Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Log in screen resolution problems

Post by cmost »

Well, the way I always control the resolution of the GDM screen is to include the "Virtual" parameter in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Now I realize the latest version of Mint includes a very rudimentary xorg.conf since most things are autodetected these days. Nevertheless, you can use your own xorg.conf and it will override any default settings. Make sure you have something like the following in your xorg.conf:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "Configured Video Device"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
DefaultColorDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1680x1050" "1440x900" "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
Virtual 1680 1050
EndSubSection

Obviously, you would set resolutions relevant to your monitor. Whatever your desired resolution, just add the line "Virtual" below the "Modes" and set it to the resolution you want (i.e., 1680 1050 in my case.) Note: there should NOT be an "x" between the horrizontal and virtical resolutions in the "Virtual" line.

Good luck!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Log in screen resolution problems

Post by cmost »

I don't think you can use the "Virtual" line without a corresponding "Modes" line. For the login, X will default to the first resolution defined in the “mode” entry. Therefore, you must select the resolution you want (i.e., “1280×1024″) and move it at the first position. The “Virtual” entry is typically used to have a larger desktop resolution than screen resolution (you can reach the zones “outside the screen” by moving your mouser pointer to the edges). Your Virtual section should have the same size you want for the login resolution (say 1280 1024).

Another way to control GDM's resolution is to use xrandr

You can direct xrandr to set a different resolution using the following command

Code: Select all

xrandr --output VGA --mode 1024×768 --rate 75
Add undetected resolutions

Due to buggy hardware or drivers, your monitor’s correct resolutions may not always be detected

If the mode already exists, but just isn’t associated for the particular output using the following command

Code: Select all

xrandr --addmode VGA 1024×768
Note: Changes you make using xrandr only last through the current session.

Set xrandr changes persistently

There are several ways to make xrandr customizations permanent from session to session:

a) .xprofile

A user’s ~/.xprofile file is executed on Xorg startup if it exists and is executable. You can copy and paste xrandr command line strings into this file so they’re executed when you log in

b) kdm/gdm

Both KDM and GDM have startup scripts that are executed when X is initiated. For GDM, these are in /etc/gdm/, while for KDM this is done at /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup. In either case, you can paste in an xrandr command line string into one of these scripts.

This process requires root access and mucking around in system config files, but will take effect earlier in the startup process than using .xprofile, and will apply to all users including the login screen.
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100

Return to “Beginner Questions”