Re: What's the appeal that makes some people want to change their package manager?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: What's the appeal that makes some people want to change their package manager?

Post by Moem »

Edit: OP was a spambot and has been removed.

To be honest I've never heard of anyone doing that, but that may be on me. Is it a thing?
Last edited by xenopeek on Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edit to add note OP has been removed

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

There is usually no "appeal", people just want to try different things out of curiosity.
Oh, and also because some dumb Youtuber told them so. Like: "STOP USING APT! IT'S HORRIBLE!!!"
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

The idea of global package managers that would be distro-agnostic and with packages as easily installable and updatable to their latest versions as executables on Windows is very old on Linux. So it is not just a question of appeal, trends, curiosity.
Simply all formats which we have been presented with until now never outweighed the obvious advantages of classic Linux package managers: security, stability and (not always) simplicity. But like it or not, flatpak has gained some traction and Linux Mint is doing the right thing by integrating flatpak especially when Ubuntu's future stance towards debian package manager hangs in the balance.
Last edited by MiZoG on Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Post by djph »

spamegg wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:48 pm There is usually no "appeal", people just want to try different things out of curiosity.
Oh, and also because some dumb Youtuber told them so. Like: "STOP USING APT! IT'S HORRIBLE!!!"
To be fair, 'apt' (the recent-ish script) kind of is questionable at times (bit of a moving target between debian/ubuntu/mint of various releases). But if you're not bouncing all over the place like some of us, it's not *so* bad.
diam0ndkiller
Level 2
Level 2

Post by diam0ndkiller »

I installed zypper on my system for testing. Except for trying it out there is no reason at all for it, especially because without tools like YaST it's horrible to manage. I also think that some openSUSE packages (where zypper is from) won't work on Mint, so that's a problem too.
But I do know that there are some package managers that are essentially wrappers for apt / apt-get. I believe one to be nala, but I've found it more annoying than apt itself.
TL;DR the only reason is for testing or if you want essentially a reskin for apt.
Linux Mint Xfce 21 | CalyxOS 5.4.1 | Raspberry Pi OS 11
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

diam0ndkiller wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:14 pm I installed zypper on my system for testing. Except for trying it out there is no reason at all for it, especially because without tools like YaST it's horrible to manage. I also think that some openSUSE packages (where zypper is from) won't work on Mint, so that's a problem too.
But I do know that there are some package managers that are essentially wrappers for apt / apt-get. I believe one to be nala, but I've found it more annoying than apt itself.
TL;DR the only reason is for testing or if you want essentially a reskin for apt.
I wouldn't use the OpenSUSE package manager in a distro that uses the Debian packaging system in a million years.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

spamegg wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:48 pm ... because some dumb Youtuber told them so. Like: "STOP USING APT! IT'S HORRIBLE!!!"
:lol:

Yeah, you have to be reasonably intelligent to see just how dumb you really are.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

MiZoG wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:31 pm But like it or not, flatpak has gained some traction and Linux Mint is doing the right thing by integrating flatpak especially when Ubuntu's future stance towards debian package manager hangs in the balance.
After 30+ years under the Microsoft regime, I can see similarities between Canonical and early windows. IMO Canonical want's to be the Microsoft of the Linux world. When something screwed up on my 21.1 system, I took advantage of the situation and installed LMDE6. Now no matter what they try to force on their user base I'm not affected. I can say that flatpaks are really slow to install under Debian, but after that the are fine.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Moem wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:29 pm To be honest I've never heard of anyone doing that, but that may be on me.
Neither have I. Maybe some years back, with that APT bug? .. IMHO best to use the one(s) designed for the job.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

OP was a spambot and has been removed.

Return to “Chat about Linux”