Bought a "brand new cellphone" and .....

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Bought a "brand new cellphone" and .....

Post by AZgl1800 »

it is a Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5g

very nice, I was lucky to find an unmolested, new in the box, never opened specimen on Swappa.com
I like to buy used phones, and my limit is about $300

this time, though, I upped that to $340.00 for a specimen that the vendor stated "has all original packaging, never opened" :shock:

hmmmm, wonder why?
so, I did some research, it seems that model phone was discontinued about a year after it was introduced, because some of the S22 phones had all the same features, and blah blah blah....

me? I don't care, I keep phones until they break, or get crushed under the wheels of something.

What I found unusual with it though, is the Android updates,
it went through them Sequentially, it is now on the 4th Security Update.

so why did I buy an older phone?
because I have FAT fingers, and I need a LOT of Real Estate to use the keyboard and click on the Icons, and my 81 y/o eyes can't see small fonts anymore.

the phone it replaced, is a Galaxy S10+, another phone with a Large Screen on it....
I dropped it, and crunch,
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Bought a "brand new cellphone" and .....

Post by BG405 »

AZgl1800 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:00 am I dropped it, and crunch
This is a great shame and disappointment .. and one reason I refuse to have one of those things (at least until there's absolutely no alternative). I want something with a real keypad and a tough plastic screen, which I can chuck about without worrying about it.

These things should be resistant to accidents like this.

Reminds me of a mate's experience a while ago with one of those "supposedly indestructible" Samsung (Galaxy?) phones; you might have seen the adverts where they bend them in a press, drop them in water etc. .. only, about 2 weeks after purchase, to have the thing slip from her fingers and drop from less than a couple of feet onto the edge of her coffee table .. landed on the one "less" protected spot .. brand new, expensive phone now scrap, due to the screen having cracked.

Gutting.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Bought a "brand new cellphone" and .....

Post by AZgl1800 »

my daughter is a Rural mail carrier, her Galaxy S10e is smaller in footprint than my S10+, and she keeps it in a Wallet with her driver license and once credit card.

she was pushing a mail cart from the post office to her car, it weighs right at 1,000 lbs.
just as she exited the exterior door, it fell off the mail cart and the steel wheels rolled over it.

no phone can withstand a Rock Crusher..... I had to buy her a Walmart special "right now" with 30 days of use prepaid. oh well, I had her a "new S10e" in her hands 5 days later, ready to go, minus all the good apps that she had on it.

my S10+ is still working, it is laying next to me right now, the screen is splintered, and bubbled up, but it still works.... works good enough that Samsung's Smart Switch transferred all of the apps and data to my new Note20 Ultra 5g....

it is a shame, that Smart Switch does not carry over the Preferences and nuances of how you use each app. :cry:

I have about 15 hours in my new Note20, getting passwords, and such cranked back in it...
several important apps are giving me hell, off phone passwords to apps that Sync up, Joplin..... when I put that on the phone, I was not smart enough to choose the correct host... and now I am stumbling badly, to keep my Laptop's Joplin safe, and not loose any of its' data.

I have to move it from Dropbox to something that is safer.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Open Chat”