ham radio support

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
citfta
Level 2
Level 2

Re: ham radio support

Post by citfta »

Apparently Snap store has not been activated on your machine. You can follow this link for how to do that and then install Chirp. Let me know if it then works for you. I can now read .img files since I reverted to LM20.3 but I still can't communicate with my radio. So not working completely yet. According to your info you are running LM21.2

https://snapcraft.io/install/chirp-snap/ubuntu
citfta
Level 2
Level 2

Post by citfta »

I finally got Chirp working again and able to download and upload to my radio. I had to install the Legacy Flatpak version of Chirp. That let me then upload the .img files I had previously saved. And also let me download the .img files that were already on my radio. So all seems to be working now. I guess I will stay with LM20.3 for a while until they get some more bugs worked out on LM21.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

citfta wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:41 pm Apparently Snap store has not been activated on your machine.
Snaps are disabled by default on Linux Mint. Here is the information on Snap Store with directions for enabling it at the end of the page. The instructions are different from the ones on the Ubuntu link you provided.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
saikonobiwa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by saikonobiwa »

OK, I have activated the snap, installed CHIRP from the snap store, no change at all. Still unable to open a .img file.....
a_hippie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by a_hippie »

Regarding chirp

I'm running mint 21.2 here. I just snagged the stable release (debain) of chirp:
http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/ma ... -1_all.deb

I ran the command to see if it would install:

sudo apt install /home/jaye/chirp_20221106+py3-1_all.deb -s

No errors. I think this is a much easier way to install chirp than snap/flat.

Lastly, as user are you in the "dialout" group? Just open a terminal and type "groups" to list which groups you are added to.

TU & 73
Jaye
--
Wishing you well
saikonobiwa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by saikonobiwa »

About groups, here is what I get:
myname adm cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare
I'm pretty ignorant on Linux, sorry.
Should I uninstall CHIRP and follow the procedure you have suggested to install it again?
Please, note: I do not get an error message; I try to open the .img file but nothing happens. No error message, nothing shows up.
a_hippie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by a_hippie »

I'll leave the install/uninstall up to you. But to be able to use serial ports you will need to add your
user to dialout: sudo adduser username dialout

After a reboot, you will have access to serial ports and be able to read/write to your radios.

I really wish mint would do this by default and save a lot of new linux hams a bunch of hair pulling!

I'm not a chirp user. I only installed it to test a cheap radio I won at raffle just to see how it worked. I've
since given the radio away and I don't use software to program my radios as a rule. If I can't program it,
then it's useless to me in an emergency. I live in the heart of earthquake county and emergencies arise
often. However, I do like helping hams get their softwre/hardware up and running!

GL over there, 73
Jaye ke6sls
--
Wishing you well
saikonobiwa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by saikonobiwa »

User added to group. No change. I'll try to uninstall and reinstall CHIRP as you suggested, then I'll give up. I do not see the point of spending so many hours to try doing what I do under Windows in a couple of clicks. I know, this will sound a heresy here, but the end user chooses what is more efficient. Even with the best good will, I cannot get a standard software to read a standard file!
SilverPine
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SilverPine »

Hi Gang...

KB6LWN here...
I've been using LM for about 4 years now, for ham related,
so perhaps I will have some answers to some questions.
Been using Linux since Slackware v3.2...

Trying to install v2.6.1 of WSJT on uma (v20.3)
WSJT wants v1.74 of 'libboost' tools to execute.
Uma has libboost v1.71 installed, and WSJT complains:
"Unable to locate package libboost-log-dev_1.74.0.3"
when executed...

I'm finding there are a number of dep's needed to install the
library WS wants, and one of them deals with the file system,
so I'm a bit nervous about doing the dep' shuffle when it comes
to maybe crashing my fs...

Still to try a WSJT 2.6.1 compile from source, as last resort.

Any constructive thoughts ?
Hope you find a solution Hippie...
Going to try for some WS digital on 10m, if I get this solved.

73 fm cm88qw

PS: Good on QRZ
Last edited by xenopeek on Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited for forum rules
a_hippie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by a_hippie »

Hello ?

Mint 20x is really dated now. Heck, 21.2 is really dated already. For me, I went through the process of incremental OS update with the mint update tool. I did a complete backup of files before I began the quest. I am using an antique thinkpad (x61) and really, the updates didn't take that long. Once I had the 21.2 running, I went through a number of ham program installs, fldigi & fldigi suite being the most important. The hickup I ran into was with hamlibs -- So I actually built hamlibs for amd64 and would be happy to send them to you.

Anyway, once 21.2 is up and running, you should be able to snag the deb file from wsjt-x site and your system shouldn't be grumpy.

Trying to bump lib versions alwasy ended poorly for me.

GL & 73
Jaye ke6sls
--
Wishing you well
kb3mkd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kb3mkd »

KB3MKD here, I use mint and do digital modes. I have also been using Linux for 20+ years and Mint for several. Tag me if you want.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

any Radio and Rotor control software is always sort after, in the Linux World.
and IZ8EWD seems to have written something for those two areas.
Update:
Ubuntu version is now available for download, the deployment includes all the required libraries.
8)
from the Ham Forum, that was mentioned, way back at the start of this Topic.
:arrow:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Software & Applications”