Screenshots need an auto save

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
NavN
Level 1
Level 1

Screenshots need an auto save

Post by NavN »

I'm using Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon. When I take a screenshot, a dialog box opens up asking me where I want to save the file. Could you please provide an option to allow the screenshots to get auto saved to the Pictures folder? As of now I don't see any such option in the screensaver app's preferences.
There are this, and this speaking of the same thing.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Screenshots need an auto save

Post by motoryzen »

Could you please provide an option to allow the screenshots to get auto saved to the Pictures folder? As of now I don't see any such option in the screensaver app's preferences
By default./stock..Linux Mint is supposed to save screenshots using the single and only the PrintScreen ( PrtSc on my ducky shine keyboard) button to /home/username/Pictures. The fact that it isn't says something has been changed that probably shouldn't have, but I not 100% sure.

Regardless I always create a " Screenshots " folder inside Pictures folder and then tell my LM Cinnamon pc to save them there using this command
**** Obviously replace the word " username" with what you named your system when you first installed Linux Mint thus for me it would be

gsettings set org.gnome.gnome-screenshot auto-save-directory "file:///home/taco/Pictures/Screenshots/"

I've tested just now on my LM 21.1 Cinnamon pc and the final ...forward slash before the last quote..doesn't seem to matter either way (shrugs)

You can also find this setting within launching the gui dconf-editor either via that exact name in terminal or the main menu ( windows logo button on your keyboard) navigate via the selections on the left of that window ... located at ...

org/gnome/gnome-screenshot

And you'll notice two things you could take a look at ... one is auto-save-directory and the other is last-save-directory

I believe it is the auto-save-directory selection you'll need to focus on changing. If it's already set to /home/username/Pictures and that is where you want your screen shots to go, I question if there is a need to reinstall or re-copy over from a Live Linux Mint installation drive that such tool if available somewhere in the / directory of it to your LM installed drive. * not trying to fear monger here but just trying to think ahead *

I have many more gsettings set as well as dconf write commands that can be beneficial to those prepping an " install and setup pc" bashscript like I'm still working on. Almost there ;) My thanks to smurphos who has helped others on here on other settings bring these to my attention. I'm sure at least a hand full of others have also.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
NavN
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NavN »

Small correction. There needs to be a leading slash for "/org/gnome/gnome-screenshot".
I tried via dconf-editor, but the only option that's provided is to set the autosave folder. But even after setting it, I'm still shown a dialog box to select the folder to save the screenshot to.
The point is that I don't want that dialog box. When I press PrtScn, I just want the image to get saved to the Pictures folder without prompting me with a dialog box.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

Replace with KSnip. Configure as you will..
https://github.com/ksnip/ksnip
randyman99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by randyman99 »

RIH wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 6:34 am Replace with KSnip. Configure as you will..
https://github.com/ksnip/ksnip
This is almost good. It still puts up a notification window for each screenshot taken, and there doesn't seem to be a configuration setting to turn that off. Sure, I could click on the notification window, or wait 10 seconds for it to fade on its own, but that's minimally different from clicking on the save window with gnome-screenshot.
randyman99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by randyman99 »

motoryzen wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:46 pm You can also find this setting within launching the gui dconf-editor either via that exact name in terminal or the main menu ( windows logo button on your keyboard) navigate via the selections on the left of that window ... located at ...

And you'll notice two things you could take a look at ... one is auto-save-directory and the other is last-save-directory
Unfortunately, even with the dconf-editor, there is not an option to just automatically save the screenshot without the prompt of "Is this the right filename and directory you want to save it into?" Well, yeah, that's why I set it in the autosave option. There's no need to ask.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Unfortunately, even with the dconf-editor, there is not an option to just automatically save the screenshot without the prompt of "Is this the right filename and directory you want to save it into?"
Ok I see now. sorry.

You're talking about that pop up window that has Cancel button in upper left of it and Save in the top right

Well Imo a reasonable happy medium to kind of accomplish your mission to automated getting passed that popup window when you do a screenshot deal ..is using xdotool

So you could in Keyboard custom shortcuts...create a custom shortcut that when done presses that same Screenshot hotkey && ( && means the task/command before it will process until finished ..and then whatever is immediately after the && will then immediately begin processing) and then shift+Tab

So for me taking a full regular screenshot it would look like this if I set the Prtscr button to say super+p

xdotool key shift+p && key shift+Tab sleep 0.2 key Return

Once you have the cursor on the Save button and press enter or Return..that pop up window exists and it saves the screenshot per how you did it.

*shrugs*

Other than that...I have no further ideas at this time
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
ryzen 5900x
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Kazam is easy to use, and Preferences allow you to:

name the file and select folder
or autosave as a TimestampKazam.mp4 in videos
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

You can assign custom shortcut key in Menu > Keyboard > Shortcuts. There you can assign a command line to the Printscreen key (or any other key combo you want) to replace the default taking screenshot operation:

Code: Select all

bash -c 'gnome-screenshot -f "$(xdg-user-dir PICTURES)/Screenshot from $(date -I) $(date +%H-%M-%S).png"'
Above I am assigning a pathname same as what the screenshot program save to by default.

How to undo:
Remove the keyboard binding of your "Custom Shortcuts". There is a category called "System" > "Screenshots and Recordings" where you can find the original "Take a screenshot" to give the key binding back.
heavy metal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by heavy metal »

motoryzen wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:46 pm
Could you please provide an option to allow the screenshots to get auto saved to the Pictures folder? As of now I don't see any such option in the screensaver app's preferences
By default./stock..Linux Mint is supposed to save screenshots using the single and only the PrintScreen ( PrtSc on my ducky shine keyboard) button to /home/username/Pictures. The fact that it isn't says something has been changed that probably shouldn't have, but I not 100% sure.

Regardless I always create a " Screenshots " folder inside Pictures folder and then tell my LM Cinnamon pc to save them there using this command
**** Obviously replace the word " username" with what you named your system when you first installed Linux Mint thus for me it would be

gsettings set org.gnome.gnome-screenshot auto-save-directory "file:///home/taco/Pictures/Screenshots/"

I've tested just now on my LM 21.1 Cinnamon pc and the final ...forward slash before the last quote..doesn't seem to matter either way (shrugs)

You can also find this setting within launching the gui dconf-editor either via that exact name in terminal or the main menu ( windows logo button on your keyboard) navigate via the selections on the left of that window ... located at ...

I believe it is the auto-save-directory selection you'll need to focus on changing. If it's already set to /home/username/Pictures and that is where you want your screen shots to go, I question if there is a need to reinstall or re-copy over from a Live Linux Mint installation drive that such tool if available somewhere in the / directory of it to your LM installed drive. * not trying to fear monger here but just trying to think ahead *

I have many more gsettings set as well as dconf write commands that can be beneficial to those prepping an " install and setup pc" bashscript like I'm still working on. Almost there ;) My thanks to smurphos who has helped others on here on other settings bring these to my attention. I'm sure at least a hand full of others have also.
Thank you very much @ Motoryzen, the command line below did the trick!

Code: Select all

Last edited by heavy metal on Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Navn. awesome to read that ! :)

Please go back up top to your first comment in this topic and add in the Subject field something like (( solved )) so others will know you no longer need help with this issue without them having to click to visit this exact webpage.

Cheers
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
ryzen 5900x
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”