Words I thought I would NEVER hear

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Words I thought I would NEVER hear

Post by AZgl1800 »

my sister is now 73, and never used anything except the crap from Seattle, WA

she has told me over the years, to "leave my computer alone"

as I have mentioned before, last summer, I spent 3 months at her home while her and hubby dealt with Covid.... that stuff missed me.. thank you Lord.

One day, her PC Blue Screened, and refused to boot back up.
I tried to get it to go into Recovery Mode, nix nay.

I asked her if it mattered what is behind the screen, what do you do with the PC?
YouTube, email, Facebook.

okay, let me try to get you working again.

I installed LM20.3 Cinnamon and turned off the Update Manager, I did NOT want her to have to deal with Linux, period.

Skip from August 15, 2022 to today, Nov, 9, 2023....

her husband passed last month, she is being submerged with dealing with his bank accounts, and Fraud charges on his stuff... he was an Internet Nerd who ordered stuff right and left, plus he never allowed her to know anything about his account, no passwords, or even which bank he used..... ( lots of turmoil for her to get straightened out )

Trying to get rid of a Fraud charge, she had to turn on his Win11 PC.....

I called right after that experience and she said " I just can't handle the way that Greg's PC works, it just irritates the hell out of me " :shock:

I very cautiously avoided the word " Linux ", and just said that "Cinnamon" takes care of you, you never need those Anti-Virus programs that they are charging him for....

I never got one word about her saying her PC does not work right.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Words I thought I would NEVER hear

Post by RollyShed »

After reading that a term immediately came to mind, "Ignorance is bliss."

This refers to the not knowing what is behind the screen and only knowing what is shown is what is wanted.

"Good luck" with passwords etc., you'll need it. There is the "remove disk and plug it into a Linux computer via a SATA to USB cable", approach to try if things get really sticky.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

RollyShed wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:49 pm After reading that a term immediately came to mind, "Ignorance is bliss."

This refers to the not knowing what is behind the screen and only knowing what is shown is what is wanted.

"Good luck" with passwords etc., you'll need it. There is the "remove disk and plug it into a Linux computer via a SATA to USB cable", approach to try if things get really sticky.
her user passwords are written on paper, which she conveniently looses from time to time.
as for the Mint password, I installed it, and used my password for my laptop.
not apt to forget that one.

she is not in a good emotional state right now, we are trying to get her to pack up and be ready for my son and I to drive our trucks up with trailers, to bring her to my home... she needs social support, and my little town has a very active Senior Community Center... and I have a space to park her motor-home with utilities.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

AZgl1800 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:31 pm ,,,her user passwords are written on paper, which she conveniently looses from time to time...
If you aren't worried about someone else having access to her computer, mayhap you could out the passwords onto a label and stick it to the computer or keyboard. Even better, set it up with a password manager and give it a master password she won't forget.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Jeannie,

at the time I installed Cinnamon, I was scared to even introduce her to anything Linux.

once I get her moved to my home, then I will install KeepassXC and go through setting it up for her websites.... but I doubt that will help, she refuses to use online banking,

" I want to see it on Paper " :!:

20.3 will soon be out of date,
and just the minor changes to 21.3 will scare her to death....
I will have to take the Upgrade Path, so that nothing changes in appearance.

I will do the Updates secretly from time to time...
again, something I can't do remotely....
if I install Remote Software, she will blow a fuse.
she is Extremely Paranoid.

unfortunately, she inherited all of my mother's genes, and not good ones.
Mom was always telling us "the FBI in watching us"
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

AZgl1800 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:47 pm20.3 will soon be out of date,
It goes end of life in April 2025 which is a year and a half from now.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

SMG wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:03 pm
AZgl1800 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:47 pm20.3 will soon be out of date,
It goes end of life in April 2025 which is a year and a half from now.
hopefully by then, she will be more accepting of "linux"
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

AZgl1800 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:47 pm 20.3 will soon be out of date,
Unfortunately the exact Mint-Y theme in 20.3 is gone since 21.1, and further invasive changes happened for 21.2. People can still enjoy mostly the same Mint-Y theme in 20.2 era, but not the 20.3 gem without some annoying manual works. (But we still have to deal with icon change for both cases.)
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

billyswong wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:10 am Unfortunately the exact Mint-Y theme in 20.3 is gone since 21.1, and further invasive changes happened for 21.2.
I did not like the new mint-legacy theme, so I copied over the mint-y theme from LM20.3 and renamed it. Easy for me, LM21.2 on the system drive, LM20.3 installed on my backup drive.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

billyswong wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:10 am
Unfortunately the exact Mint-Y theme in 20.3 is gone since 21.1, and further invasive changes happened for 21.2. People can still enjoy mostly the same Mint-Y theme in 20.2 era, but not the 20.3 gem without some annoying manual works. (But we still have to deal with icon change for both cases.)
People can enjoy LM21 without ever having to upgrade to newer versions. When LM20.3 goes end of life, just upgrade to LM21. There is no requirement that one has to update to newer point releases (ie. LM21.1 or 21.2) just because they exist.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

