can't format my second HD

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Athrwys
Level 1
Level 1

can't format my second HD

Post by Athrwys »

hi there
I recently moved from win10 to mint, and in the processes i wanted to format all my storage-i have 2, 1 ssd which i made work and formatted, and 1 hdd that is the problem.
in a way to try and format i installed Gparted, but when i try to use it, the partition i want to format doesn't show any process that i could make, it's a ntfs system, and it has win10 files and was parted in win10
i wold like to a way to format it, without having to go to windows again
(Sorry for the spelling and grammatical errors, English isn't my first language)
grndplane
Level 4
Level 4
Location: Sunny California - Where everything cost's twice what it should.

Re: can't format my second HD

Post by grndplane »

Try Gparted. Delete the offending partition and hit apply. Then add the new partition.
-grndplane (Mike)
Linux Mint 21.x 64-bit
Kernel: 6.X-liquorix-amd64
WM: LeftWM
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: can't format my second HD

Post by AndyMH »

I suspect the partition you are trying to delete is mounted. You cannot change/delete a mounted partition. You need to un-mount it first. Right click on it and un-mount.

The partition highlighted is mounted, it tells you where it is mounted.
Screenshot from 2024-03-29 13-17-53.png
Note - when you create new partitions with gparted it will tell you what will happen at the bottom of the window. Nothing happens until you edit > apply all changes.

I recommend you add labels to all your data partitions, e.g. mylabel. Mint will automount them at /media/you/mylabel. If you don't add a label mint will automount using the UUID (a long number), not user friendly. Keep your labels short and avoid spaces.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Storage”