Need to restart computer to be able to see Monitor screen

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Swallow
Level 1
Level 1

Need to restart computer to be able to see Monitor screen

Post by Swallow »

Hi everyone.

I have had this issue for a while, I have looked for possible solutions on google but without any luck.

Te "problem" is simple. I have a laptop and when I plug an external monitor is not detected until I restart the laptop which is not ideal. Is anyone familiar with this issue and its possible resolution?

Kind regards.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Need to restart computer to be able to see Monitor screen

Post by SMG »

Swallow wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:08 amTe "problem" is simple. I have a laptop and when I plug an external monitor is not detected until I restart the laptop which is not ideal. Is anyone familiar with this issue and its possible resolution?
Issues like this are hardware dependent and you have not provided any information about your hardware or what version of Linux Mint you are running. Linux-based distros have hot-plug capability so this is an unusual issue.

Please open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click the Copy button in the lower right and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware.

Please also explain if you are using a docking station or directly attaching the monitor to the laptop. Give the make and model of the monitor and explain what type of cable you are using (HDMI-HDMI, DP-HDMI, etc.).
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Hardware Support”