Error when install XFCE after Deepin

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rodfartam
Level 1
Level 1

Error when install XFCE after Deepin

Post by rodfartam »

I was playing on my Linux Mint and installed different desktop environments to test them.
My original version was Cinnamon, then I installed in this order: deepin - mate - xfce.

The problem occurred after installing xfce using

Code: Select all

sudo apt install xubuntu-desktop
It gave me the following error (in Spanish, sorry):

Code: Select all

dpkg: error al procesar el archivo /var/cache/apt/archives/xubuntu-default-settings_22.04.0_all.deb (--unpack):
 intentando sobreescribir `/etc/skel/.config/Trolltech.conf', que está también en el paquete ubuntudde-default-settings 1.1.9.2ubuntu1
Se encontraron errores al procesar:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/xubuntu-default-settings_22.04.0_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
I restarted my PC and I couldn't log in, because after typing the right password I returned to the login screen. There are several posts in this forum and other parts with questions and answers to this same problem. I haven't tried them yet because I think I should start by finishing the installation correctly.

How can I correct that error when trying to overwrite Trolltech.conf when unpack xubuntu-default-settings_22.04.0_all.deb
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Error when install XFCE after Deepin

Post by Hoser Rob »

Installing multiple desktop environments is one of the best ways to break Linux, and yours seems pretty borked. No truly knowledgeable user would ever suggest multiple desktops on the same install is a good thing to do. The problem is that this sort of thing created problems that are extremely hard to solve, even with access to the machine rather than "over the phone" like this.

Many Linux newbies have been sucked in by that "in Linux you can do anything you want" rubbish. That's only true in that if you have a sudo or root password, the OS will assume you know exactly what you're doing (esp.with root), and will let you do pretty much anything. However that doesn't mean it'll work. The OS will let you break it with zero warning.

I'm afraid that the usual recommendation for this is to to a data backup and clean reinstall of the desktop version you liked. And in the future if you want to try something like that either do it in a VM, on a spare machine, or with a live USB boot.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
rodfartam
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Error when install XFCE after Deepin

Post by rodfartam »

Thanks for your answer.

No problem, I was really "playing" to try out the different desktops in a separate installation that I can just delete. My "seriously" PC is safe elsewhere.

I didn't know that having multiple desks could be a dangerous thing. :?

Return to “Xfce”