LMDE 6 - turn off laptop screen

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dactylion25
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE 6 - turn off laptop screen

Post by dactylion25 »

I have a laptop with a very small screen, so I need to connect it to a monitor in order to use it. I don't use the laptop screen most of the time.

With Windows 11, I can set it up so that the laptop screen automatically turns off when it is connected to the monitor. I can't figure out how to do this in LMDE 6. Is there a way to do this for LMDE?

Thanks.
Last edited by SMG on Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved topic to LMDE forum.
max_sz
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE 6 - turn off laptop screen

Post by max_sz »

By default Mint is set to suspend the laptop whenever you close the lid, however you can change this behavior on the Control Center.

Go to Control Center -> Hardware -> Energy (my system is in Portuguese and I do not remember exactly what the actual naming in English is like, but is something among these lines)

There you can set what the system will do when the lid is closed when running in battery and connected to A/C (do Nothing, Suspend, Hibernate, etc.)
gychang
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gychang »

if u want to leave the lid open, you can do this with xrandr command or arandr (may have to install first). Take a look here: https://xorg-team.pages.debian.net/xorg ... randr.html
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Post by vimes666 »

execute this command in a terminal:

Code: Select all

cinnamon-settings display
In the tab layout click on the visual representation of your external monitor, then set it to primary.
Then click on the internal display representation and set it to off.
That should do it. Somewhere during the boot it will switch to the external monitor.

Return to “Beginner Questions”