[SOLVED] black screen on cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
toolg
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] black screen on cinnamon

Post by toolg »

Cinnamon on 21.3 is going to a black screen with no other apps running on top of it. A left-click of the mouse brings it back but it does it sporadically after that. I have not found a way to re-create this yet. It started after the upgrade from 21.2 Victoria to 21.3 Virginia.
Last edited by toolg on Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
toolg
Level 1
Level 1

Re: black screen on cinnamon

Post by toolg »

I hope I was able to put this issue to rest. I went back through my System Settings one by one and it appears that Desktop Effects was enabled during the upgrade to 21.3. I had never had them enabled before and I remember always disabling them in the past due to display probs. So, I hope this took care of it.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

toolg wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:05 pm Cinnamon on 21.3 is going to a black screen with no other apps running on top of it. A left-click of the mouse brings it back but it does it sporadically after that. I have not found a way to re-create this yet. It started after the upgrade from 21.2 Victoria to 21.3 Virginia.
Welcome to the forum, toolg.

That seems like a strange issue for the Effects to be doing that. It sort of sounds like it might be problem with a background or a theme?

Do you have the left-click set to do something special?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
toolg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by toolg »

Thanks for the welcome.

I dont usually do any mods to my menus via mouse clicks. I have not experienced any desktop issues since My KDE days. I used to disable desktop effects when I used KDE because it made my screen ragged and jumpy. This was the first time I have had any problems while using Cinnamon.

Return to “Cinnamon”