seeking HOWTO clone USER1 desktop for USER2

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SaintDanBert
Level 4
Level 4

seeking HOWTO clone USER1 desktop for USER2

Post by SaintDanBert »

Q1. Which config files etc. do I copy so that USER2 has identical Cinnamon keyboard, icons and other settings?

I have two logins on my laptop. I use one for tech/developer work. I use the other for everything else. I would like to have the same end-user experience for both USER1 and USER2. How do I do that?

Q2. How do I configure a system-wide default end-user experience for all logins on this laptop?

Thank you in Advance,
~~~ 0;-} Dan
Hawaiihemd
Level 4
Level 4

Re: seeking HOWTO clone USER1 desktop for USER2

Post by Hawaiihemd »

Q1
Probably easiest to just copy all contents of user1's home directory into the home directory of user2 and re-set user2 as the owner of that directory recursively, and thus all files within.
I would do that from single user mode /emergency mode.
tonywhelan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tonywhelan »

SaintDanBert wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:44 am Q1. Which config files etc. do I copy so that USER2 has identical Cinnamon keyboard, icons and other settings?

I have two logins on my laptop. I use one for tech/developer work. I use the other for everything else. I would like to have the same end-user experience for both USER1 and USER2. How do I do that?

Q2. How do I configure a system-wide default end-user experience for all logins on this laptop?

Thank you in Advance,
~~~ 0;-} Dan
Perhaps you could clarify what you mean by "a system-wide default end-user experience".
Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon household.
If your issue is solved, please edit your first post in the topic, adding [SOLVED] to the title.
SaintDanBert
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SaintDanBert »

tonywhelan wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:29 pm
SaintDanBert wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:44 am Q2. How do I configure a system-wide default end-user experience for all logins on this laptop?
Perhaps you could clarify what you mean by "a system-wide default end-user experience".
I hope that this clarifies what I am looking for.

Consider that I want to configure 4 identical new, never before created logins. The Cinnamon+Mint user tools do something to create panel, applet, desklet, wallpaper, etc settings for a brand new user. All of that stuff comes from somewhere.
  • Where does that stuff come from within the Linux Mint w/ Cinnamon tools and utilities?
  • What is the preferred way to alter "that stuff" other than tinker until done?
  • Is there a way to say, "Make a new user just like TEMPLATE_USER already created?
Thank you for making me clarify my questions.
~~~ 0;-Dan
Hawaiihemd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hawaiihemd »

I guess one would kind of do what I suggested for Q1 but with the /etc/skel directory. Never tried that though.
Maybe it is a starting point for you:
https://www.thegeekdiary.com/understand ... in-linux/
SaintDanBert
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SaintDanBert »

Hawaiihemd wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:14 am I guess one would kind of do what I suggested for Q1 but with the /etc/skel directory. Never tried that though.
Maybe it is a starting point for you:
https://www.thegeekdiary.com/understand ... in-linux/
Hmmmmm.
My Linux Mint 21.3 has a folder /etc/skel. Sadly, that folder has no content.

Thanks in advance,
~~~ 0;-Dan
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

SaintDanBert wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:42 pm Sadly, that folder has no content.
https://www.linuxhowtos.org/Tips%20and% ... 2Fuseradd.
Never done it myself.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Cinnamon”