Compiz

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
boowho
Level 1
Level 1

Compiz

Post by boowho »

Quick question.... Does the Mint Mate installation CD automatically have Compiz included??

Thanks
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Compiz

Post by 1000 »

1. CD have about 700 MB , ISO from website have Size: 2.9GB So you need USB pendrive / Flash Drives / memory sticks
https://www.linuxmint.com/download_all.php

2. I tested Linux Mint on distrosea. Linux Mint 21.3 includes Compiz but is disabled.

Edited.

If I may comment.
Mate was created to be a lighter desktop environment than Gnome.

1. USB is popular and economical enough that you can have at least two devices. One for private files and the other as a rescue system.

2. In my opinion, disabled Compiz is unnecessary.
It's better to create a script that asks whether to install and install it with a ready configuration.
Compiz without animation can also be very light, but still needs some refinement.

3. Sometimes we have better and better computers,
but the system is also becoming heavier ( systemd, additional applications at startup and window composer enabled by default )
We have no control over some things.
But I suggest giving the user a choice after installation whether he wants to enable composer or not.

4. I don't know how, but you can try to create your own customized ISO with your own applications.
For example with enabled
Plank / Avant Window Navigator / Cairo Dock / Latte , Compiz , Emerald, GRUB2 Theme / rEFInd Theme
Just warn users that these are advanced tools and may cause problems with weak hardware and in certain conditions.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

So I guess the quick answer is No :)
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

1. My Mint Mate installation uses Compiz.

2. The Mint Mate Live ISO is defaulted to "marco+compositing", but I can switch to "compiz" in a few clicks.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

1000 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:20 am 1. CD have about 700 MB , ISO from website have Size: 2.9GB So you need USB pendrive / Flash Drives / memory sticks
It will also fit on a DVD, which is what I presume the OP meant instead of CD.
boowho
Level 1
Level 1

Cube

Post by boowho »

Compiz has at least stopped doing the things I mentioned before (not being able to moved windows, etc) but now I can't get the cube to rotate using the CTRL/ALT , drag with LMB. Help??
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 1000 »

1. One problem = One topic

2. Check if Compiz working
process, animations

Return to “MATE”