RC to Final: Package upgrade vs. fresh install [Solved]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

RC to Final: Package upgrade vs. fresh install [Solved]

Post by JoeFootball »

Newbie question here, so please bear with me. In another post regarding a proposed upgrade from an RC to the Final version of Mint 8 KDE, Boo had mentioned...
Boo wrote:RC to final will be able to be done by package upgrade.

Unless you love installing fresh every time.
My question is, would anything be gained from doing a fresh install versus package upgrade? I realize that in the end, my user experience would be the same, but would the fresh install be a more efficient system in any way beyond what I see on the surface? Or do both options literally provide you with the identical result?

Just thinking that I may want to do a fresh install of the Final should it be better for me in the long run, but if not, I obviously wouldn't want to bother with the hassle of doing so.

Many thanks in advance!

Joe
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
monkeyboy

Re: RC to Final: Package upgrade vs. fresh install

Post by monkeyboy »

JoeFootball wrote:Newbie question here, so please bear with me. In another post regarding a proposed upgrade from an RC to the Final version of Mint 8 KDE, Boo had mentioned...
Boo wrote:RC to final will be able to be done by package upgrade.

Unless you love installing fresh every time.
My question is, would anything be gained from doing a fresh install versus package upgrade? I realize that in the end, my user experience would be the same, but would the fresh install be a more efficient system in any way beyond what I see on the surface? Or do both options literally provide you with the identical result?

Just thinking that I may want to do a fresh install of the Final should it be better for me in the long run, but if not, I obviously wouldn't want to bother with the hassle of doing so.

Many thanks in advance!

Joe
Hey Joe, I have done both and as a general statement a fresh install seems to work better for me, less tinkering around and fewer surprises. However lots of folks do package upgrade with no problem. Like many things in Linux world each combination of user expectation and hardware vary so widely that results are a case by case call. Good Luck
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Differences between a "release candidate" and a "stable release" are almost always very minor. For the distro to ever get to the RC state, it needs all of the critical system stuff taken care of already. Usually the stuff you're dealing with between the RC and the Stable is things like some application bug fixes, maybe some artwork, perhaps a menu layout, etc, etc. Upgrading from an RC to a Stable is no cause for worry, it's basically just like updating your system. It's possible that there may be a handful more details in the relase notes, but if they're serious things then the distro never would have made it to the RC state in the first place.
tomassen

Post by tomassen »

anyway RC isn't avaliable :roll: :wink:

Return to “Software & Applications”