Lock screen not working - (RESOLVED FOR NOW)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cherock1254
Level 1
Level 1

Lock screen not working - (RESOLVED FOR NOW)

Post by cherock1254 »

Second with Minutes on Display and NEVER on suspend
Second with Minutes on Display and NEVER on suspend
My problems on 21.3 Cinnamon are: In the power management, there are two screenshots: one has minutes for screen and suspend and the other has minutes for screen and Never on the suspend; neither right now requires my password to unlock. I hit any one button on my machine and it unlocks the machine, which it is not supposed to do.
Screenshot from 2024-01-20 11-24-21.png
Last edited by cherock1254 on Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Clois Beckwith = cherock@startmail.com
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Lock screen not working

Post by SMG »

cherock1254 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:39 pm Screenshot from 2024-01-20 11-21-57.pngMy problems on 21.3 Cinnamon are: In the power management, there are two screenshots: one has minutes for screen and suspend and the other has minutes for screen and Never on the suspend; neither right now requires my password to unlock.
Power Manager is not the place to set up a lock screen.
cherock1254 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:39 pmI hit any one button on my machine and it unlocks the machine, which it is not supposed to do.
By default, suspending the computer does not lock it.

Please check your Screensaver app. Setting up a lock screen is done in that app and not in the Power Management app.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
cherock1254
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cherock1254 »

Sorry it is a man's name typing on a Desktop (LinuxMint, Latest version 21.3 as the only Operating System loaded on a 1 terabyte drive).

BTW, where is the suspend and Lock the computer at?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

cherock1254 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:21 amBTW, where is the suspend and Lock the computer at?
A screen lock is a separate function from suspend. If you want to suspend the computer and have the lock screen running so that when the computer resumes from suspend you must type in your password, then go to the Screensaver app and set the appropriate options.

In the screensaver app there is a section for "Lock settings". This is what mine looks like for LM20.3, but yours should be similar. I have the locking function disabled.
screensaver.png
You will want to enable the "Lock the computer when put to sleep" setting. (Suspend and sleep are the same function.)
cherock1254
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cherock1254 »

The Suspend and Lock feature is NOT working. I set the settings as shown above in the screenshots. Came back to the machine after a two hour doggy interaction (Playtime), hit one key on the keyboard and opened right up on where I left off.

BTW, the menu bar on the left, that icon can be used to physically Lock the machine, but their is no automatic feature to start the suspend and Lock, automatically.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

cherock1254 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:17 pm The Suspend and Lock feature is NOT working. I set the settings as shown above in the screenshots.
I have the lockscreen turned off. The settings I posted in the image are to have the screensaver never to come on and the system to never lock. That is what I wrote.
SMG wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:02 pm This is what mine looks like for LM20.3, but yours should be similar. I have the locking function disabled.
...You will want to enable the "Lock the computer when put to sleep" setting.
Let's try this again.

You need to change those settings to what you want on your system. Make sure you have your Power Settings set so that it looks similar to your first screenshot (suspend when inactive for 15 minutes) and then go to the Screensaver app and push the slider to the right for the first Lock option so it is turned on. It will look similar to the below:
Attachments
screensaver-lock.png
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

cherock1254 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:17 pmBTW, the menu bar on the left, that icon can be used to physically Lock the machine, but their is no automatic feature to start the suspend and Lock, automatically.
There is no automatic feature to lock. You have to set the locking parameters in the Screensaver app.

If you want to immediately suspend the computer, you should be able to click the Quit (Shutdown the computer) button on the menu bar and then when the options pop up on your screen you would select the Suspend button.
cherock1254
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cherock1254 »

SMG wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:29 pm
cherock1254 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:17 pmBTW, the menu bar on the left, that icon can be used to physically Lock the machine, but their is no automatic feature to start the suspend and Lock, automatically.
There is no automatic feature to lock. You have to set the locking parameters in the Screensaver app.

If you want to immediately suspend the computer, you should be able to click the Quit (Shutdown the computer) button on the menu bar and then when the options pop up on your screen you would select the Suspend button.

I believe that Suspend was enabled in 21.2 and 21.1 automatically to start in the Power management module, but have no way to verify this since those two were lost on install of the 21.3 version.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

cherock1254 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:47 pmI believe that Suspend was enabled in 21.2 and 21.1 automatically to start in the Power management module, but have no way to verify this since those two were lost on install of the 21.3 version.
That is not relevant to anything about the lock screen.

You use Power Management to set up automatically suspending the computer.

You use the Screensaver app to set up the lock screen.

Return to “Cinnamon”