[SOLVED] Is there an app that will constantly clear or block only my middle click paste clipboard?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MandSpades
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Is there an app that will constantly clear or block only my middle click paste clipboard?

Post by MandSpades »

So, for SOME REASON not a single method of blocking my middle click paste functionality works on my computer. I despise this feature, I hate hitting the middle click to scroll or whatever and pasting something. I hate the middle mouse button having any functionality other than helping me scroll around or doing whatever a game or application assigns to it.

But grub customizer only worked temporarily and every settings app seems to be ENTIRELY IGNORED by my computer for some reason.

So I wanted to know: is there SOMETHING I can do to exclusively block or constantly clear my middle click paste so that it effectively no longer exists?

I hate middle click paste.
Last edited by MandSpades on Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Is there an app that will constantly clear or block only my middle click paste clipboard?

Post by billyswong »

This issue is totally unrelated to "grub customizer". No idea why you mentioned that. Also, which DE are you running? Cinnamon, Mate, or Xfce?

If you are running Cinnamon, in "Mouse and Touchpad", there is a toggle box for "Paste the current selection when middle-click is pressed".

If you are running Mate, in "Mouse", there is a checkbox for "Enable middlemouse paste".

If you are running Xfce, sorry, Xfce is known to contain less customization functions in general.

Also, in Firefox about:config, there is a key "middlemouse.paste". It is toggled true in Linux by default. Middle click paste is controlled there independent of the DE.
MandSpades
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Is there an app that will constantly clear or block only my middle click paste clipboard?

Post by MandSpades »

billyswong wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:56 am This issue is totally unrelated to "grub customizer". No idea why you mentioned that. Also, which DE are you running? Cinnamon, Mate, or Xfce?

If you are running Cinnamon, in "Mouse and Touchpad", there is a toggle box for "Paste the current selection when middle-click is pressed".

If you are running Mate, in "Mouse", there is a checkbox for "Enable middlemouse paste".

If you are running Xfce, sorry, Xfce is known to contain less customization functions in general.

Also, in Firefox about:config, there is a key "middlemouse.paste". It is toggled true in Linux by default. Middle click paste is controlled there independent of the DE.
Out of all these, the only one that works is the Firefox one. The one for Cinnamon is already disabled and yet I still have a middle mouse paste function SOMEHOW.
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

Is it in every applications or only some?

p.s. I found Qt based software ignore this setting. It looks like KDE is only adding options to disable that for Wayland. https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=441668

p.s.2 An old discussion on this issue viewtopic.php?t=336748
MandSpades
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MandSpades »

billyswong wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:30 am Is it in every applications or only some?

p.s. I found Qt based software ignore this setting. It looks like KDE is only adding options to disable that for Wayland. https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=441668

p.s.2 An old discussion on this issue viewtopic.php?t=336748
I am looking at it, I have sxhkd and xsel installed but don't know how to configure and no commands are taught, only "just configure it, bro", which is completely incomprehensible to me as I'm not a Linux expert and have just begun my IT major. I'd need a clearer explanation.
MandSpades
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MandSpades »

Image (Link to the image if you can't see it)
I would just like to point out how angry I am that this person seems to have the perfect solution for me but couldn't SIMPLY BE EXPLICIT STEP BY STEP ON HOW TO DO THIS.

How do I change the configuration???????
What in the actual rainbows. Is it so hard to just tell me what command to paste to do exactly what is asked, or exactly in what way to edit the rainbows file if I open it on the text editor?
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

MandSpades wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:44 pm Image
At the bottom, the mention of "XMousePasteBlock" is interesting. I checked it out and found someone created an unofficial PPA for it ppa:jackenmen/xmousepasteblock That person is only sharing a personal build, so LM 21.x is compatible with that PPA, but sorry for anyone still running LM 20.x.

Procedure:
In termainl, run

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jackenmen/xmousepasteblock
sudo apt update
sudo apt install xmousepasteblock
Then in "Startup Application", "+" a "Custom command", with "name" and "command" both be xmousepasteblock
Relogin.

----

The original tool writer of xmousepasteblock has acknowledged the need to compile a .deb for the masses but haven't done it officially yet. Yet in the StackOverflow screenshot, that commenter called it "packaged nicely" already. Standard of some people are so low.

But well, it is a standalone app, so it matches your initial goal perfectly~
MandSpades
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MandSpades »

Thank you so much, but...

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jackenmen/xmousepasteblock
Cannot add PPA: '"Failed to download the PPA: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='ppa.launchpadcontent.net', port=443): Read timed out. (read timeout=10)."'.
What do I do? ._.

I found the original github, but it asks me to build it myself. So I should build it myself? 'Cause when I go to the Software Manager, there are >many options< of each of the dependencies listed. I wonder if my system already has them, or if there's an easier way.
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

Some suggest your problem is due to bad configuration of IPv6 of your ISP, pretending things work when they aren't.
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux4noobs/co ... timed_out/

You should be able to disable IPv6 by clicking on the network tray icon, then swim through the GUI.
MandSpades
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MandSpades »

TYSM!!!
What do I change about the post to confirm that this was solved, again? Just add a [SOLVED] at the start?
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

"Edit" your starting post, then add the "SOLVED" word to the subject field.

Return to “Software & Applications”