How long did it take the Radeon 7000 series to be supported on Linux?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
monon
Level 1
Level 1

How long did it take the Radeon 7000 series to be supported on Linux?

Post by monon »

For the first time in my life I'm looking to build a high end PC and while the current 7900xtx is great, I'd rather have the card that comes out next year which should give that extra boost in performance I'm looking for to make sure I can get full use out of the 4k 240hz OLED monitor i plan on using.

But anyway to get to the point, if I want to sell my 7900xtx again and get the 8900xtx or whatever is released, how long should I be expecting to wait after launch for everything to be completely usable? A few weeks? Months?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How long did it take the Radeon 7000 series to be supported on Linux?

Post by SMG »

monon wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:34 am.. how long should I be expecting to wait after launch for everything to be completely usable? A few weeks? Months?
What doe you mean by "everything"?

Based on what I saw for the 7900 XT, AMD releases the drivers and firmware to the mainline kernels right at/after launch. However, it doesn't mean everything is optimized and debugged at that point. One needed to specifically add the firmware and upgrade to newer kernels to get functionality. (Linux Mint is not a rolling release.) Additionally, newer Mesas (via PPAs) were necessary. Then as people used the drivers/firmware, bugs were discovered and subsequently fixed.

I presume your plans are to connect that monitor using DP to get full functionality. There is no open-source (ie. AMD drivers) support for HDMI 2.1 on Linux-based distros currently to do restrictions from the HDMI Forum.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Hardware Support”