Linux Mint 21.3 “Virginia” released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Linux Mint 21.3 “Virginia” released!

Post by AndyMH »

One thing I loathe about the point release upgrades - it insists on resetting the download source to linuxmint.com instead of your nearest/fastest mirror. Yes, I understand why, but still a pain. Second thing - firefox, I don't use it, but keep it "just in case". Downside, the update is taking "forever".

What's happened to this post? Where is the attachments tab so I can show how long it is taking (47minutes).
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Boltzero
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Boltzero »

Thanks for the work put into this distro, it's polished and very fast.
grndplane
Level 4
Level 4
Location: Sunny California - Where everything cost's twice what it should.

Post by grndplane »

Very nice. Thank you Clem, and all your helpers. :D
-grndplane (Mike)
Linux Mint 21.x 64-bit
Kernel: 6.X-liquorix-amd64
WM: LeftWM
APSchmidt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by APSchmidt »

SMG wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:10 am
APSchmidt wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:21 amI installed it yesterday and I have a problem with the panel; it never hides although I set it to "always hide". :(
Please create a new topic for your issue and give the details for your setup in it.
It won't be needed. Apparently it was just a glitch. ;)
APSchmidt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by APSchmidt »

clem wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:27 am https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4624
So, I installed the XFCE version and it works great!
The first thing I noticed (beside my temporary problem with the panel) is that the tearing that was plaguing the previous versions had eventually disappeared! Oh, this is so great! Well done! I didn't install the previous "V" versions, so maybe this is not new but I appreciate it very much, thank you!
I also noticed that installing numlockx was no longer needed. Great! :D
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Post by missmoondog »

just upgraded to 21.3 on 1 machine and as usual everything went perfectly. 5 more machines to upgrade. :)

what an awesome OS

thank you
fatso
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fatso »

AWESOME!
Thank you so much to all of the Mint team for another great release. It's been a few years now since I ditched Windows and fully plunged into Mint, and I have not regretted my decision for a single second. Over the last few days, I have been helping a friend tweak and optimize his Windows PC's, which has been a stark reminder that my switching to Mint wasn't just a good idea...it was freakin' mandatory!
Thanks again, team. You've saved (and continue to save) my sanity. :D
a-bentofreire
Level 2
Level 2

Post by a-bentofreire »

New version looks awesome, however, after upgrading to 21.3, when I closed the lid, it performs the lock screen as before, but no longer requires to insert the password to enter as it required before. If I move the mouse it clears the lock screen.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

a-bentofreire wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:10 am New version looks awesome, however, after upgrading to 21.3, when I closed the lid, it performs the lock screen as before, but no longer requires to insert the password to enter as it required before. If I move the mouse it clears the lock screen.
If you would like help with that issue, please search the forum to see if others have had the issue (I think someone did?) and if not then create a new topic for it. This is an announcement topic so no troubleshooting is done in it.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
revrob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by revrob »

Seamless upgrades on 2 machines.
1. My Zoostorm dual boot Windows7/Linux Mint 21.2 desktop - upgraded via the Update Manager/Edit Menu option - the dual boot grub menu survived intact.
2. My Dell Inspiron laptop - upgraded automatically via Update Manager.

Both upgrades smooth with no user intervention required.
THANKS!!!
RevRob - Linux learner
N2LM21
Level 2
Level 2

Post by N2LM21 »

Hi,

I started with 21.1 Cinnamon, moved to 21.2 and customized the interface a bit (see viewtopic.php?p=2281353#p2281353 or viewtopic.php?t=401653)
If I move to 21.3, would I lose my customizations (desktop settings and so on)?

I do not want to appear impolite, but I have not grasped the advantages of 21.3 vs 21.2, given that I will not use Hypnotix, Wayland, Warpinator ... so I am wondering if I should upgrade.

Thank you for your suggestions
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

N2LM21 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:43 pmI do not want to appear impolite, but I have not grasped the advantages of 21.3 vs 21.2, given that I will not use Hypnotix, Wayland, Warpinator ... so I am wondering if I should upgrade.
All versions of LM21 are supported until April 2027. There is no advantage from a support standpoint to upgrade from LM21.2 to LM21.3. If you are not interested in the new features in LM21.3 then stay with LM21.2.
CloneWerks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by CloneWerks »

Report after a brief use/test period

"Tempest" - (Custom built powerhouse PC): Flawless update. All functions (CAD, Photo Editing, Video Editing, some sound editing, SDR, and all the related hardware, scanners, printers, et-al continue to function without hiccup.

