[SOLVED] No Password was installed - total newbie - other stuff asking for password?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LadyG
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] No Password was installed - total newbie - other stuff asking for password?

Post by LadyG »

Hello to all! I'm MIB (Mint In Box) New to Linux. Maybe that's funny :? , I have no idea...

To begin with the background reference of my issue,
1. I have no idea how to use Linux, it was installed for me on an old Macbook Air 2011 after wiping the iOS on the Mac and using Fish as the shell.
2. Although the previous sentence may make you think I have any idea what I'm talking about, I actually only have the barest understanding!
So please, use small words and don't omit even what you think are well-known steps, or direct me to the most BASIC directions on the internet -(like for 80 year old grandma's)

All my google searches link to pages that are completely beyond my understanding to implement, as I have only just started learning COMMAND lines.

So, as I said, someone installed Linux for me. I found the "Linux Terminal" (thank you Google search) and it says the version is Linux Mint 21.3.VIrginia.
The installer did not put a password on the computer itself, so I just turn it on, and press enter without putting any password into the password field, and the computer starts up.

HOWEVER, upon attempting to learn and run the Linux and Fish systems, I keep finding it WANTS passwords every time I try to do something. For example sudo wanted a password, (whatever that is, I forgot what I was trying to do) and a software driver update program included within the Linux software also wanted a password.

SO... I don't know what to do, and in the systems of Linux I don't see any passwords saved.
Again, I only have the barest knowledge. I appreciate anyone's help - especially with simple words and clear instructions. Imagine you are teaching a six year-old!
Thanks so much in advance!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: No Password was installed - total newbie - other stuff asking for password?

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint can't be installed without setting a password. What the person that installed it for you must have done is:
1) Configure your account to automatically log in, so it doesn't prompt you for a login password after booting
2) Didn't give that password to you so now you can't run administrative tasks because those require you to authorize them with your password

So your account has a password but you don't know it. Is there an option to ask the person that installed it for you what password they set?

If not you will have to set a new password on your account. You can follow the steps in my post here to do that: viewtopic.php?p=2060826#p2060826
LadyGagain
Level 1
Level 1

Locked out of my previous forum account

Post by LadyGagain »

Hi! For whatever reason, I’m locked out of my previous account, no idea if it’s some weird thing here in France. Paasword reset not workong and no captcha shows, could be poor internet… so I’m replying here, and will hope the other can be recovered in future.

Firstly, thank you for the prompt and clear reply!

I read the linked post, turned off the computer, pressed the start key and held ‘Esc’, it brought me to the menu that said ‘Grub’, but there were no options such as ‘Boot recovery mode’ or ‘Advanced’ anything, it just says ‘Grub’ with a cursor blinking.

I did try to research the problem, learn about Grub, tried to use f12 during restart (a google recommendation) to get to the menu you described, but I’m unable to do so, it is just plain Grub with a cursor. What to do?

I can also enter commands in the Fish shell, but I don’t really know what I’m doing there either, still learning the manual and what Fish is for.

So sorry to be so low-tech brain! Thanks so much for your help!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Ah. Seems I was ill informed by somebody else.

Instead of pressing the Escape key repeatedly after powering on the computer, press the down arrow key repeatedly after powering on the computer. That should get you into the menu instead of the useless grub> prompt.
LadyGagain
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LadyGagain »

Hi!
Thanks again for the reply, that does not seem to work either.

I did try several times with different speeds of key presses :lol: and even tried simply holding it down on a couple of the restarts, sadly nothing.

I have written the programming service, but as they’re in the US and I’m in France for several months, I might be on my own unless he can remember a password. :shock:

I’ll keep checking back here for further developements. Thank you again!
LadyGagain
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LadyGagain »

Since I am unable to log in to the original post, maybe the moderators can edit the title to say "SOLVED"?

Short answer re last post after I spoke to the software installer - it's probably a keyboard problem. We had rerouted a non-functional key, and the computer and keyboard are perfectly usable, but there can be no resets or reboots without the key becoming unfunctional again and jacking up the works.

SO, new keyboard ordered! Hopefully that will allow me to try the options for password resets.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: [SOLVED] No Password was installed - total newbie - other stuff asking for password?

Post by Moem »

Sure thing! Done. :)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”