Nemo doesnt allow me write access to files on NFS server

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gflash
Level 2
Level 2

Nemo doesnt allow me write access to files on NFS server

Post by gflash »

Hello,

On a folder shared by an NFS server, all files and folders have permissions looking like this:

Code: Select all

-rwxrwxrwx  1 me users  214339 Jan  3  2019 'Projektplan 1.xlsx'
Basically, instead of having me:me (UID 1000 GID 1000), they get me:users (UID 1000 GID 100). These permissions should not prevent user "me" (GID:1000) from having full access to the files. I was able to prove this by manipulating the files in console as "me" (without sudo) just fine.

However, in Nemo I can only read these files and don't have write access. Is there a reason for that, am I missing a configuration option, or is it a bug?

I am aware that the perfect solution would be to match UID/GIDs between server and client, but that's not possible in my case.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Nemo doesnt allow me write access to files on NFS server

Post by altair4 »

I don't think I can help you since I haven't used NFS in decades but I think what's missing from your post is how you are mounting the NFS "share".

If you are doing it manually post the mount expression you are using.

If you automount post the mount expression you are using in fstab.

EDIT: And just to make sure of this but how exactly are you accessing this resource in Nemo:

Are you pointing nemo to the mount point you created above?

OR by any chance are you using nfs://..... in Nemo's location bar?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Cinnamon”