Hypnotix?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wwblm
Level 4
Level 4

Hypnotix?

Post by wwblm »

This is touted as a great improvement in 21.3. I truly don't get this. The overwhelming majority of "stations" in my program do nothing. There are a few that actually work and a few more that work for a few seconds and then stall out. Sure you can now add a station but why are the defaults mostly useless? Perhaps it is a USA thing? Perhaps it works better in other parts of the world? I messed around with this a few years ago with VLC. That experience was a little better but not much. Don't see much difference between 21.2 and 21.3

Anyone have a good experience with Hypnotix? Used as shipped or did you make changes to make it useful?

Pretty much the last thing I need is to watch more TV so this is really not an issue for me. Just curious as it seems like such an odd thing to promote as a strength for Linux Mint when it looks like a second rate implementation of a useless feature to me.
Knightstmplr1
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Hypnotix?

Post by Knightstmplr1 »

wwblm wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:59 pm This is touted as a great improvement in 21.3. I truly don't get this. The overwhelming majority of "stations" in my program do nothing.
Anyone have a good experience with Hypnotix? Used as shipped or did you make changes to make it useful?
Pretty much the last thing I need is to watch more TV so this is really not an issue for me. Just curious as it seems like such an odd thing to promote as a strength for Linux Mint when it looks like a second rate implementation of a useless feature to me.
The change or improvement I made was to just delete this useless piece of garbage from my LM 21.1 XFCE...It is totally useless here in the USA,
maybe it's really great in Europe, but it offers nothing that I can see for users here in the U.S...YMMV
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

With this alternative m3u list results are great at least where I am. There is a number of sublists for USA categorized by state (pic "expand" by country and scroll down). Perhaps somewhere on the web you can find an even more comprehensive and more often updated list of iptv streams for your locations. You have to look for it. Hypnotix cannot make available content that is geolocated but for whatever is available it offers a much more efficient way of viewing iptv than browsers, for example while using your laptop on battery.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

Perhaps it is a USA thing? Perhaps it works better in other parts of the world?
Yes it's really excellent here in Europe. Lots of channels from many countries.
Gotta remember, Mint is from Ireland! :D
I'm guessing TV networks / business models / laws / public access is very different in the US.
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dullard du Jour »

I installed Hypnotix 4.3 onto my Mint Vanessa and it works fine for the most part. Some things to keep in mind are...

Some stations are geo blocked
Some stations have licensing in effect
Many stations lack the bandwidth for effective viewing
Firewalls may be a problem
VPNs may or may not help

I am able to view most of the English stations with the exception of UK stations. Most foreign stations I can view, most radio stations I can listen to. For being free, Hypnotix works great. It sure beats PPV from cable TV, Netflix and the others. I have no real complaint and eventually, I will build my personal list of channels I want to watch.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”