorch in this forum. Another is Acer Aspire 4710 notebook. It works the sound with the built-in speaker but it doesn't work with headphone. I tried Linuxmint 10; ubuntu 10.10. All are the same result. Speaker works but headphone doesn't. I tried solution for Ubuntu 9.10 but it doesn't work on Ubuntu version 10.10. Is this problem related to hardware related issue?
Desperately needed help!

Return to “LMDE Archive”