[SOLVED] Encryption

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

[SOLVED] Encryption

Post by Peter Linu »

Hiyall,
I'm just dipping my toe in the encryption waters.
I understand that E2EE is the best format. Has anyone got an opinion as to which software to use?
Last edited by Peter Linu on Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit+ 10yo Lenovo NAS for backup
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Encryption

Post by TaterChip »

I use VeraCrypt for my encryption needs
Boca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Boca »

TaterChip wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:09 pm I use VeraCrypt for my encryption needs
.. and me!!
Was a TrueCrypt user before that.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

Please note that Peter Linu is talking about E2EE encryption which implicates communication between two parties but VeraCrypt is anything but that )
-=t42=-
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

t42,
Thanks for the clarification.
I therefore want to be able to do two things;
1. Encrypt data in at least one of my drives
2. Be able to send parts of said data via either email or services like WeTransfer.

Where should I go to read up?
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit+ 10yo Lenovo NAS for backup
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

1. As suggested above, you may place your data in the VeraCrypt container of necessary size.
VeraCrypt - Beginner Tutorial
2. To send encrypted files you should place said encrypted files on the cloud storage service, such as Mega.nz and send the link to the recipient. For file encryption you can use password protected zip or 7z archive or file encrypted with GPG

Code: Select all

gpg -c file_name
-=t42=-
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

t42,
thanks for that. Highly instructive. I will play with this on a different laptop until I get familiar with it.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Peter Linu wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:32 am t42,
Thanks for the clarification.
I therefore want to be able to do two things;
1. Encrypt data in at least one of my drives
Hi,
Use Veracrypt to create an encrypted container on your drive
2. Be able to send parts of said data via either email or services like WeTransfer.

Where should I go to read up?
Use OpenPGP, the best is to download https://download.gnupg.com/files/gnupg/ ... 4.AppImage.
Then, create your pair of public and private key.
Ask people you want to send encrypted files to do the same, and to send you their public keys.
Encrypt files for you and for the recipients, using their public keys.
Now you can send encrypted files using We Transfer.

With this way, you don't have to communicate any encryption password to the recipients.

More? Read my Guide, viewtopic.php?t=397740, "Annex 4: Encryption".

Regards,

MN
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

MN,
I read your document, all except the addendum. Phew!
I am currently using Timeshift, BackInTime, Aptik and Foxclone on a HDD sitting in a dock near the computer. The dock is turned off until I do my weekly backup.
I am a home user. The complexity of your various solutions is way beyond my ability. I MIGHT copy my /home folder onto a separate Veracrypt folder however I can't see myself needing more than that.

Thank you for the explanation.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Re: [SOLVED] Encryption

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

Encrypting some data on your disk and fully encrypting your home is not the same thing!
In the first case, you can use Veracrypt.
In the second case, it is a choice to be done at installation, though it seems better to encrypt your whole disk than your home only.
If you have installed your computer, it is too late, and your only solution is to create a veracrypt container, then move to it your most sensitive data.

Using encrypted zips to send files with We Transfer has two inconveniences:
- zip encryption is not standardised and there are risks that people not using the same program as you might not be able to unencrypt the zipped file,
- you need to transfer to your recipient the zip password; you cannot use We Transfer for this, and the use of mail / sms / phone call is not secure.

OpenPGP is a standard, and the use of public/private key pairs avoid sending any password.

Sorry if this seems complex, but encryption is a complex thing!

Regards,

MN

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”