Donation, PayPal and Virtual Credit Card

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
diyliberty
Level 3
Level 3

Donation, PayPal and Virtual Credit Card

Post by diyliberty »

I just wanted to make a post about this in case anyone else runs into this problem while trying to make a donation.

I use virtual credit cards with all of my online purchases. My credit card issuer allows me to make virtual credit card numbers that are linked to my main card. I have more control over a virtual card such as limiting it to a single purchase, limited time, limited vendors, etc. It is just another way to be safe online.

When I clicked on the credit card donation button, it still takes me to PayPal but uses a credit card transaction rather than logging into PayPal. That kept failing with the following error message. I kept getting that error message even after waiting a couple hours to try again. What I eventually had to do was log into PayPal and link my virtual credit card to my PayPal account and then pay using PayPal.

It is bizarre that PayPal is perfectly happy accepting a virtual card linked to a PayPal account but they keep throwing an error when trying to use one directly.
Katiecole
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Donation, PayPal and Virtual Credit Card

Post by Katiecole »

This is quite interesting, thank you.
faa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by faa »

I found this discussion very interesting and meaningful, thank you.
When I tried to donate to Mint, I found that using a Chinese visa credit card could not express my love for Mint. Sorry, I am from mainland China. As of today, I have not obtained an international credit card.
I would like to express my gratitude to the users who can donate to Mint for their support and help. I hope that Mint will get better and better. I wish you well.
Last edited by faa on Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

this type of issue can occur when the type of card is not recognised by the PayPal system.

it's to do with the first set of numbers, that are on that 16 digit number of the card being used.
this will state the type of card & it's owner & it's issuer

this is also why some institutions don't accept an Debit Card, but will accept an Credit Card.

unfortunately PayPal is rather picky, as to what sort of card that it will accept, when the user is Not logged in,
and will sometimes accept that card, when logged into their system.

it's also rather unfortunate that this is one of the main ways to Donate to our LinuxMint project.
- which is why, some alternatives are now being offered, as well.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

What are those alternatives?
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit+ 10yo Lenovo NAS for backup

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”