gDesklets install info.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aehjr1

gDesklets install info.

Post by aehjr1 »

Hi all!

I wanted to get a desktop applet which showed network traffic speeds all the time, and found that gDesklets seems to fit the bill. I installed using the Package Manager and eagerly tried starting the program--which naturally failed without any indication of why. I looked at the man page ("man gdesklets") which showed me how to executed from the command line with various options which showed useful error messages. So I proceeded to go about "fixing" the "broken" application and have been successful thus far.

I wanted to share what I found in hopes it will be useful to others.

First I found a problem with /usr/lib/gdesklets/gdesklet which declared executable "#!/usr/bin/python2.5"; of course, Gloria uses "python2.6". Using grep I found other scripts declaring "python2.5", so obviously the best thing to do is create a symbolic link:

Code: Select all

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/python2.5 /usr/bin/python2.6
Now I got messages stating "connecting to daemon" but that timed out, with additional spurious error, "Could not import tiling module!"

Running through additional "gdesklets" options, the "gdesklets check" showed this error:
ERROR:/build/buildd/pyorbit-2.24.0/src/pyorbit-utils.c:39:_pyorbit_escape_name: assertion failed: (keyword_mod != NULL)
Some googling gave me this page which was the final clue to get all working. I copied the original file for safekeeping and made the indicated edits from the URL:

sudo cp /usr/lib/gdesklets/utils/ErrorFormatter.py /usr/lib/gdesklets/utils/ErrorFormatter.py.orig
sudo vi /usr/lib/gdesklets/utils/ErrorFormatter.py
I happen to like vi, but any text editor can be used to make the change. The Python code change is minor, but I still copied the original line to comment for posterity and of course added a comment as to what I did. The code snippet now looks like this:

# 09/08/09:per article=http://forums.opensuse.org/applications/409465-fix-gdesklets.html
#def _new_imp(name, globs = {}, locls = {}, fromlist = []):
def _new_imp(name, globs = {}, locls = {}, fromlist = [], test = []):
Going back to the MintMenu, I was now able to start the gDesklets program without error and added the applet I desired, SideCandy Network.

HTH any who look to add gDesklets to Gloria.

Arnold
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
markcynt

Re: gDesklets install info.

Post by markcynt »

Thanks for the tip. :)

Hopefully this will help someone.
dkjMusic

Post by dkjMusic »

aehjr1, your instructions worked like a charm to get gDesklets up and running on Ubuntu 10.10 beta.

Thanks very much. It's refreshing to actually find a solution that works with a Linux problem. :D
DerekMessina

Post by DerekMessina »

Nice! Thanks for the tip. kudos!

Return to “Beginner Questions”