How to install All In One HP printer --Resolved---

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Video Guy

How to install All In One HP printer --Resolved---

Post by Video Guy »

I'm new to Linux Mint, well Linux for that matter and I think it's great. My only issue has been setting up my combo printer scanner fax. My HP officejet 6500-e709a all in one networked hp printer install but the scanner software is not recognizing the scanner. I checked the HP site but could not find any linux drivers. Have any been made and if so could someone point me in the right direction?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pluraldave

Re: How to install All In One HP printer

Post by pluraldave »

hplip is already installed by default. Unless your printer is a very new model you will not need an updated version.

What is not installed by default is hplip-gui. This also has xsane (a scanning utility) as a dependency.

Open up (synaptic) package manager from the menu and do a search for hplip. You should see hplip is already installed. If it is not for some reason select it to be installed.
Also select hplip-gui (right-click>mark for installation). Accept all the extra packages it requires and hit apply to install.

Once installed it will appear in your menu as HPLIP Toolbox. (In Gnome you may have to right click the menu button > reload plugins for it to show)
Inside HP tollbox choose setup device and run through the process.
This should give you scanning, ink level reporting and any other features your printer supports.
Video Guy

Post by Video Guy »

Thanks for everyones help, much appreciated. I found some new things I like about Mint, while working on my problem but... I still don't have the ability to scan or fax.

Here's what I know now.
but the hp software is installed.
I went to this site http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/modelsand tried to install drivers because mine were a few versions old. Installation stopped

warning: There are 7 missing REQUIRED dependencies.
note: Installation of dependencies requires an active internet connection.
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: gcc (gcc - GNU Project C and C++ Compiler)
warning: This installer cannot install 'gcc' for your distro/OS and/or version.
error: Installation cannot continue without this dependency. Please manually install this dependency and re-run this installer.

So, I opened up package manager and installed hplip-gui and its requirements. Software was installed but doesn't recognized the printer at all. The printer was recongnized when Mint 7 was installed (so I can print) but still no scanner or fax capabilites. I'm out of ideas.

Computer specs:
Mint 7 - Main - 32bit
P4 2.8 proc
800 mghz front side bus
3gig mem
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Video Guy wrote:I went to this site http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/modelsand tried to install drivers because mine were a few versions old. Installation stopped

warning: There are 7 missing REQUIRED dependencies.
note: Installation of dependencies requires an active internet connection.
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: gcc (gcc - GNU Project C and C++ Compiler)
warning: This installer cannot install 'gcc' for your distro/OS and/or version.
error: Installation cannot continue without this dependency. Please manually install this dependency and re-run this installer.
Lie to the installer when it asks you if are running Linux Mint, and tell it you are running Ubuntu (being sure to pick the equivalent version of Ubuntu to your Mint version). I had the same thing happen, and that is what I had to due to get the installer to pull the correct dependencies.
Video Guy

Post by Video Guy »

All In One HP printer is working!!

Thanks for everyones help.
I used Lantesh's trick by selection Ubuntu 9.04, not Linux Mint 7, to udpate drivers and that was the final fix.

thanks to all
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Your're welcome. I'm glad my tip worked out for you. 8)

Return to “Beginner Questions”