CANON scanner "Canoscan 9950F"

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
szcs
Level 1
Level 1

CANON scanner "Canoscan 9950F"

Post by szcs »

I kindly request for your help as i am newbie to Linux and to Linux-mint also.
I own a CANON "Canoscan 9950F" scanner perfectly working under any "windows" OS, but i can't make it work under Linux Mint latest version. It is not recognized by Mint.
CANON does not provide any Linux drivers for that model. Also, it is not listed in "SANE" compatibility list.
What do i have to do to make it work ?

Best regards
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: CANON scanner "Canoscan 9950F"

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

szcs wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:37 am I kindly request for your help as i am newbie to Linux and to Linux-mint also.
I own a CANON "Canoscan 9950F" scanner perfectly working under any "windows" OS, but i can't make it work under Linux Mint latest version. It is not recognized by Mint.
CANON does not provide any Linux drivers for that model. Also, it is not listed in "SANE" compatibility list.
What do i have to do to make it work ?

Best regards
Look into Vuescan. https://www.hamrick.com/ I did a quickie compatibility check and your scanner is supported. Vuescan is not a free program but the license is for life and you can use it with more than one scanner and computer. I use it on two computers and three different scanners.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:45 pm Look into Vuescan. https://www.hamrick.com/ I did a quickie compatibility check and your scanner is supported. Vuescan is not a free program but the license is for life and you can use it with more than one scanner and computer. I use it on two computers and three different scanners.
I did the same, but when you scroll down through the detail, that scanner is only supported on win and mac, not linux :(
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

AndyMH wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:08 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:45 pm Look into Vuescan. https://www.hamrick.com/ I did a quickie compatibility check and your scanner is supported. Vuescan is not a free program but the license is for life and you can use it with more than one scanner and computer. I use it on two computers and three different scanners.
I did the same, but when you scroll down through the detail, that scanner is only supported on win and mac, not linux :(
Oopsie! :oops:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
szcs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by szcs »

Thanks a lot for your time "Lady Fitzgerald".
But even the lifetime pro version is priced 100 euro... So I think it would be a lot better to buy a low-end new scanner (70-80euro) compatible with Linux or one already included in SANE's comp list.
I also don't think that a 100 Euro program deserves a place in a Linux system. And the free version produces a watermarked output...
Maybe after a few months "Canoscan 9950F will be included in SANE's comp list. Until then i will continue using my scanner under Win-11 and keep transferring files (although the drivers provided by Canon are for Win-7, they are working for Win-10 and for Win-11).
Once again THANK YOU.
Best regards
szcs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by szcs »

Thanks a lot "AndyMH".
So even Vuescan does not help...

Best regards
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

szcs wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:33 pm I also don't think that a 100 Euro program deserves a place in a Linux system.
I've been using vuescan for years, long before I came to linux, so I got the linux version. I think it is worth every penny. I do agree that you are better buying a new scanner that is supported in linux. Can't give you a recommendation, I'm using an ancient epson.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
szcs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by szcs »

So far i am not able to find a solution..
So i am thinking to install Oracle's VirtualBox and create a Windows-10 virtual machine to host the scanner's drivers and applications.
I will keep you informed.
Thank you all for your help.
szcs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by szcs »

Please, let me inform you that i have already tested a working solution about how to make my CANON "CanoScan 9950F" work under Linux Mint latest edition. :D
I installed Oracle's "Virtual Box" and then created a "Windows 10 Pro" virtual machine. After that i downloaded and installed the latest driver and software from Canon's site. (As i said before, although Canon does not support this scanner since win-7 era, the old drivers are working fine for win-10 and win-11) Now my scanner is working as it should. The scanner fully integrates to the PDF software i am using since my computer was powered by win-10 OS (PDF Element). Everything is fine now. I am able to create any PDF document i like, and then "transfer" it to my Mint host OS for further utilization.
Although this is not the best solution, it is a fully working solution.
I hope that other users having hardware compatibility problems with some old hardware, will solve the issue if they will follow the same or a similar "path".

I would also like to thank the members of the forum for their contribution as their replies became food for thought for me, and i finally found a working solution.

Best regards

PS: Moderators are kindly requested to mark this topic as solved.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

that is how I had to get my two Canon printers to work.

reboot into Windows, and follow the URL provided in the printer manual.

once the printer is working on Windows, Mint finds it just fine.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
KodiakCanoe
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KodiakCanoe »

szcs wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:44 pm I installed Oracle's "Virtual Box" and then created a "Windows 10 Pro" virtual machine.
I did something similar and created a Windows7 virtual machine for my CanoScan 4200f. It's the only way I could get it to work. I don't scan a lot so it's not much trouble to boot the VM occasionally.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”