How to make "monitor profiles"

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cowars
Level 1
Level 1

How to make "monitor profiles"

Post by cowars »

I'm a beginner with Linux and I've chosen to start with Linux Mint. In Windows, I used Display Fusion, which allowed me to save monitor profiles. This was particularly useful because I have a bed next to my desk. When I wanted to use my PC from bed, I would switch to a monitor profile that turned off one monitor and enlarged the UI on the other. After rotating the active monitor towards my bed, I could comfortably use it since the second monitor was deactivated.

Now, I'm trying to find a way to replicate this setup in Linux Mint.

I attempted to create a script with ChatGPT's help, using xrandr commands to scale the display to 0.5x0.5. While this worked, it reduced the clarity of the display. When I mentioned this to ChatGPT, it suggested adjusting the DPI and provided an updated script. However, changing the DPI didn't seem to have any effect.

I would appreciate any help with this.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to make "monitor profiles"

Post by SMG »

cowars wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:25 pm I'm a beginner with Linux and I've chosen to start with Linux Mint. In Windows, I used Display Fusion, which allowed me to save monitor profiles. This was particularly useful because I have a bed next to my desk. When I wanted to use my PC from bed, I would switch to a monitor profile that turned off one monitor and enlarged the UI on the other. After rotating the active monitor towards my bed, I could comfortably use it since the second monitor was deactivated.

Now, I'm trying to find a way to replicate this setup in Linux Mint.
Welcome to the forum, cowars.

If you open the Display app, are you able to create each of the settings you want individually?

Please open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click the Copy button in the lower right and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware. Sometimes the available graphics driver can impact what options are available.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
amg_core
Level 1
Level 1

Post by amg_core »

I had seem question and find very simple solution. Try using GUI xrandr solution - arandr

Code: Select all

sudo apt install arandr
after that run it
You can configuration your workspace and save configuration to sh file with arandr, it is very simple.
Now you can run this script and getting what you want

P.S If you want get constant your user interface scale paste this line before xrandr

gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.interface scaling-factor 1
Finally, my desktop changing script looks like that

#!/bin/sh
gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.interface scaling-factor 2 
xrandr --output DVI-D-0 --primary --mode 3840x2160 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal --output HDMI-0 --off --output DP-0 --off --output DP-1 --off --output DP-2 --off --output DP-3 --off --output DP-4 --off --output DP-5 --off
Last edited by amg_core on Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

amg_core wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:52 am I had seem question and find very simple solution. Try using GUI xrandr solution - arandr

sudo apt install arandr
after that run it
You can configuration your workspace and save configuration to sh file with arandr, it is very simple.
Now you can run this script and getting what you want
Welcome to the forum, amg_core.

That will only work if using open-source graphics drivers.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

amg_core wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:52 am I had seem question and find very simple solution. Try using GUI xrandr solution - arandr
I don't think arandr does anything that you can't do with mint's display application.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

AndyMH wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:57 pm
I don't think arandr does anything that you can't do with mint's display application.
I doubt it myself.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I just searched the subject and there really doesn't seem to be any Linux equivalent for this at all.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Cinnamon”