LMDE 6 Senpai's Respin with only the Mate Desktop

Write tutorials for LMDE here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post please read forum rules
Senpai
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE 6 Senpai's Respin with only the Mate Desktop

Post by Senpai »

Hi:
I have created a personal Respin with the final version of Linux Mint LMDE 6 in its 32-bit and 64-bit variants, but with the "only" Mate option installed as I consider it a pity that the great Mate that Mint has is not in the Debian-derived option.
I have made other respin with Mate from MX-Linux but unfortunately the great MX-Linux respin tool "MX-Snapshot" and its Antix version "iso-Snapshot" do not work in other distributions...

In the end I found Penguins' eggs, a great option to make our own respin, which includes the Calamares installer to make a very easy installation of the ISOs that are created and has version for 32 bits.

WARNING:
The ISO image I have tested to copy it to USBs and run it, it works with Ventoy, Mint's USB Image Recorder, MX-Linux's "dd mode", with BalenaEcher, in other programs it is not tested but it may work.

It has the user "demo" and the password "mintlmde", when we install it Calamares already offers us to create another user, localization, language, etc, as in any other installation.

If you want to know how I have done it to do it yourself you can see the article on my website: https://sourceforge.net/p/mx-linux-senp ... ktop-mate/

Best regards

Tema en español viewtopic.php?p=2379971#p2379971
Last edited by karlchen on Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed the link to the download location.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: LMDE 6 Senpai's Respin with only the Mate Desktop

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Senpai.

On Sourceforge you explain how you have created your LMDE 6 Mate respin from the official LMDE 6 Cinnamon:
Senpai's Respin of Linux Mint LMDE 6 with only Desktop Mate (English / Spanish)

To me your steps suggest that you have not followed any of the debranding steps, laid out by xenopeek in the post:
Re: Forking a new OS from Linux Mint

As a result you, Senpai, offer for downloading and installation modified LMDE 6 ISO images (32-bit, 64-bit), which still hold all the Linux Mint brandings, which LMDE 6 Cinnamon legally brings along, but without Cinnamon and without some of the Mint typical common utilities. Instead who downloads and installs the respins will get a non-Mint Mate desktop.

Telling from xenopeek's post, Re: Forking a new OS from Linux Mint, you must not offer such a respin for downloading to the public. You are free, however, to use it for personal use and to tell people in detail how to create such respins.

But basically only Clem's Linux Mint developer team are legally entitled to publish LMDE ISO images, which are named LMDE and which hold the official Linux Mint branding in several places.
If you create a respin and make it available to the public, then you have to remove any Linux Mint branding from your ISO image and you cannot name it LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition).

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Senpai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Senpai »

Hi:
Thanks for the clarifications I was absolutely unaware of.
As I have been doing several respin of MX Linux for years, naming them to just "MX Respin...." according to the proposal of MX-Linux developers themselves, I thought that with Mint it was enough not to put "Linux Mint LMDE" which is the full name, to make reference and link that it was created thanks to Mint, but I see that it is not. :cry:

Also say that even the developer of Penguins' Eggs https://penguins-eggs.net/, updated the 32-bit version of his program at my request, as it was old and did not support the current version of Mint, so I thought there would be no problems being a "personal Respin", which does not want to be something else ....

Well there is no problem to change the name, with the name I just wanted to define that it is a LMDE with Cinnamon to which I have installed Mate from the Mint/Debian repos and removed Cinnamon, and in the tutorial I put how I did it and I did not add any changes to the programs, just thinking about respecting everything from Mint... :?

Regarding the other steps you indicate in the post "Forking a new OS from Linux Mint" viewtopic.php?p=1442308#p1442308, I do not know ... nothing further from my intention than to create problems to/with Mint, I am not a developer, nor programmer, nor do I intend to create another derivative distribution, I do not even have enough knowledge of English to write this post directly..., nor do I have knowledge to change/create my own themes, icons, or wallpapers....

I'm just a basic and restless Linux user very much in love with Mate who doesn't understand why they stopped releasing a Mate version in LMDE as they did in the first versions... :D

When I did my first MX respin with "only" Fluxbox the developers liked it and subsequently created an official version, could that be possible with LMDE Mate? Please... :arrow: :)

I'm not sure I quite understand the consequences of this, do I have to delete the ISOs from Sourceforge, do I just have to rename them? It was not my intention to "publish" a new distro, you can delete the forum posts if necessary....
Anyway, I didn't suppose that a hobby would cause me problems.

Regards

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Hi, yes please delete the ISO.