Grinder - reasonably new AMD based Lenovo Thinkcenter used mostly for video transcoding. also flawless.

Zot - older lenovo thinkcenter used primarily to control a laser cutter/engraver. Flawless update but had a little trouble interacting with the laser controller after. A very minor communication setting tweak and everything was fine.

Bench - another old Lenovo thinkcenter, used to watch movies and look up stuff at my workbench in my shop. flawless update, zero issues, WiFi connection is FAR more stable than it used to be.

Gremlin - fairly new HP gaming laptop, doesn't get used for much these days so other than saying the update went smoothly I have no input on this one.

Silverside - Microsoft Surface pro 7 (running surface project). If anything was going to screw up it would have been this... but no issues so far.

Friends and Family... Assorted laptops (HP, Gateway, Acer) Mom's ancient Toshiba refuses to re-connect to WiFi now. Personally I think it's the hardware not anything the Mint update did. she's currently running wired at her desk (LOL).
N2LM21
Level 2
Level 2

Post by N2LM21 »

SMG wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:09 pm All versions of LM21 are supported until April 2027. There is no advantage from a support standpoint to upgrade from LM21.2 to LM21.3. If you are not interested in the new features in LM21.3 then stay with LM21.2.
Thank you @SGM.
That was exactly my point. But I do not know if I am "losing" something "under the hood", if I do not update.
To keep the system up to date, I would update, if I do not need to configure the desktop settings again (which is my only fear)
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

N2LM21 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:33 amThat was exactly my point. But I do not know if I am "losing" something "under the hood", if I do not update.
Do you lose something "under the hood" if you keep your current car instead of buying the newer version of the same model car?
N2LM21 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:33 amTo keep the system up to date, I would update, if I do not need to configure the desktop settings again (which is my only fear)
Moving to LM21.3 is an upGrade and not an upDate. The base version of Cinnamon changes when you move from LM21.2 (Cinnamon 5.8 ) to LM21.3 (Cinnamon 6.0). If you do not want the newer features in Cinnamon 6.0 which are listed in the new features then stay with Cinnamon 5.8.
csandrade87
Level 1
Level 1

Post by csandrade87 »

a-bentofreire wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:10 am New version looks awesome, however, after upgrading to 21.3, when I closed the lid, it performs the lock screen as before, but no longer requires to insert the password to enter as it required before. If I move the mouse it clears the lock screen.
The same here.I realized this today.

[EDIT] I found the option to request a password after locking the screen, in the screen saver options.
N2LM21
Level 2
Level 2

Post by N2LM21 »

SMG wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:56 am
N2LM21 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:33 amThat was exactly my point. But I do not know if I am "losing" something "under the hood", if I do not update.
Do you lose something "under the hood" if you keep your current car instead of buying the newer version of the same model car?
N2LM21 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:33 amTo keep the system up to date, I would update, if I do not need to configure the desktop settings again (which is my only fear)
Moving to LM21.3 is an upGrade and not an upDate. The base version of Cinnamon changes when you move from LM21.2 (Cinnamon 5.8 ) to LM21.3 (Cinnamon 6.0). If you do not want the newer features in Cinnamon 6.0 which are listed in the new features then stay with Cinnamon 5.8.
Fair enough. I will stay with my current 21.2

Thank you @SGM
Kydwyn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kydwyn »

My only issue with installing was Window's 11s insistence on being first on the boot order. Easily solved by bulldozing Windows and re-installing Virginia as the solo OS! Loving it better every minute. :D
SilenceIsG0lden
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SilenceIsG0lden »

N2LM21 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:43 pm If I move to 21.3, would I lose my customizations (desktop settings and so on)?
Yes, but that's true for any update, at any point. You may want to look into Aptik -- also this thread here on the forum.
LM 21.1 cinnamon on PC built by myself in 2008
LM 21.3 cinnamon on Macbook Air
Living in Linux Mint land since 2020, after decades on Microsoft (from DOS to Win7).
N2LM21
Level 2
Level 2

Post by N2LM21 »

Thank you @SilenceIsG0lden

Return to “Releases & Announcements”