Farewell my best buddy

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Farewell my best buddy

Post by MurphCID »

Today at 0830 my best buddy, Luna had to take the final ride to the vet. We got her at five weeks, and she passed to the Rainbow Bridge just 4 days shy of her 16th birthday. They gave her the first shot to knock her out, and she started snoring which was something she did that we all loved.  We then held her paw as they gave her the last drug, and she went away.  A Golden Retriever mix, she could shed like nobodies business, leaving "floof tumbleweeds" all over the house. She was the finest dog I have ever had, she would come and follow me around the house, and when my daughter was hurt so badly in the accident, she never left her side except to go outside and to get some food. Loving, she would bark loudly at strangers, but was not much of a guard dog for all that. The kids and the wife are still crying, I just made a slide show for them to watch of the dog. Luna was one of those dogs that she loved a good car ride as long as it did not end up at the groomers since she thought that the B.A.T.H. was going to try and steal her soul. She was the easiest dog to housebreak I have ever had in all my years. Goodbye my snuggle buddy, my constant companion, my good dog. Wait at the Rainbow Bridge, I'll see you there.
Attachments
Luna-puppy-1.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Coggy
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Farewell my best buddy

Post by Coggy »

I'm sorry to hear that. You have my sympathies.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:24 am I just made a slide show for them to watch of the dog.
When we lost our lab, Billy, I gave my other half one of those picture frames that takes multiple photos, all of Billy. Still hanging on the wall. Bertie, another lab, is now coming up five years old. We got him about six months after we lost Billy. I know how you feel. Note, I did not choose the names, and with a dog called Bertie, the cat is Jeeves.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

How appropriate Bertie and Jeeves. My oldest came over last night and just spent the night holding and cuddling her buddy dog. It was rough.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

When we had Billy put to sleep, the vet (plus nurse) came to us, it was so much less stressful for him. Don't know if that is an option for you where you are.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Oldun
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Oldun »

Murph,
So sorry to hear about Luna.
We lost our best friend Meg some time ago and vowed never to get another, just toooo painful to say goodbye.
Of Course, 3 months later we got Patch!
Lenovo T480s i5 Mint Cinnamon Mint 21.2 Victoria
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Losing your beloved pet is always really hard. My complete sympathy for your loss. I know how it is.

When I was little my Dad brought home a dog from the pound. We named her Lucy. She was a mutt - part German Shepard part corgi. She was really smart. I used to get her over to the kitchen counter so I could stand on her and reach the cookie jar :) . I paid her 1 cookie for the help. Also, No one could touch us kids while lucy was around.

Best advice I think is to get a puppy pretty quick as a replacement for the kids sake. Have a talk with them about life and death too.

So sorry,
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

The house was so quiet last night, I kept waking up thinking she needed to go outside, and there was no one there but my wife and I. This dog was just the very best dog we have ever had, and we have had some really good dogs, all rescues. Luna was something special, I would get taken to task by the wife by slipping her treats or something from the table. The vet had a jar of Hershey's kisses with the words' NO dog should go to heaven without trying some chocolate." She was too far gone to even try it. I kept hoping for that miracle, but she was almost 16. Darn, I miss that dog.
Attachments
Luna-1.jpg
Last edited by MurphCID on Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

AndyMH wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:23 pm When we had Billy put to sleep, the vet (plus nurse) came to us, it was so much less stressful for him. Don't know if that is an option for you where you are.
Not really, but we took her and gave her lots of pets and cuddles till the very very end.
BwingBob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BwingBob »

Murph,

So sorry for your lose.

Bob
Pop_OS! 22.04 {Dell Inspiron 15 5510}
Linux Mint Cinnamon 21 {Minisforum UM700}
Pop_OS! Thelio Mira ;-)
We have met the enemy and he is us. - Pogo
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

so sorry for you loss Murph, but as we all know, it will happen to us many times through our own lives.

we try to find a 'new dog' before the old one has to leave us....
we have 3 now, the 3rd one "found us" at a mechanic's shop over in Mississippi while our truck was being fixed.....

the mechanics begged us to take the puppy, because they had Antifreeze laying under vehicles, and that will kill anyone, or anything that drinks it....

we already had two dogs, we were walking them on leashes, and the new puppy walked up to my daughter and stood between her legs, shivering......

we called that dog "Tagalong" because it followed us everywhere, and still does, it must find my daughter immediately when she returns home, or has been outside.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
diyliberty
Level 3
Level 3

Post by diyliberty »

I am sorry for your loss. It is hard losing pets because they give you unconditional love. I have lost a few pets and it never gets easy. I am comforted by the belief that I will see them again when it is my turn to move on to the next world.
rumpus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rumpus »

Murph our best buddies are never truly gone. They live on in our memories and hearts,
I wish I could have played with your doggie. She looks like she would be a lot of fun.

r
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

rumpus wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:11 am Murph our best buddies are never truly gone. They live on in our memories and hearts,
I wish I could have played with your doggie. She looks like she would be a lot of fun.

r
She was a lot of fun, even when she got old, she just wanted a nice snuggle, and some chicken strips and life was good.
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DisturbedDragon »

I'm sorry to hear about Luna. The loss of a dear friend and family member is difficult to say the least. I lost my goodest girl of 17 years, Ruby (Lemon Basset), about a year and a half ago and it damn near killed me. Freaked my kids out to see me sob like an infant when we had to say goodbye. "Dad never cries", they exclaimed to each other. I was in a bad way when my wife practically forced me to get another dog. I didn't want to. There was no replacing Ruby. She was with me always, for and through everything. We played and swam and ran and slept. She stayed by my side every moment through the six months of chemo when I could barely move. I have my pictures, videos, mementos and memories of Ruby. She will always be fondly remembered. I finally agreed that while Ruby could not be replaced, there was a hole left in our home and hearts. We now have, since she was six weeks old, Tilly (Basset Bleu de Gascogne) and I love her to death.
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Yeah, I was pretty wrecked there and had to walk outside to shed some tears since I did not want to do it in front of the family. I try hard to maintain the whole "stiff upper lip" thing as much as possible. I keep hearing her at night walking around, or so it seems.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well my buddy girl is home, the vet called and she was ready for pickup. They put her cremains in a very nice ash wood box, with two plaster of paris paw prints as well as a packet of Forget Me Not seeds. Darn I miss that dog!

Return to “Open Chat”