Atheros AR9285 on TOSHIBA NB 200 netbook.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
i_surf_the_turf

Atheros AR9285 on TOSHIBA NB 200 netbook.

Post by i_surf_the_turf »

Just doesn't work!
I tried searching the atheros.com website but they haven't got a linux driver yet.
I think it's a shame since everything else works perfectly.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
i_surf_the_turf

Re: Atheros AR9285 on TOSHIBA NB 200 netbook.

Post by i_surf_the_turf »

Now the speaker doesn't work! Sound only through headphones. Grrrrrr.....
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

Well a check shows they're loading :
INSTALL drivers/net/wireless/ath/ar9170/ar9170usb.ko
INSTALL drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath.ko
INSTALL drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath5k/ath5k.ko
INSTALL drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath9k/ath9k.ko

So maybe there's a conflict on which driver is trying to be used,seen it on other occasions.

Editing the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file to include:
blacklist ath5k
blacklist ath_pci

Save the file->close->reboot

Also in a terminal type lsmod|grep ath and post the results as this may show us what module is in use.
And for safe measure be 100% sure the switch is "on" for wireless and that is shows properly with "lspci" in a terminal.
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

For sound check under the control center-->sound and see what the inputs and outputs look like, heard a few have this issue of plugging in headphones and then unplug them only to have the speakers be off. Wondering if when the headphones are plugged in if it's changing a few settings that don't get returned to normal?
scott.deagan

Post by scott.deagan »

I have the same problem using Linux Mint 8 on a Toshiba NB200 netbook. I also had the same problem with Ubuntu Netbook Remix. It's a known issue - sound only works through headphones.
balente84

Post by balente84 »

Having same problem here.
But the weird thing is, when I tried to install "Mint 8" for the first time,
sound worked and that was unbelievable so I rechecked it on Youtube, so it really worked before!

( Cause non of the linux distros gave me sound output on "Toshiba nb205" without painful terminal works )

Sadly, I didn't installed it that time. I saw a blog post that "Mint Fluxbox" is better than the regular
so I wiped out the USB, which was containing the original "Mint 8"

Anyways, after that, I made USB-live-cd over than 10 times, but I couldn't hear any sound anymore :roll:

Return to “Beginner Questions”