New

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Terminator
Level 1
Level 1

New

Post by Terminator »

Just in the first throws of installing Mint XFCE it's taking ages on a Xenta AMD A6-9500E 8GB 240GB Desktop PC so far it's being installing for over 2 and a half hours, it didn't take that long to upgrade a windows 7 PC to windows 10.
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Re: New

Post by Dan-cer »

Welcome to this forum! Normally a Linux Mint installation - depending on the computer - takes significantly less than half an hour. Did you install LM fresh or did you upgrade?
How you get better results when searching for yourself.
NM64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by NM64 »

Did you make sure to unplug all external and/or USB disks when installing the OS? (and, if installing from a USB disk, then obviously keep that one specific USB disk plugged in)

I made that mistake once and was wondering why the heck it was taking so long—turned out Mint is able to put the actual OS installation onto USB disks, being able to boot from it and everything! (it was a measly USB 2.0 drive in my situation :lol: )

Alternatively, are you installing from a DVD? I remember back in the day before I started using USB disks (ideally via Ventoy) or even secondary SATA disks that I would always try to avoid making new OS installations because they'd take like an hour from a DVD or the like.

And before anyone mentions the slowness of that CPU, it's still comparable to the Core 2 and Phenom II era of CPUs which alone will not cause Mint to take anywhere near an hour due to CPU performance alone (my current "workstation PC" is a Phenom II since I like integrated graphics + ECC RAM and getting anything tangibly faster while still being iGP+ECC either requires a new AMD CPU+mobo+RAM or an Intel CPU+workstation mobo that would cost the same as the AMD option anyway)
CPU: Xeon E3-1246 v3 (4c/8t Haswell/Intel 4th gen) — core & cache @ 3.9GHz via multicore enhancement
GPU: Intel integrated HD Graphics P4600
RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengence @ DDR3-1600
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello Terminator,
Welcome to the Linux Mint Forum, enjoy the journey!
If it's taking that long something is amiss- How did you download and burn the Iso? which app did you use to burn it?
If it was rufus I would reburn it with Etcher found here Ruffus has been know to cause problems.
It take my machine (old thinkpad only about 10 Minutes to do the install)

https://etcher.balena.io
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forums.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “Introduce Yourself”