How to correct my conky install [SOLVED]

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

How to correct my conky install [SOLVED]

Post by Logansfury »

Hello everyone,

When I was introduced to conky it was on the Reddit Linux Mint where a saw a minimalis for the first time. That user referred me to Conky Manager 2 and I was directed to this page:

https://github.com/zcot/conky-manager2

Here I was directed to install CM2:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:teejee2008/foss
sudo apt update
sudo apt install conky-manager2
I am now attempting to use one of Bleys' beautiful calendar .lua scripts. The files that work on his system do not work on mine, even after putting in my own longitude, latitude and api key data, all I get is a blank background and no weather info or images that the script is supposed to display.

One of the last things Bleys said to me when I questioned if I could be missing dependencies was:

"no.. the cairo and imlib libraries should be installed if conky-all is installed"

So here is the thing...I did NOT install conky-all but conky-manager2.

How do I get all the features of conky-all? If I use a

sudo apt install conky-all
will that break my existing working conky manager 2?

Im afraid to execute a sudo command that could set me back and damage my setup. Can anyone please advise?

Thank you for reading,

Logan
Last edited by Logansfury on Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image <-- Cick for sudo inxi --usb -Fxxxnmprz output, updated hourly!
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Re: How to correct my conky install

Post by zcot »

conky and conky-manager(2) are not related in packaging.

You can remove conky-manager2 and still get everything of anything we are seeing in these posts. (as long as some conky package is installed, most likely conky-all)

There are not cross dependencies between them, well other than if you want to use conky-manager2 it would be pointless if you have not installed some conky package, because then you will not be able to use conky, thus conky-manager is irrelevant.

If you search: apt search conky, you will see a few packages. The one named only conky you can see is a virtual package and just the way to get a basic setup without having to know the package name is actually conky-std (which would mean apt install conky-std).

What you really want, in your specific case, since you are definitely going to use the advanced dependency lib features, is the package conky-all.

conky-cli is just the conky setup but where the conky output only goes to a terminal based situation. you will not be using graphics here and the mass of features that you are aware of.

conky-std is just that same conky except instead of output going to terminal it will go to the desktop screen. You will not get advanced 3rd party support libs packaged into the install. No cairo, imlib, xft fonts, and like 30 other specific support things or so.

conky-all will have all the internal api bindings to be able to use the many 3rd party support libs. That's the one you want, and that's all you do, you don't go digging through other system packages and installing other stuff, it's all included.

Check the output from your search above, you should see where it looks like that:

p   conky                                                   - highly configurable system monitor (transitional package)         
i   conky-all                                               - highly configurable system monitor (all features enabled)         
p   conky-all-dbg                                           - highly configurable system monitor (all features enabled - debug) 
p   conky-cli                                               - highly configurable system monitor (basic version)                
p   conky-cli-dbg                                           - highly configurable system monitor (basic version - debug)        
p   conky-std                                               - highly configurable system monitor (default version)              
p   conky-std-dbg                                           - highly configurable system monitor (default version - debug)
if you have more than one of the i(installed) markers then it means you have some package confusion, possibly from an earlier post of someone telling you to install one package over another one and not cleanly removing the previous, -you can simply remove it and proceed easily without issue(worse case is you go apt install conky-all again). But you need it to finally look like the above output.

removing one of the conky packages listed above will have no effect on the existing conky-manager2 package.
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Logansfury »

zcot wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:43 pm conky and conky-manager(2) are not related in packaging.

You can remove conky-manager2 and still get everything of anything we are seeing in these posts. (as long as some conky package is installed, most likely conky-all)

There are not cross dependencies between them, well other than if you want to use conky-manager2 it would be pointless if you have not installed some conky package, because then you will not be able to use conky, thus conky-manager is irrelevant.

If you search: apt search conky, you will see a few packages. The one named only conky you can see is a virtual package and just the way to get a basic setup without having to know the package name is actually conky-std (which would mean apt install conky-std).

What you really want, in your specific case, since you are definitely going to use the advanced dependency lib features, is the package conky-all.

conky-cli is just the conky setup but where the conky output only goes to a terminal based situation. you will not be using graphics here and the mass of features that you are aware of.

conky-std is just that same conky except instead of output going to terminal it will go to the desktop screen. You will not get advanced 3rd party support libs packaged into the install. No cairo, imlib, xft fonts, and like 30 other specific support things or so.

conky-all will have all the internal api bindings to be able to use the many 3rd party support libs. That's the one you want, and that's all you do, you don't go digging through other system packages and installing other stuff, it's all included.

Check the output from your search above, you should see where it looks like that:

p   conky                                                   - highly configurable system monitor (transitional package)         
i   conky-all                                               - highly configurable system monitor (all features enabled)         
p   conky-all-dbg                                           - highly configurable system monitor (all features enabled - debug) 
p   conky-cli                                               - highly configurable system monitor (basic version)                
p   conky-cli-dbg                                           - highly configurable system monitor (basic version - debug)        
p   conky-std                                               - highly configurable system monitor (default version)              
p   conky-std-dbg                                           - highly configurable system monitor (default version - debug)
if you have more than one of the i(installed) markers then it means you have some package confusion, possibly from an earlier post of someone telling you to install one package over another one and not cleanly removing the previous, -you can simply remove it and proceed easily without issue(worse case is you go apt install conky-all again). But you need it to finally look like the above output.

removing one of the conky packages listed above will have no effect on the existing conky-manager2 package.
Hello Zcot!

Yes I have 2 instances of installed conky:

logansfury@OptiPlex-5040:~$ apt search conky
p   conky                           - highly configurable system monitor (transi
i   conky-all                       - highly configurable system monitor (all fe
p   conky-cli                       - highly configurable system monitor (basic 
i   conky-manager2                  - Utility for managing Conky configuration f
c   conky-std                       - highly configurable system monitor (defaul
logansfury@OptiPlex-5040:~$ 
I have no recollection of ever doing an conky-all install command but this shows I have it as well as the manager. Is it ok to have the manager an one version of conky enabled? I like my manager and dont want to lose the software
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

Logansfury wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:55 pm Yes I have 2 instances of installed conky:
No you don't. You have conky-all. That's 1 instance.

Reread what I said.

And your setup is fine just like that, -you have conky-all which is what you need for the 3rd party lib supports that you're interested in.
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Logansfury »

zcot wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:02 am
Logansfury wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:55 pm Yes I have 2 instances of installed conky:
No you don't. You have conky-all. That's 1 instance.

Reread what I said.

And your setup is fine just like that, -you have conky-all which is what you need for the 3rd party lib supports that you're interested in.
Well that's not entirely good news >.< I was counting on not having had conky-all installed as the reason I cannot display a beautiful conky weather widget written in .lua by Bleys. The .sh file works alone in a terminal, but the full conkyrc/wetter.lua/wetter.sh/wettericons directory widget only shows a background on my screen and never displays the weather info or images.

Bleys had me post my files, he ran them on his system and they worked fine. For some reason though I'm stuck with no display :(

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”