[SOLVED] No sound on TV via hdmi

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
paut
Level 1
Level 1

Re: No sound on TV via hdmi

Post by paut »

Hi @diabolicbg, I was in fact running Xfce first, but switched to Cinnamon to see what happens with the sound problem. Sorry for causing confusion. I've been away for a few days, but am back & still looking for a solution.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

paut wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:43 am Monitor-1: HDMI-1 mapped: HDMI-A-1 model: Idek Iiyama PL2473HD res: 1920x1080 hz: 60 dpi: 94
size: 521x293mm (20.5x11.5") diag: 598mm (23.5") modes: max: 1920x1080 min: 720x400[/code]
What is the make and model of the TV? All I could find for Idek liyama are computer monitors.

What is the output of

Code: Select all

aplay -l
Please place the results in code tags as described in this tutorial How to use code display tags on forums.linuxmint.com.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
paut
Level 1
Level 1

Post by paut »

Hi SMG,

I collected the system info for my previous message with the LM Zbox connected to an Iiyama monitor on my computer desk, instead of the Samsung-tv in my tv-corner (I hate typing with the keyboard on my knees). And in the meanwhile I appear to have solved the issue by pure luck. This is a summary of what happened:

The problem: no sound from my Samsung tv when connected to my Linux Mint machine via hdmi. Here's a breakdown of my troubleshooting steps:

1) I checked the software configuration and noticed that the sound settings in both Xfce and Cinnamon desktop environments (DEs) didn't have an 'hdmi/dp' output option, suggesting the LM system wasn't recognizing the hdmi connection for audio.
2) I upgraded the Linux kernel from 5.15 to 6.5, hoping it would include new drivers enabling hdmi audio support. While the 'hdmi/dp' option appeared after the upgrade, there was still no sound coming from the tv.
3) I systematically tested different hdmi cables and hdmi ports on the tv to rule out any faulty hardware on that end.
4) While ruling this out, I noticed that the tv did produce sound when I switched it on a bit earlier, well before switching on the pc.

My explanation:
- A software issue prevented hdmi audio recognition. Upgrading the kernel added the 'hdmi/dp' functionality that was necessary to resolve the issue.
- Apart from that, there might have been a glitch during the hdmi handshake between the pc and tv when establishing the connection (while powering up the pc). This was solved by switching on the tv well before the pc. Now I switch on the LM pc as soon as 'SAMSUNG' appears on the tv screen.

So thank you @SMG and @diabolicbg for helping me to troubleshoot this problem. And sorry for creating confusion by changing DEs and workplaces while troubleshooting.

SMG wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:35 pm
paut wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:43 am Monitor-1: HDMI-1 mapped: HDMI-A-1 model: Idek Iiyama PL2473HD res: 1920x1080 hz: 60 dpi: 94
size: 521x293mm (20.5x11.5") diag: 598mm (23.5") modes: max: 1920x1080 min: 720x400[/code]
What is the make and model of the TV? All I could find for Idek liyama are computer monitors.

What is the output of

Code: Select all

aplay -l
Please place the results in code tags as described in this tutorial How to use code display tags on forums.linuxmint.com.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

paut wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:01 amMy explanation:
- A software issue prevented hdmi audio recognition. Upgrading the kernel added the 'hdmi/dp' functionality that was necessary to resolve the issue.
- Apart from that, there might have been a glitch during the hdmi handshake between the pc and tv when establishing the connection (while powering up the pc). This was solved by switching on the tv well before the pc. Now I switch on the LM pc as soon as 'SAMSUNG' appears on the tv screen.
Good to hear you found a solution that works for you. Please go to your first post in this topic, click the pencil icon, and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the title and submit the revised post so others know you are no longer seeking help on this issue. (animated gif courtesy of user BJZilberman)
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Sound”