It's fine to have the tutorial for how to replace Cinnamon on LMDE 6 with another desktop environment.
Senpai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Senpai »

Hi:
Thank you, I have already removed the ISOs from the public download.
Best regards
Senpai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Senpai »

Hi:
As I might also delete from my blog the tutorial of how I made my LMDE respin with "only" Mate, I put it here so that it can be useful to more people.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a summary of how I made my personal Respin with the final version of Linux Mint LMDE 6 in its variants of 32 and 64 bits, but with the option of "only" Mate installed because I think it is a pity that the great Mate that Mint has is not in the Debian-derived option.

In the end I found Penguins' eggs https://penguins-eggs.net/, a great option to create ISOs of our own respin, which includes the Calamares installer to make a very easy installation of the ISOs that are created and has version for 32 bits.

WARNING:
The ISO image I have tested to copy it to USBs and run it, it works with Ventoy, Mint's USB Image Recorder, MX-Linux's "dd mode", with BalenaEcher, in other programs it is not tested but it may work.

Once installed the version with Cinnamon, we can install Mate from the Software store or from Synaptic, but that installs us a very basic Mate, if you want to install a complete Mate at once you can do it with this command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install mate-core mate-desktop-environment mate-desktop-environment-extras mate-applet-appmenu mate-applet-brisk-menu mate-applets mate-backgrounds mate-calc mate-dock-applet mate-hud mate-indicator-applet mate-media mate-menu mate-notification-daemon mate-polkit-bin mate-power-manager mate-sensors-applet mate-sensors-applet-nvidia mate-system-monitor mate-tweak mate-utils mate-window-buttons-applet mate-window-menu-applet mate-window-title-applet materia-gtk-theme mozo pluma pluma-doc eom engrampa atril caja-actions caja-admin caja-gtkhash caja-image-converter caja-open-terminal caja-rename caja-seahorse caja-sendto caja-share caja-wallpaper caja-xattr-tags python3-caja gir1.2-caja-2.0 caja-mediainfo caja-eiciel brasero ffmpegthumbnailer libgdk-pixbuf2.0-bin gstreamer1.0-tools gir1.2-matekbd-1.0 libcanberra-gtk-module libcanberra-gtk0 libcanberra-gtk3-module qt5ct mate-screensaver mate-user-guide gnome-disk-utility apt-xapian-index
Once everything is installed we reboot and in the login we choose the option with Mate, already in Mate we can uninstall everything from Cinnamon and several programs that are duplicated, since Mate has its own, with this command:

sudo apt remove --purge cinnamon* nemo* gnome-calculator* file-roller* xed* gnome-system-monitor* xreader* pix* gnome-font-viewer* baobab cjs gir1.2-cmenu-3.0 gir1.2-cvc-1.0 gir1.2-nemo-3.0 libcinnamon-control-center1 libcinnamon-menu-3-0 libcjs0 libcjs-dbg libcscreensaver0 libcvc-dbg libcvc0 libnemo-extension1 muffin-common policykit-1-gnome nautilus-data libnautilus-extension4
Once finished we can reboot and check that everything works and configure Mate to our liking....

Clean up Cinnamon leftovers and uninstalled programs:
Xviewer folders are in: /usr/lib/
Xed folders are located in: /usr/lib/x8664-linux-gnu/
Cinnamon folders are in: /usr/share/, /home/your-user/.cache/, /home/your-user/.config, /home/your-user/.local/state, /home/your-user/.local/share,
Nemo folders are in: /usr/share/, /home/user/.config, /home/user/.local/share.
There is also a file called "Autorum Prompt" in /usr/share/app-install/desktop that is from Nemo, look at the properties to differentiate it from another one from Caja.
Regarding the Cinnamon Themes, I have left them as they work for Mate as they are GTK, they are nice and only take up about 35MB.

Reference links:
Penguins' eggs web page: https://penguins-eggs.net/
Spanish forum topic: viewtopic.php?t=405083

Best regards

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Why not,
Instead of your first "very long" command, why not use the much simpler;

apt install mint-meta-mate
EDIT My bad, that worked in LMDE 5, now you need instead,

apt install mate-desktop-environment
Most of the other stuff is included in that meta package.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
Senpai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Senpai »

rickNS wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:45 pm Why not,
Instead of your first "very long" command, why not use the much simpler;

apt install mint-meta-mate
EDIT My bad, that worked in LMDE 5, now you need instead,

apt install mate-desktop-environment
Most of the other stuff is included in that meta package.
Hi:
Possibly you are right, in the next update of LMDE 6.x, I will revise the command so that it installs the same indicating less packages...
By the way... When will LMDE 6.0 be updated? Is there an approximate date?

Best regards
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Senpai wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:27 pmBy the way... When will LMDE 6.0 be updated? Is there an approximate date?
There is one version of the LMDE 6 ISO. The ISO will never be updated.

Updates for LMDE 6 (including updates for the Cinnamon desktop) come through Update Manager as they are released. That has already been happening.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Tutorials”