after update to 21.3 Virginia (Cinnamon) most applets not work

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mezzotoscano
Level 1
Level 1

after update to 21.3 Virginia (Cinnamon) most applets not work

Post by mezzotoscano »

Hello,

I just updated to 21.3 Virginia (Cinnamon) - no errors during update.

after reboot Cinnamon crashed - now applets and desklets downloaded from spices stopped working. (built in ones do work)

removing then adding applet does not work. uninstalling then reinstalling applet / desklet does not work.

restarting Cinnamon and resetting to default also did not work.

everything else looks fine.

thank you for your help!
Shiva
Level 3
Level 3

Re: after update to 21.3 Virginia (Cinnamon) most applets not work

Post by Shiva »

Hello,
Did you do that ? (from LM Blog)

Code: Select all

2. Prepare for the upgrade
If you installed Cinnamon spices (applets, desklets, extensions, themes), upgrade them from the System Settings.
mezzotoscano
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mezzotoscano »

yes
I only have one desklet and a few applets installed
mezzotoscano
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mezzotoscano »

I just tried downloading an applet I had not installed before, when I try to add the applet to the panel nothing happens
mezzotoscano
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mezzotoscano »

I also tried creating a new panel. I can add / configure / remove built-in applets. applets downloaded from spices do not work.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

mezzotoscano wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:52 pmI only have one desklet and a few applets installed
What are they?

What is the output of

inxi -Sxxx
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
mezzotoscano
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mezzotoscano »

cristiano@DeLorean2022:~$ inxi -sxxx
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 53.0 C mobo: 41.0 C sodimm: SODIMM C
  Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 0
Schermata del 2024-01-16 11-20-43.png
Installed ClockTow as desklet, no extensions or actions.

In the meantime I used Timeshift to restore system to previous version Victoria (I made a snapshot before the update) and everything is working :)
VictorGG
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VictorGG »

Hello,

Here I've got the same problem, Weather Applet doesn't work well on version 21.3 Cinnamon. Besides, the Panel doesn't work properly using external monitor either ... I had to get back to previous version 21.2
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
LENOVO IdeaPad 3 - AMD Ryzen 7 5700U
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

mezzotoscano wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:24 am

cristiano@DeLorean2022:~$ inxi -sxxx
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 53.0 C mobo: 41.0 C sodimm: SODIMM C
  Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 0
You used a lower case s instead of the upper case S in the command.

To prevent typing mistakes such as the previous one in the future:
  • You can click "SELECT ALL" to the right of CODE: in order to select everything.
  • Then do Control-C (hold the Control key and, while holding it, press the C key) to copy what you selected.
  • Then in the terminal window select Edit > Paste.
However, if you have already reverted with Timeshift, then that information will no longer be helpful.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

VictorGG wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:35 amBesides, the Panel doesn't work properly using external monitor either ... I had to get back to previous version 21.2
That is a different issue. Please create your own topic for that issue.

For those having problems with specific applets, you can search here linuxmint / cinnamon-spices-applets to see if the issue has been reported.
mezzotoscano wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:24 amInstalled ClockTow as desklet, no extensions or actions.
Issues for desklets can be found here linuxmint / cinnamon-spices-desklets . I don't see any for ClockTow. If no one tells them there is a problem, it is unlikely to be fixed.
VictorGG
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VictorGG »

SMG wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:25 am Please create your own topic for that issue.
Copy that 👍
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
LENOVO IdeaPad 3 - AMD Ryzen 7 5700U
mezzotoscano
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mezzotoscano »

SMG wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:25 am For those having problems with specific applets, you can search here linuxmint / cinnamon-spices-applets to see if the issue has been reported.
mezzotoscano wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:24 amInstalled ClockTow as desklet, no extensions or actions.
Issues for desklets can be found here linuxmint / cinnamon-spices-desklets . I don't see any for ClockTow. If no one tells them there is a problem, it is unlikely to be fixed.
Thank you for your help. As I mentioned, this does not seem to be related to the specific spices I am running - I did some tests with applets and desklets I never used before, they did not work either - only spices that came preinstalled with Cinnamon would work. So this seems to be a general issue with installation of spices.

As I said, I have gone back to 21.2 for the time being. I will wait a few days, then I will try update to 21.3 again, doing it slowly and checking for any sign of issues. Worst scenario, I can wait for release of 22.0 and/or make a clean install.

If the problem persists, I will post an update to this topic.

Thank you everyone :)
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

mezzotoscano wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:06 amAs I mentioned, this does not seem to be related to the specific spices I am running - I did some tests with applets and desklets I never used before, they did not work either - only spices that came preinstalled with Cinnamon would work.
I think you are missing the point that changes in Cinnamon often require spice programmers to make changes to their spices so they work on newer versions of Cinnamon. If they have not yet done this, that would explain what you are seeing.

If there are spices which come as default with your Linux Mint install then of course those would have been tested prior to creating the ISO. The same cannot be said for other spices.
mezzotoscano wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:06 amSo this seems to be a general issue with installation of spices.
So it would seem you need to create a bug report and give specifics in that report.

Return to “Cinnamon”