No Wireless Connection After Reboot

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
milen

No Wireless Connection After Reboot

Post by milen »

Hello, all !

I recently installed the beautiful Linux Mint 7 and was really astonished to see that it grew so much in so small period of time. You guys had made the perfect OS in my personal opinion!!!!

I used Mint 5 and was so pleased to see that in Mint 7 there is a driver for the Broadcom Wireless cards. I had to use ndiswrapper with Mint 5 but with Mint 7 the Broadcom STA Driver, included in Hardware Drivers section, just worked when I installed it.

The problem I have appears on the next boot. The wireless does not work. When I go to the Hardware Drivers section I could see that the driver is installed and activated BUT it says that it is NOT in use. So I deactivate and activate it again and the wireless is back! I suppose that it is question of blacklisting something and/or adding a module to be booted but I can not figure out what exactly I have to do. I have bcm43xx blacklisted but it does not solve the problem. May be I have to blacklist the default wireless driver to let the Broadcom STA Driver to load correctly.

Thank you for the help,
Milen
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
milen

SOLVED | No Wireless Connection After Reboot

Post by milen »

Hello,

Problem solved by blacklisting bcm43xx, b43, b43legacy, ssb, and adding module wl to /etc/modules.

Greetings,
Milen
Husse

Re: No Wireless Connection After Reboot

Post by Husse »

This is and oddity that some people experience
It should be easily fixed with some editing

Code: Select all

gksu gedit /etc/rc.local
(for KDE kdesudo kate)
Just before exit 0 add

Code: Select all

modprobe -r wl
modprobe wl
The STA driver is called wl as a module - confusing....
This will unload and load wl late in the boot process
Edit
I did not see that you had solved it - and your solution is better :)
milen

Re: No Wireless Connection After Reboot

Post by milen »

Thank you for your post!

It's good to have different ways to solve a problem. Your solution helped me learn more.

Thank you,
Milen

Return to “Networking”