SMG wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:21 am
billyswong wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:10 am
People can enjoy LM21 without ever having to upgrade to newer versions. When LM20.3 goes end of life, just upgrade to LM21. There is no requirement that one has to update to newer point releases (ie. LM21.1 or 21.2) just because they exist.
that sounds like a good plan,
will do that first and just let it stay there....
hopefully she won't go into "melt down" ...

side note, I just called her doctor and got her an Emergency Appointment at 11:30 today, her time....
I got on bended knee and bled blood, but got it done.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

You could also update her and just tell her that Windows has changed the way it does things. Which it does regularly. Say that it was the latest "security" update that caused it and it cannot be undone or her computer will stop working safely........
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

SMG wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:21 am There is no requirement that one has to update to newer point releases (ie. LM21.1 or 21.2) just because they exist.
Agree, since Mint 18, I have installed the "major" release (18.0 if you will) and then never update again. Same with Mint 19, 20, and now 21.
So with Mint 21.0 I do not have the theme issue that comes with 21.1 (or .2 ?)

Funny to note, I see a lot of people seem to think that a new version of Linux is NOT worth installing until it reaches the .3 release...well lets just say there are differences of opinion.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

AndyMH wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:22 am
I did not like the new mint-legacy theme, so I copied over the mint-y theme from LM20.3 and renamed it. Easy for me, LM21.2 on the system drive, LM20.3 installed on my backup drive.
I also do NOT like the new theme changes, Thanks for the tip.
I just did this in a 21.2 virtual machine.
ksnip231110-202237.jpg
ksnip231110-202237.jpg (6.99 KiB) Viewed 769 times
I hope it still works when Mint 22 comes out. (hopefully there will not be any big surprises in the theme department.)

FWIW I found a combination that is acceptable to me in the newer versions of Mint 21, if you like the dark themes, is "Mint-Y-Dark-Grey".
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

You know Lupe said the exact same thing the other day about her Mac.

My dad is still happily using his "windows XP" computer which is really Linux Mint 21.1. My brother has not gotten over to update it to 21.2, but he has no complaints since "Windows XP" is running just fine.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:17 am You know Lupe said the exact same thing the other day about her Mac.

My dad is still happily using his "windows XP" computer which is really Linux Mint 21.1. My brother has not gotten over to update it to 21.2, but he has no complaints since "Windows XP" is running just fine.
If your Dad is happy the current version of "Windows XP", why change it? It has the same EOL as later versions will have.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:20 am
MurphCID wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:17 am You know Lupe said the exact same thing the other day about her Mac.

If your Dad is happy the current version of "Windows XP", why change it? It has the same EOL as later versions will have.
True, we are in no rush to update his "windows XP" system.
gomerpile
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gomerpile »

AZgl1800 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:36 pm my sister is now 73, and never used anything except the crap from Seattle, WA

she has told me over the years, to "leave my computer alone"

as I have mentioned before, last summer, I spent 3 months at her home while her and hubby dealt with Covid.... that stuff missed me.. thank you Lord.

One day, her PC Blue Screened, and refused to boot back up.
I tried to get it to go into Recovery Mode, nix nay.

I asked her if it mattered what is behind the screen, what do you do with the PC?
YouTube, email, Facebook.

okay, let me try to get you working again.

I installed LM20.3 Cinnamon and turned off the Update Manager, I did NOT want her to have to deal with Linux, period.

Skip from August 15, 2022 to today, Nov, 9, 2023....

her husband passed last month, she is being submerged with dealing with his bank accounts, and Fraud charges on his stuff... he was an Internet Nerd who ordered stuff right and left, plus he never allowed her to know anything about his account, no passwords, or even which bank he used..... ( lots of turmoil for her to get straightened out )

Trying to get rid of a Fraud charge, she had to turn on his Win11 PC.....

I called right after that experience and she said " I just can't handle the way that Greg's PC works, it just irritates the hell out of me " :shock:

I very cautiously avoided the word " Linux ", and just said that "Cinnamon" takes care of you, you never need those Anti-Virus programs that they are charging him for....

I never got one word about her saying her PC does not work right.
being a uber driver I had covid few times, I dont get sick, thank God brah. My whole family has had it more then once and we are safe. My point you could have had it but you are safe

Return to “Chat about Linux”