21.3 lock screen not working?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jared_tsch
Level 1
Level 1

21.3 lock screen not working?

Post by jared_tsch »

Just did the update from 21.2 to 21.3 and the lockscreen function is not working from either keyboard shortcut nor from the start menu button. Any one else run into this?

-jt
pimmie
Level 1
Level 1

Re: 21.3 lock screen not working?

Post by pimmie »

Same for me, lock screen button not working neither is the ctrl+alt+L shortcut
EkspB
Level 1
Level 1

Post by EkspB »

after the update it doesn't work for me either, apparently it's a problem that they will solve soon, for now I turn off the computer when it needs to lock
techglitch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by techglitch »

Oh good, it's not just me. This is frustrating because it's a work computer and it's company policy that we lock our screens whenever we walk away from our computers. So I instinctively press Ctrl+Alt+L when I get up from my computer. And now it's broken. I know I shouldn't always run the "latest and greatest" on my work computer but Mint has been so ridiculously rock solid for me. I've run beta's in the past before the next release and never had issues, a credit to the Mint Developers. So I guess I made the erroneous assumption, based on past experience, that a full release upgrade would be fine.

It's fine though, I guess I just need to shutdown my computer whenever I go to the bathroom or to grab lunch.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Has anyone who posted in this topic tried using Wayland? If so, there is a known problem when switching from Wayland back to X server that affects the lockscreen. You need to reboot after using Wayland to clear its files from your session. See if that fixes the lockscreen issue.
Last edited by SMG on Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to add link to the bug report.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
EkspB
Level 1
Level 1

Post by EkspB »

Thank you, I really tested a wayland session that didn't work very well with nvidia cards, after a restart everything was fine Thank you
OR3X
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OR3X »

SMG wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:54 pm Has anyone who posted in this topic tried using Wayland? If so, there is a known problem when switching from Wayland back to X server that affects the lockscreen. You need to reboot after using Wayland to clear its files from your session. See if that fixes the lockscreen issue.
I ran into the same issue, and a reboot did indeed get it working again, but it seems to be really slow. When I press CTRL+ALT+L or click lock from the Mint menu there is a good 1-2 second delay before the screen actually locks. Likewise when I unlock from the lock screen there is again a 1-2 second delay after hitting enter before the screen actually unlocks. Previously on 21.2 these were both instant actions. IS anyone else experiencing this after trying Wayland then switching back to X11?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

OR3X wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:52 pmI ran into the same issue, and a reboot did indeed get it working again...
Welcome to the forum, OR3X.

If you have rebooted, that should have cleared anything from Wayland. Did you upgrade in place from LM21.2 to LM21.3?

Can you make an LM21.3 install usb and see if the same problem happens for you in a live session of LM21.3? One does not get the login screen when doing a live session so that should take you into an X11 session with no taint of Wayland.
pimmie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pimmie »

SMG wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:54 pm Has anyone who posted in this topic tried using Wayland?
I did try Wayland but I tried Wayland _after_ I noticed the lock screen issues because as part of the lock screen debugging I tried 'switching users' and only then I noticed I could choose to use Wayland during sign in :)
(Wayland is still too buggy with multiple screens, fe background image doesn't span correctly)

OR3X wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:52 pm I ran into the same issue, and a reboot did indeed get it working again
Same, it seems to be working for me now

SMG wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:01 pm Did you upgrade in place from LM21.2 to LM21.3?

Can you make an LM21.3 install usb and see if the same problem happens for you in a live session of LM21.3? One does not get the login screen when doing a live session so that should take you into an X11 session with no taint of Wayland.
To confirm, I did do an in-place upgrade from .2 to .3 but iirc I had already rebooted once after upgrade
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

pimmie wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:15 am
OR3X wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:52 pm I ran into the same issue, and a reboot did indeed get it working again
Same, it seems to be working for me now
It's working like it did in LM21.2 or it is working with a delay like OR3X is seeing?
pimmie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pimmie »

SMG wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:21 am It's working like it did in LM21.2 or it is working with a delay like OR3X is seeing?
It seems to be more or less the same actually, tried both just now but to me both seem to have a small delay for the lock screen to appear after pressing the button. As in, with both you always see the start menu closing after pressing the lock button and then after a couple of 100 milliseconds the lock screen appears. It's not pressing the button and you see the lock screen immediately, never has for me.

Talking about delays, there is relatively often a huge delay when opening a closed laptop that should show the lock screen after resuming. In those cases it takes multiple seconds after opening the laptop screen before the lock screen appears. It's not that you can interact with the UI (at least as far as I tried), but you do have a clear view of the UI before the lock screen appears. But that has been happening for me with LM since forever... ;)
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

pimmie wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:32 pm...but you do have a clear view of the UI before the lock screen appears. But that has been happening for me with LM since forever... ;)
I think I recall seeing a bug report on that. Became an issue with LM21 (or maybe it was LM21.1) as I recall.
mi7chy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mi7chy »

Also ran into this issue after upgrading from 21.2 to 21.3 Cinnamon. It's related to having screen scaling enabled which I have mine set to 125% so instead of getting a lock screen it, instead, shows a black screen with mouse pointer but can blind type the password to get back to desktop. If I disable screen scaling back to 100% then screen saver consistently works fine. Didn't have this issue when on 21.2 with screen scaling enabled. Another thing, upgrading to 21.3 didn't retain the screen scaling 'enabled' setting since it was showing 125% but screen scaling was off.

Update: Screen saver update was pushed out 24Jan2024 that seems to have resolved my issue.

Return to “Cinnamon”