Non-Mint: MX Linux or Pop!_OS?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Non-Mint: MX Linux or Pop!_OS?

Post by Petermint »

I should have known better than to use an analogy in here
Does analogy use Cinnamon, LXDE, or :lol:
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

Moem wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:21 pm
TaterChip wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:29 pm This is why I'm not a fan of running updates.
I'm not a fan of wearing seatbelts. But I do wear them every time I drive a car. They're not meant for fun, they serve a function. Same as with OS updates.
I use this computer for my business. When running an update screws up the functionality of a piece of software, it causes problems, sometimes major problems. Case in point is the speech to text software that I am using right now to type out this post. When I screwed up my computer and had to reinstall everything, the new version of SpeechNote took away the right-click functionality. So now I can no longer right-click to cut, copy, or paste when I am formatting what I want to say. If I could figure out how to get an appimage of the older version for my machine, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Some will say, we'll then just use the keyboard shortcuts. That would be great if my left hand worked as it should. Thanks to my stroke in June of this year. It has caused problems with the left hand. So I rely a lot more on what I can do with the mouse.

I'm all for security updates when they don't break anything. However, the last two software updates the devs really screwed me over. I hate the new layout of Thunderbird 115. And SpeechNote is now less functional.... All because the devs wanted to change stuffjust to be changing stuff. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

So yeah, people can say I'm dumb for not wanting to update the system, I'm fine with that. I will do whatever it takes to maintain my sanity and the functionality of my computer. I'm at an age where I no longer like tinkering. I want to set it up, get it to work, and leave it alone. Until I can figure out a way to get it so I can put the computer back exactly as it sits right now. I will not be doing anything to it as far as updates. Time shift has let me down twice. Right now I am looking into Rescuzilla, but the available external hard drive I have is not large enough, so I've got to get another one.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

TaterChip wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:57 am So yeah, people can say I'm dumb for not wanting to update the system, I'm fine with that.
I wouldn't say that, I would just say you're taking a risk. As long as you're aware of that, and you're okay with the risk you're taking and your reasons for doing so, it's all up to you. I've not read in detail how "Timeshift let you down", I'll take you at your word.

In conclusion, we can probably agree that strokes suck.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

Moem wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:19 pm
TaterChip wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:57 am So yeah, people can say I'm dumb for not wanting to update the system, I'm fine with that.
I wouldn't say that, I would just say you're taking a risk. As long as you're aware of that, and you're okay with the risk you're taking and your reasons for doing so, it's all up to you. I've not read in detail how "Timeshift let you down", I'll take you at your word.

In conclusion, we can probably agree that strokes suck.
I'm not specifically saying that you were calling me dumb, however others in the past have.

I definitely agree that there is a risk involved. Once I get a backup of my system so I can put it back exactly as it sits, then I might start installing security-only updates. I keep a backup of my data already on an external hard drive that is only connected while running backups.

Thanks to Microsoft's BS, I haven't updated a system since Windows 7. Once they switched my wife's Windows 7 machine to Windows 8 via an update, I made it so that our machines would never update again. When I purchased my win 10 laptop... Making it so it could never be updated by Microsoft was the first thing I did when I powered it on before it ever hit the internet?

I had hoped that switching to Linux would be different, and it probably is. However, when devs change the functionality of a piece of software that I rely on each and every day, I can't take those chances.

As for TimeShift, I was told that it allows you to roll your system back to an earlier time. However, I could not roll Thunderbird 115 back to Thunderbird 102. Then I was screwing around with my desktop environment trying new things and I royally screwed it up. TimeShift couldn't fix that either, and I ended up just formatting and starting over.

As for the stroke, it more than sucks. I've only been able to regain about 80% of what I had before. I was living the dream that I had been chasing since I was 14. I'm now 50 and the stroke destroyed that.... So I've had to adapt.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Petermint wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:00 pm
I should have known better than to use an analogy in here
Does analogy use Cinnamon, LXDE, or :lol:
It's ANALOG dammit :lol:
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Analog works well.

POP!_OS is gnome-ugly, but it is really stable as a general rule. MX is also stable, and the KDE looks amazing so you might consider either one. KDE does not look as good on POP as it does on MX.
Eggnog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Eggnog »

I have a feeling POP!_OS will be really amazing once they finish their Cosmic desktop environment written with Rust and it gets polished up. It's pretty good now but their new DE will really make it shine. MX KDE is really nice; MX is probably my favorite KDE distro. MX Tools should be in every distro. And of course Mint is minty awesome.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Eggnog wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:41 pm I have a feeling POP!_OS will be really amazing once they finish their Cosmic desktop environment written with Rust and it gets polished up. It's pretty good now but their new DE will really make it shine. MX KDE is really nice; MX is probably my favorite KDE distro. MX Tools should be in every distro. And of course Mint is minty awesome.
I cannot disagree with you at all.

Return to “Chat about Linux”