Failed to Load: AMD Firmware

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pelican
Level 1
Level 1

Failed to Load: AMD Firmware

Post by pelican »

Hello everyone, I'm new here (and to Linux) so please excuse my ignorance. I just installed LMDE 6 to my new Framework 13 (AMD) and during boot I get error messages about firmware. When I run dmesg, it shows the errors,

firmware: failed to load amdgpu/gc_11_0_1_mes2.bin (-2)
see https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware for information about missing firmware
firmware: failed to load amdgpu/gc_11_0_1_mes2.bin (-2)

Direct firmware load for amdgpu/gc_11_0_1_mes_2.bin failed with error -2

(I hope I formatted this correctly)

I am on kernel 6.1.0-17-amd64 with AMD Ryzen 7 7840U w/ Radeon 780M Graphics

I have (according to software manager)

Code: Select all

firmware-amd-graphics
I tried to research this issue and can't seem to find much. The missing firmware is listed on the git.kernel. I am assuming it just hasn't made it's way to me yet?

If anyone could shed some light on this and what I should do, it would be much appreciated. Thanks
Last edited by SMG on Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to appropriate LMDE forum.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Failed to Load: AMD Firmware

Post by SMG »

pelican wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:38 pm Hello everyone, I'm new here (and to Linux) so please excuse my ignorance. I just installed LMDE 6 to my new Framework 13 (AMD) and during boot I get error messages about firmware.
Welcome to the forum, pelican.

Please open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click the Copy button in the lower right and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware.

What problems are you having with graphics?
Considering how new your hardware is, you likely need to be backporting a newer kernel to your install.

Code: Select all

sudo apt install -t bookworm-backports linux-image-amd64
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
jwiz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jwiz »

Download the latest linux firmware from https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke ... rmware.git
Extract the 'amdgpu' folder and copy it to /lib/firmware (i.e. /usr/lib/firmware on usrmerge).
Backup of the existing 'amdgpu' folder recommended.
These are non-arch binary blobs, no need to worry about distro-packaging.

Do a 'sudo update-initramfs -u -kall' and reboot your system.
If the error still persists, then your kernel is most probably too old to support them.
pelican
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pelican »

Thanks for the replies. I did some more digging and found this (ironically on the FW forum)
https://community.frame.work/t/resolved ... d/39446/11. I think @jwiz has the right idea. From what I can tell, the firmware-amd-graphics package is significantly out of date and the version that is available has a bugged snapshot. The missing firmware is on the git, so you could probably just get that or just get an updated snapshot as a whole. I decided to switch over to Mint edge, I think I bit off a little more then I could chew with the DE. Thanks for the help anyway, maybe someone else can benefit from this.
pelican
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pelican »

Follow Up-

I just reinstalled Mint Edge and the missing firmware error is gone. They must have included it in a update since my last post. Issue is solved.

Return to “Hardware Support”