Is there some equivalent of 'task manager'?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Is there some equivalent of 'task manager'?

Post by gibbs1984 »

If it's just one particular program that freezes/crashes then you can use System Monitor (which you can find in the mintMenu) and kill the process, or like I do I have the Force Quit icon on my taskbar and use that to kill a program that crashes, this can be found by right clicking on the taskbar, Add to Panel and then selecting Force Quit.

If it's your whole computer that is crashing then I don't think these will be the best option as you'll probably have some other major issue that keeps making it crash.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

Or, from a command line approach:

Code: Select all

$ ps aux
To kill a process (the process id from the above) :

Code: Select all

$ kill -9 <process id inserted here>
-DataMan
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

atyar wrote:Thanks for the info. In my case, neither the mouse nor the keyboard are responsive when it's freezing up. I was hoping there was some equivalent of a 'Ctrl-Alt-Delete' key combo, as there are times when Windows misbehaves that the 3-finger salute is the only was to kill an offending task.

Hmm......not sure what the problem could be :?

I've run the Linux update, so that's all up-to-speed. All I can think of from there is that it's something to do with multimedia apps - when I was on the net, I think I was testing watch instantly on Netflix with Firefox, or something to that effect. Before the movie even started playing, the pc froze.

In reality, all I really use this laptop for is Openoffice, email, and the internet, so Mint seems like a good choice for it, given the age of the platform (Thinkpad T40). Wish I could get it to work stable-like :mrgreen:
In Mint it's Ctrl/Alt/Esc then click your mouse button, Or, you could use another method if your mouse works. Look at the second option in this link:
http://wlmtips.com/2008/07/25/force-qui ... ux-friday/

Return to “Beginner Questions”