Edge Browser Stealing Chrome's Data

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
diyliberty
Level 3
Level 3

Edge Browser Stealing Chrome's Data

Post by diyliberty »

This story caught my attention. It has me laughing out loud. After a Windows update people are finding that not only is Edge their default browser but it also opens with all of the tabs opened from their last session in Chrome. Edge is hijacking Chrome.

https://www.theverge.com/24054329/micro ... ta-feature

I don't use Edge or the Chrome browsers. They are just MS and Google spyware IMO.
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
des000
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Edge Browser Stealing Chrome's Data

Post by des000 »

Glad that I don't use Windows 10 a lot right now! LOL!
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

The Author of the article says....
I’m not entirely sure how Microsoft Edge automatically opened and imported my Chrome browser data without this setting enabled.
That's easy to answer. All those MS sliders are just window dressing. If you really want to disable their spyware and data collection, you have to remove the .exe that controls updates, and then remove the .exe's responsible for running what you don't want. I am so thankful I am no longer in the MS relationship. It had become so toxic.
I’ve asked Microsoft for comment on what I witnessed, but the company has not responded in time for publication.
I hope he's not holding his breath. He'll end up looking like a smurf before they respond.

With the reports I have seen there is no way I'd invite edge onto my system. It seems to be engineered as another collection tool for microsoft. I had thought about setting up a Linkedin profile for my writing until I learned LinkedIn was owned by Microsoft. Not falling into that data collection trap.

reading the comments on that article are pure joy.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

It's Baloney Sausage like this that reminds me why I'm so glad to have given Microsoft the bird! My home, my life, and my computers are completely Microsoft free!
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Zapruder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zapruder »

use linux.
plz don't use chrome or edge. Switch to brave or firefox.
use a vpn, use encripted dns. and you live better.
LMdE+liquorix kernel
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

the first thing I used to do with the Windows world, is to install RevoUninstaller.
with that, all of the malicious EXE files disappeared along with their insidious Registery links, that MS so carefully avoids removing when you "uninstall an EXE"
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Haha. Well, at least Edge doesn't do that with Chrome on my Linux boxes (I have installed both, for specific purposes). :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Open Chat”