Does Linux Mint's search engine partnership ad revenue work on LMDE too?

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nia
Level 1
Level 1

Does Linux Mint's search engine partnership ad revenue work on LMDE too?

Post by Nia »

Hello! I'm not in a position to donate directly to Linux Mint, however as I was looking over the partners page I realized that both Yahoo and DuckDuckGo ad click revenue is shared with Linux Mint. Does this partnership also happen on LMDE, or does the ad click revenue sharing only happen on the main edition? I'm also assuming this sharing only happens when using the Firefox version from Mint's repo.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Does Linux Mint's search engine partnership ad revenue work on LMDE too?

Post by Hoser Rob »

While I can't say for sure, I'd be very surprised if it was any different in LMDE.

If this bothers you why not just use another search engine as default? I wouldn't touch yahoo search anyway and IMO duckduckgo is massively over rated. I use startpage.

I think this anticorporate bias in some Linux users is misguided anyway. All GNU/Linux distros are completely dependent on the kernels from the Linux Kernel Project. This is a separate foundation which gets quite a lot of corporate funding from some of the biggest IT firms. Including Microsoft.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

I only use DuckDuckGo with a few rare exceptions such as where I'm forced to use things like Google for translation.
It works fine and keeps my interactions with the Google information gathering & advertising agency to a minimum.

There some corporations which invite a well deserved anti-corporate bias.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

axisofevil wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:28 pm where I'm forced to use things like Google for translation.
I find the quality of the translations made by DeepL.com vastly superior. Just FYI!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

Thanks!
It looks good.
manyroads
Level 5
Level 5

Post by manyroads »

Moem wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:47 am
axisofevil wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:28 pm where I'm forced to use things like Google for translation.
I find the quality of the translations made by DeepL.com vastly superior. Just FYI!
I absolutely agree that deepl is superior for most Western / Central European languages. I rely on it for correction & assistance in my German, Polish & French language work.
Pax vobiscum,
...mark
SwayWM, i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm
Professional Genealogist & Technologist
(http://eirenicon.org & http://many-roads.com)
Nia
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nia »

Hoser Rob wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:34 pm If this bothers you why not just use another search engine as default? I wouldn't touch yahoo search anyway and IMO duckduckgo is massively over rated. I use startpage.

I think this anticorporate bias in some Linux users is misguided anyway. All GNU/Linux distros are completely dependent on the kernels from the Linux Kernel Project. This is a separate foundation which gets quite a lot of corporate funding from some of the biggest IT firms. Including Microsoft.
I agree, I had actually disabled my adblocker on those search engines and was wanting to make sure that Linux Mint was getting funding from me using them on LMDE as a way to support them.
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

I do use a non-Google, non-Microsoft search engine.

Why not just make a donation (in cash) to the Linux Kernel Project and/or to Mint/LMDE?

Keep your ad blocking and anti-tracking software running - you can always selectively allow web sites you approve of to place moderate advertising on their sites, provided they don't abuse the privilege of course!

I usually allow sites to have advertising access if they are the good guys - but unfortunately the anti-tracking feature of DuckDuckGo was forced to block a Google tracker (not an advert) on forums.linuxmint.com

Screenshot from 2024-03-18 15-06-09.png
Screenshot from 2024-03-18 15-06-09.png (24.65 KiB) Viewed 148 times

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”