Cannot install Yahoo in Thunderbird email

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nonno13
Level 3
Level 3

Cannot install Yahoo in Thunderbird email

Post by nonno13 »

I have tired several times to install Yahoo in Thunderbird email. The settings are automatic with Incoming server set as:, Protocall IMAP, Hostname: imap.mail.yahoo.com,Port 993, Connection security SSL/TLS, Authentication Method OAuth2, user name (My yahoo user name), and with Outgoing servers set as:, Hostname: smtp.mail.yahoo.com,Port 465, Connection security SSL/TLS, Authentication Method OAuth2, user name (My yahoo user name).

When I click on Done a Yahoo subscreen pops up saying enter credentials for (My yahoo user name) on imap.mail.yahoo.com and it presents me with a yahoo screen and Sign in. I then click next and it states "Please enable cookies in your browser and sign in again." I don't know what to do at this point.

Please help.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Cannot install Yahoo in Thunderbird email

Post by mikeflan »

Please enable cookies in your browser and sign in again.
Hmm. So Thunderbird is opening a sign-in window in your browser? Or an extension of your browser?
What browser do you use? Can you tell what browser the sign-in window is using?

If you use Firefox select Edit - Settings - Privacy & Security tab.
nonno13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nonno13 »

The browser is firefox and selected Edit - Settings - Privacy & Security tab. There is a subcategory "Cookies and Site Data" with options for Clear Data, Manage data and Manage exceptions. I do not know how to enable cookies on Firefox..

Also, After doing some more checking on the internet it appears that Yahoo no longer allows third party apps like Thunderbird or Outlook to use Yahoo. So, I am thinking that it may not be possible to have Yahoo in Thunderbird.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I do not know how to enable cookies on Firefox..
I think you click the Standard radio button:
ff.png
it appears that Yahoo no longer allows third party apps like Thunderbird or Outlook to use Yahoo. So, I am thinking that it may not be possible to have Yahoo in Thunderbird.
That is certainly possible, but I think we would have heard about that if it was really the case.
Their IT people may say that, but I'm not sure it is really true.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

There might be a setting in yahoo to enable less secure third party email apps, see https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/th ... -and-yahoo
nonno13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nonno13 »

It was on standard by default.
nonno13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nonno13 »

NOW, If I sign into yahoo mail and then click on account info, then click on security, then generate app password, enter an app name, and click on generate password, I get the message "Sorry, this feature is not available right now".

Return to “Cinnamon”