How to read mysterious shutdown output? [SOLVED]

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fatso
Level 4
Level 4

How to read mysterious shutdown output? [SOLVED]

Post by fatso »

Hi folks. Recently I started getting a long list of "something" immediately before my system reboots or shuts down. Disappears way too fast to read. Is there maybe a log somewhere I check to see what all that garbledy-gook is about? Using LM 21.3 Mate.
Last edited by fatso on Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
senjoz
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How to read mysterious shutdown output?

Post by senjoz »

Use terminal command journalctl -b -1 -r -p x to display log messages from previous boot-shutdown in reverse order filtered by priority (x can be from 0 to 7, "emerg" (0), "alert" (1), "crit" (2), "err" (3), "warning" (4), "notice" (5), "info" (6), "debug" (7)). Read man journalctl.
fatso
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fatso »

Thanks for the info. No matter which option I use, every response is:

Code: Select all

Specifying boot ID or boot offset has no effect, no persistent journal was found
That sounds like not a good thing (?).
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

fatso wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:02 pm Thanks for the info. No matter which option I use, every response is:

Specifying boot ID or boot offset has no effect, no persistent journal was found
That sounds like not a good thing (?).
Sounds like you might have installed software to "clean" your system. That is what we discovered about the install of the last person I saw who got that message. I don't recall the name of the software they used.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
fatso
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fatso »

I do have Stacer installed, but that's been on the system for a long time without this issue. Doesn't mean that's not the culprit though I guess.
I'll keep digging and see what I can find out. Thanks for the heads-up.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

fatso wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:10 pm I do have Stacer installed, but that's been on the system for a long time without this issue.
Without what issue? I didn't say Stacer was causing your mysterious shutdown issue. I said Stacer was the reason you don't have a persistent journal.

I just checked and Stacer was what the other person installed and setup to remove persistent journal (log) files.
fatso
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fatso »

SMG wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:25 pm
fatso wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:10 pm I do have Stacer installed, but that's been on the system for a long time without this issue.
Without what issue? I didn't say Stacer was causing your mysterious shutdown issue. I said Stacer was the reason you don't have a persistent journal.

I just checked and Stacer was what the other person installed and setup to remove persistent journal (log) files.
If stacer is indeed responsible for this, I guess it removed the persistent journal by default because I didn't set it up to do that and it's never done that in the past. At least, not that I could tell (never had all this output on shutdown). Is there a way to create/generate a new journal? OR is this actually nothing to be concerned about (I'm only concerned about system stability here)?

EDIT: found instructions online to make journal logs persistent, but will wait until I know if it's worth being concerned about.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

fatso wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 amIf stacer is indeed responsible for this, I guess it removed the persistent journal by default because I didn't set it up to do that and it's never done that in the past. At least, not that I could tell (never had all this output on shutdown). Is there a way to create/generate a new journal? OR is this actually nothing to be concerned about (I'm only concerned about system stability here)?

EDIT: found instructions online to make journal logs persistent, but will wait until I know if it's worth being concerned about.
In the other topic, the person had to change the settings they were using in Stacer and make some other changes to make the journal persistent again. I don't know how much of that was their setup, but the discussion started approximately here.
fatso
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fatso »

SMG wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 am
fatso wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 amIf stacer is indeed responsible for this, I guess it removed the persistent journal by default because I didn't set it up to do that and it's never done that in the past. At least, not that I could tell (never had all this output on shutdown). Is there a way to create/generate a new journal? OR is this actually nothing to be concerned about (I'm only concerned about system stability here)?

In the other topic, the person had to change the settings they were using in Stacer and make some other changes to make the journal persistent again. I don't know how much of that was their setup, but the discussion started approximately here.
I appreciate all your help. Got persistent journal working again, but from what I'm seeing online, there are likely other logs missing as well and I'm stumped about what they might be. Still have the large amount of output right before power down on reboot or shutdown. I'd post the output of

journalctl -b -1 | tail -n 200
but it's quite lengthy. At least it shows up now. ;) Unless you or anyone else have any other ideas, I'll just live with it. BTW: in the other thread you linked to, someone said to tell Stacer to revert to original (default?) LM settings, but that ain't anywhere to be found in Stacer. Also, it seems this has been a known issue for quite some time and has never been addressed by Stacer's dev. I'm learning the hard way again. LOL
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

fatso wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 am I'd post the output of

journalctl -b -1 | tail -n 200
but it's quite lengthy.
It's 200 lines long. (That's what the 200 means.)

You can do senjoz's original suggestion now that you have it working again. That is likely to be shorter.
senjoz wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:32 pm Use terminal command journalctl -b -1 -r -p x to display log messages from previous boot-shutdown in reverse order filtered by priority (x can be from 0 to 7, "emerg" (0), "alert" (1), "crit" (2), "err" (3), "warning" (4), "notice" (5), "info" (6), "debug" (7)). Read man journalctl.

fatso wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 am BTW: in the other thread you linked to, someone said to tell Stacer to revert to original (default?) LM settings, but that ain't anywhere to be found in Stacer. Also, it seems this has been a known issue for quite some time and has never been addressed by Stacer's dev. I'm learning the hard way again. LOL
All I know about Stacer (which is only slightly more than how to spell the name) is in the other topic.
fatso
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fatso »

I'll check on those options. Thanks for the reminder and thanks especially for all your help! I'm not going to mark this as solved just yet. ;)
fatso
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fatso »

Kernel 5.15-100 & 101 were the culprits. Booted into 5.15-97 and all that shutdown output is GONE. Marking as solved.

Return to “Other topics”